Spring Air Back Supporter Mattress Reviews

Spring Air Back Supporter Mattress

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Spring Air Back Supporter Mattress~Puts Support &Some Bounce On Your Bed~But Won't Prevent Surgery!

Apr 13, 2007 (Updated Apr 14, 2007)

Pros:Solid Firm support with a bit of spring...this model is called Carmel Valley.

Cons:hump in the middle of mattress between you and where your partner sleep.

The Bottom Line: Provides a good comfortable nights sleep..If you have a chronic back condition, this will not cure it but will aide in helping you sleep better

Oh, my aching back or I can‘t get any sleep...How many times have you heard those words? I know I’ve said them at least a million times and now, with two back surgeries under my belt, so to speak, I still utter them occasionally but not for the same reason or as often.

After my first surgery nearly 6 years ago I had some relief for about 2 years then the pain gradually started again, in both my back and legs. After some intensive testing it was found I had some nerve damage from the surgery itself, peripheral neuropathy, which caused the leg pains, though I now manage the pain with medication, but my back got progressively worse…. I was told by my Orthopedic surgeon that the progressive Spinal Stenosis, caused by the arthritis that I have in my spine, can not be cured but another less invasive surgery would help me by replacing the damaged disk above the rods and bolts I have in my back from the last surgery… yup, call be bionic Barb…I was going to get a new part!

Believe me, I wasn’t in a rush to have more surgery, even if it was new “cutting edge technology,” so to speak…. So, we decided to get a new mattress first, ours was about 9 or 10 years old and I noticed last year, after two stays in hotels and, at my daughters timeshare, where the mattresses we slept on were firmer and newer than on my bed at home, that the pain was somewhat less when I awoke in the mornings.

During our stay at the Hilton Hotel in Palm Beach I looked at the tag on the mattress we had been sleeping on….Hmm, Spring Air Back Supporter it said...I’ll have remember that.

When we arrived home I looked up Spring Air on-line, liked what I read about the mattresses and noticed they were was sold at J.C.Penney’s… since we have a Penney’s Home Store just a few minutes from my house we decided to go over there to check out their mattresses …we were in luck too since they were having a big sale that week.

I explained my back situation to the salesman who had quickly come to help us. We also told him we needed a mattress which could be used on a platform bed that is part of the big wall unit we had built years ago…It had to have enough support along with some bounce without the box spring used with most mattresses.

He took us over to the Back Supporter line of mattresses by Spring Air, where there was quite a good selection on display and a few that appealed to us and our pocketbook… he told us to go ahead and lie on them to see which had the most appeal and comfort.

These particular models of mattresses have extra support built in to them due to the fact that they are mattresses you do not turn over because of the zoned coils and foam technology used in the manufacturing…These techniques and materials are said to provide extra back relief, with superior support and comfort. Perfect for a platform bed since all those coils and foam are on the one side you sleep on. The other side is just flat and hard.

A little history

Spring air has been in business since 1926, manufacturing new and innovative sleep support systems with great success…the founder of the company is said to have been a great believer in manufacturing mattresses that have “free-end offset coil design,” which adjusts to each persons weight…All told, that seemed very impressive to me and the perfect kind of mattress we would need since hubby is much taller then I am and he weighs much more than I do.

After many years of continuous product innovations, through the 40’s and 50’s, Spring Air came out with their first “Back Supporter Collection” of mattresses in the early 60’s…..When their sales doubled they knew they were on to something and kept up the good work with better, more creative ideas for making a good nights sleep available to all.

As more and more people became exercise aficionados, maybe to the point of doing too much, therefore doing damage to their lumber regions, Spring Air continued to offer more degrees of back support.

When they added pillow top mattresses to their line in the early 70’s, sales soared, then came Conforma Foam which conforms to your necks, shoulders and, of course, your lower back…In the nineties they offered the 3 zone system, then 7 zones and on and on…in the year 2000 they introduced the “latest sensation in sleep innovation” , Foam Encased Perimeter Wireless Edge providing more comfort, and more edge to edge sleeping surface which creates a better sitting edge and expands the usable sleep surface by 20%. They also say the rows of zoned coils that are designed to alternate at each end will prevent the lean and sway issue found in many mattresses and will minimize motion between sleep mates…..Hmmm, I don’t know about that being a good idea…*grin*

Our Experience

We decided we didn’t want a pillow top since the mattress itself is 13 inches in height, which was about an inch higher than our old mattress was and I didn’t want to have to go out and buy all new sheets, with the pillow top it was 15 inches…. Also, when we sat on the edge of two pillowtop beds, the sides really buckled under our weight, even with that “expanding sitting edge” mentioned as a one of their good points…this did not happen on the bed without the pillow top…besides that, we have a wonderful down feather bed we often use on top of our mattress …I do not own any sheets would have fit the height the mattress would become with all those feathers.

We laid down on a few of the mattresses and ruled out those that seemed too soft…hubby liked one right away but I thought it was a bit on the hard side, though after about 10 minutes I decided I liked the way it felt under me too…the top was nice and soft with no buttons, just tufted circles…It had a nice bounce to it and seemed to have really good back support so we made our deal…we even received an added 15% discount off the price, taking advantage of their offer of no interest charges, when opening a charge account if we paid it off within 12 months, which we did..The price came to $750.00 including delivery and removing the old mattress.

On delivery day, the men came on time, put the new mattress on our platform, removed the old one and were gone in just a few minutes…I couldn’t wait to make the bed up and lie down on it ….oh my, it seemed awfully hard…It was strange sleeping those first few nights since it was difficult to get used to all that support under my back. I hadn’t realized just how bad the old mattress was… Within a few weeks I was used to this firmness and really liked it...I enjoyed getting into bed at night, the mattress felt so good to lie on, even my legs felt better, felt really good as a matter of fact…But alas, this mattress didn’t cure my arthritic back.

Now, just about 10 months later, we still are happy with our mattress, the only problem we have is that right in the middle, lengthwise, there is a small hump caused by the way the mattress has conformed to each of our body weights on the sides we sleep on...To bad the cat that sleeps between us doesn‘t weigh enough to even that out.

I did call customer service and they told me that’s to be expected since the mattress more or less conforms to our bodies on the sides we sleep on and when we rotate the mattress every few weeks or so that hump lessens….oh, did I mention you do have to rotate the mattress often, head to feet and feet to head...But don’t turn it over, all the good technologies and materials that make the mattress what it is, are only on one side.

No, this mattress didn’t prevent my need for that second back surgery, but no mattress would have done that since the damage was already done, but, it certainly has proven to be a very comfortable mattress, and felt quite wonderful to me when I was able to get back into my very own bed after the hospital stay…..not only that, but it felt pretty good during the weeks I had to spend in bed recovering....I was certainly glad I was on our new
Spring Air Back Supporter Mattress.

When my hubby and I just discussed the mattress I wanted his unbiased opinion as to what he thought about it on a scale of 1-10...He gave it an 8...I agree. He sleeps like a baby on the thing and hardly ever wakes up feeling tired or achy, and at his age, that’s a good thing, as for me, I love the feel of the mattress each time I get into bed, I fall asleep pretty quickly but still wake up a bit achy in the mornings, but that’s my body and the arthritis, I do know I feel a lot less achy than I used to feel with much less pain in my back and legs, that’s a good thing!

Well, that’s my story about our new mattress….thanks for reading, I wish you all good nights sleep....But I hope my review didn’t put you to sleep!

Spring Air Back Supporter Plush Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - CONTESSA PLUSH-TWIN

Shop for Mattresses from Hayneedle.com! Define comfort? Okay, how about the Spring Air Back Supporter Plush Mattress and Box Spring Set? This set is C...

Full Spring Air Back Supporter Platinum Opal Euro Top Mattress Set

Full Spring Air Back Supporter Platinum Opal Euro Top Mattress Set

The Spring Air Back Supporter Platinum Opal Euro Top Mattress Set comes in Cal King, King, Queen, Full, and Twin sizes.
US - Mattress

Spring Air Back Supporter Firm Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - ALEXIS FIRM-FULL, Full

Shop for Mattresses from Hayneedle.com! Get the support you need with the Spring Air Back Supporter Firm Mattress and Box Spring Set. This exceptional...

Full Spring Air Back Supporter Value Anchor Bay Plush Mattress Set

Full Spring Air Back Supporter Value Anchor Bay Plush Mattress Set

The Spring Air Back Supporter Value Anchor Bay Plush Mattress Set comes in Cal King, King, Queen, Full, and Twin sizes.
US - Mattress

Spring Air Back Supporter Plush Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - CONTESSA PLUSH-QUEEN, Queen

Twin Spring Air Back Supporter Perfect Balance Savannah Plush Mattress Set

Twin Spring Air Back Supporter Perfect Balance Savannah Plush Mattress Set

The Spring Air Back Supporter Perfect Balance Savannah Plush Mattress Set comes in Cal King, King, Queen, Full, and Twin sizes.
US - Mattress

Spring Air Back Supporter Plush Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - CONTESSA PLUSH-FULL, Full

Hayneedle

Spring Air Back Supporter Pillow Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - SERENITY BOX PILLOW TOP-FULL, Full

Spring Air Back Supporter Pillow Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - SERENITY BOX PILLOW TOP-FULL, F...

Shop for Mattresses from Hayneedle.com! Are you in the comfort zone? Well, be prepared to enter with the Spring Air Back Supporter Pillow Top Mattress...

King Spring Air Back Supporter Platinum Opal Euro Top Mattress Set

King Spring Air Back Supporter Platinum Opal Euro Top Mattress Set

US - Mattress

Spring Air Back Supporter Pillow Top Mattress and Box A & E Spring Set Multicolor - SERENITY BOX PILLOW TOP-QUEEN, Queen