St. Ives St Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating 12oz Jar All Types Reviews

St. Ives St Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating 12oz Jar All Types

Scrub In A Tub: St Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating Jar

Mar 31, 2008

Pros:good to use as a body scrub

Cons:can be too harsh on sensitive facial skin

The Bottom Line: This product does a good job at exfoliating but can be harsh on sensitive skin.

Sometimes using an exfoliating scrub on my sensitive skin feels so harsh that I might as well be washing my face with gravel. I am always on the look out for products with natural ingredients and those that promise great results.

I tried this item a few years ago after seeing numerous commercials proclaiming it to be a natural way to get beautiful skin. And who wouldn't want that? It has remained in my shower cubby ever since (a little bit goes a long way!) and so I finally thought I would write an Epinion about my experience with it.

The Product: St. Ives Apricot Scrub

St. Ives Apricot Invigorating Scrub as Described on www.drugstore.com

Gently exfoliates dull surface cells to instantly reveal smooth, radiant, healthy skin

All skin types
Discover the Swiss Secrets for Smooth, Radiant Skin
Over the centuries, the Swiss have developed and perfected their secrets for naturally beautiful skin. Only St. Ives captures these secrets in this deep cleansing formula with 100% natural exfoliants that gently exfoliates, removing dull skin cells to instantly reveal smooth, radiant, healthy skin.

Pure Swiss Glacial Water ~ Nature's pure form of moisture
Swiss Botanicals ~ Skin nourishing
100% Natural Exfoliants ~ Smoothing
This product not tested on animals.

My Experience:

One of the major things to keep in mind about this scrub is that if you are like me and have sensitive skin, this product is much too abrasive to use on your face on a daily basis.

The first time that I tried this, I am certain that I scrubbed too hard when applied to my face (just as you would use regular soap), because I felt that I have to really get it circulating to remove dead, dull skin cells. The first day my face was fine. The next day and day after, however, my face became red and irritated. It was clear to me that I shouldn't use this as an everyday scrub.

I have purchased the St. Ives Apricot Scrub for sensitive skin as well, and even that I would not recommend using on the face every day. So using the regular formula on my face became something much too harsh to consider continuing to do regularly.

I noticed with this formula that there are many, many tiny beads and so the formula really does not lather . When using this as an occasional exfoliater, I always use my regular face wash beforehand to suds away oil. Then I use this to remove the dead skin cells for my skin to feel soft and smooth.

With my sensitive skin, I only use this product maybe once a week and then massage it very lightly into my skin. I also only do this if I have run out of the sensitive skin formula. However, I have found a great alternative use for the regular scrub formula.

Other Use:

If you have sensitive skin, I would recommend using this as a body exfoliater. Since it is meant for use on the face (for those with regular skin types) I have found that it is a gentle way to use as a body exfoliater. The beads do a great job of making my skin smooth and I have often used it before using a self tanner (the self tanner has always been a disaster, but the exfoliater is goof proof!).

Even when using as a body wash, I make sure not to scrub too hard or my skin will become red and irritated. I gently work the product across my skin. It really does not take much pressure to get good results with this, because as I mentioned earlier there are so many little beads! .

Natural?

I would have to say, that since I have recently begun using organic beauty products, I am let down by the misleading description of this product.

It is misleading to say 100% natural exfoliants, because someone might not stop to think about all the chemicals that go in to surround the beads. By looking at the ingredients you will find this product is far from being natural.

Ingredients

Water (Aqua), Juglans Mandschurica Shell Powder (Walnut), Glyceryl Stearate SE, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Zea Mays Kernel Meal (Corn), Cetyl Alcohol, Linoleamide DEA, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Lanolin Oil, Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Oil (Apricot), Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Primula Veris Extract, Helianthus Annuus Extract (Sunflower), Chamomilla Recutita Extract (Matricaria), Ceteareth 20, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

There's that darn Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Cetearyl Alcohol! I have sensitive skin and this product did not cause adverse reactions (except from using too often or scrubbing too hard), but I will probably not purchase again and try to find a more natural body scrub.

One Jar Goes a Long Way:

I have had the same jar for years. I rarely use it, except as a body scrub in the summer (my skin is dry in the winter) and as a facial exfoliater only until I can purchase more of the sensitive formula.

After viewing the St.Ives inventory on drugstore.com, I am not sure if they still make this product in a jar. However, it is the same formula in the tube. A tube can be purchased at any drugstore or Wal-Mart for around $4.

Final:

In my opinion, this is a good body exfoliater but does not work well when used on my face often. I do not plan to buy another jar/tube of this in the future because I am trying to find more natural products, and there are quite a few chemicals in St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

Thanks for reading!

St. Ives Apricot Invigorating Scrub
St. Ives Apricot Cleanser Blemish-fighting - 6.5 Oz (3 Pack)

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser Blemish-fighting - 6.5 Oz (3 Pack)

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser Blemish-Fighting - 6.5 oz (3 PACK)

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish Control, 10 Oz (pack Of 2)

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish Control, 10 Oz (pack Of 2)

Product Description Pack of two, 10-ounce jars of St. Ives Apricot Scrub Naturally Clear Blemish and Blackhead Control Scrub Scrub exfoliates to preve...

St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub, 6 oz

St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub, 6 oz

The St Ives Swiss Formula Invigorating Apricot Scrub is the ideal way to start or end your day. With an oil-free formula that helps cleanse and soothe...

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser Blemish-fighting - 6.5 Oz

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser Blemish-fighting - 6.5 Oz

Ives Apricot Cleanser Blemish-Fighting - 6.5 oz

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser 6.5-ounce Blemish Fighting Cream

St. Ives Apricot Cleanser 6.5-ounce Blemish Fighting Cream

Apricot cleanser blemish fighting was launched by the design house of St. Ives for unisex. This cleanser, with natural microbeads and apricot extracts...
St. Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating For All Skin Types 6 Oz

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating For All Skin Types 6 Oz

♦ Dealsbuzz ♦ St. Ives Apricot Scrub INVIGORATING For All Skin Types 6 OZ ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Description Discover the Swiss secrets fo...

St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub 6 oz

St Ives Invigorating Apricot Scrub 6 oz

Find facial skin care at Target.com! From america's #1 scrub brand, the award-winning apricot scrub deep cleans, instantly leaving skin smooth and glo...

St Ives Apricot Blemish Control Scrub Oil Free Natural Exfoliants 1 Oz Travel

St Ives Apricot Blemish Control Scrub Oil Free Natural Exfoliants 1 Oz Travel

ST IVES APRICOT BLEMISH CONTROL SCRUB OIL FREE NATURAL EXFOLIANTS 1 OZ travel ST IVES APRICOT SCRUB BLEMISH CONTROL Prevents Blackheads Minimizes pore...

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating For All Skin Types 6 Oz (2 Pack)

St. Ives Apricot Scrub Invigorating For All Skin Types 6 Oz (2 Pack)

♦ Dealsbuzz ♦ St. Ives Apricot Scrub INVIGORATING For All Skin Types 6 OZ (2 PACK) ♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦ Description Discover the Swiss s...