St. Pauli Girl Lager

You Never Forget Your First Girl

Jul 17, 2000 (Updated Jul 17, 2000)

Pros:Readily available import

Cons:Lighter side for a German beer

It's true what they say: you never forget your first girl. That's a slogan the St. Pauli Girl brewery has used for a long time. I never forgot my first girlfriend, nor have I forgotten my first St. Pauli Girl beer. While I can't see my first girl anymore, I still can have a St. Pauli girl beer any time I want. The advantages of beer.

This beer was my first step up in the beer world. In my budding beer drinking days, I started out with Busch but soon stepped up to St. Pauli Girl by the case. To me at the time, the additional expense was well justified by the great taste that St. Pauli Girl exhibited. The posters didn't hurt either. Each year a new St. Pauli Girl was featured on a poster and given away at liquor stores where the beer was sold.

The brewery itself is located in Bremen, Germany. It's built on the site of the old St. Pauli monastery there, hence the name (the St. Pauli part, the Girl is purely for the American market). If you find girls like these in a monastery let me know, I'm joining it.

The beer pours to a light golden color with a light fizzy head formation. The nose is light and slightly hoppy, the palate is fresh and crisp with a delicate malt body and a balancing but light hop bitterness in the finish. This is actually a pretty darned good beer, loosely a pilsner. There have been rumors about adjuncts in this brew (corn for example), but it is Reinheitsgebot-certified. There are better German imports in my opinion, but from time to time I still enjoy this beer, especially on a hot summer night like tonight. It's crisp refreshing character lends it to pairing with most foods, tonight it was great with home-made pizza with tomato slices and basil.

st pauli T-Shirt

st pauli T-Shirt

Dark T-shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Charcoal Grey is 50% cotton/50% polyesterCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
Cafepress.com

St. Pauli Germany Bundesliga Uefa Football Soccer T Shirt

St. Pauli Germany Bundesliga Uefa Football Soccer T Shirt

FC St. Pauli of Germany Show your support for Die Freibeuter der Liga Show your support and loyalty for the Buccaneers of St. Pauli, the most unique f...

CafePress St Pauli Baseball T-Shirt

CafePress St Pauli Baseball T-Shirt

Baseball Jersey T-Shirt6.1 oz. 100% heavyweight cottonContrasted neckline and 3/4 raglan sleevesStandard fitMachine wash cold, no bleach

CafePress St.Pauli Dark T-Shirt

CafePress St.Pauli Dark T-Shirt

CafePress St Pauli Brewery T-Shirt

Men's Fitted T-Shirt4.3 oz. 100% ultra-fine combed ring-spun jerseyMade in the USA, by American ApparelLean fit, size up for looser fit in bodyMachine...

CafePress St Pauli Fitted T-Shirt

CafePress St Pauli Fitted T-Shirt

Men's Fitted T-Shirt4.3 oz. 100% ultra-fine combed ring-spun jerseyMade in the USA, by American ApparelSlim fit, size up for looser fit Machine Wash C...

CafePress.com

CafePress St Pauli T-Shirt (white)

CafePress St Pauli T-Shirt (white)

100% preshrunk cotton6.1 ozCrew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold
CafePress.com

CafePress St Pauli T-Shirt (grey)

CafePress St Pauli T-Shirt (grey)

Classic T-Shirt100% preshrunk cotton, Ash Grey is a 90/10 Cotton/Poly Blend6.1 ozTagless, Crew NecklineStandard FitMachine Wash Cold