Stanley Bostitch 00540 Extra-Heavy-Duty Stapler Reviews

Stanley Bostitch 00540 Extra-Heavy-Duty Stapler

Not Only A Great Stapler -- But Customer Service was Phenomenal

Mar 8, 2007 (Updated Mar 21, 2007)

Pros:handles large stacks of papers, heavy-duty construction, excellent customer service

Cons:the plastic end on the staple loader broke (but customer service was great)

The Bottom Line: Stapling thick stacks of paper? This Stanley Bostitch stapler is one to consider purchasing.

We own two of the Stanley Extra Heavy Duty Staplers – Model # 00540. One of them is located in shipping where a lot of documents are processed. The other stapler is in the engineering department … so you can imagine how much paper activity that stapler sees.

Description

This stapler is large, measuring 15” long x 3 1/4” wide x 10 3/4” tall. It is also heavy at about four pounds. The stapler has two large rubber footings on the bottom at either end, so it sits securely on a flat surface. Except for the two rubber footings, the bottom of the base is hollow with one metal bracket across its width beneath the staple cinch plate (perhaps for added strength).

Most of this stapler is of metal construction. The few plastic parts are the end of the spring device that holds the staples and the adjustable paper stop. There are several parts to this stapler: 1) the large rectangular bottom piece where the staple cinch plate is located, 2) a hinged handle that lowers to impact the staples against the cinch plate, 3) the spring plunger that loads the staples into the back end of the stapler, 4) an adjustable paper stop on the base.

The large rectangular base is marked with both metric and English rulers. The English ruler measures up to 3”. The staple cinch plate is located in the middle of the rectangular base and is constructed of silver metal with a deep impression to handle larger staples. The "staple magazine" is about 6" long and is attached to the underside of the long handle.

The top of the stapler is much different from a traditional desktop stapler. The handle measures about 11 1/2” long. It has a 4” finger grip area to hold the handle and pull it toward the base.

Note that the reference to 200 sheet capacity for this product listing is incorrect. This stapler is designed to staple up to 250 pages according to both the product and the manufacturer’s website.

The Staples

This stapler uses a variety of different length staples: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8”, 13/16” and 15/16”. Stanley Bostitch recommends using Bostitch SB35 heavy duty staples.

On top of the rectangular base is a diagram that shows the various staple sizes and how much paper the staples will handle.

3/8" staples -- staple up to 60 sheets
1/2" staples -- staple 50 to 120 sheets
5/8" staples -- staple 120 to 160 sheets
13/16” staples – staple 140 to 200 sheets
15/16” staples – staple 170 to 250 sheets

Our company uses Swingline heavy duty 3/8” staples that staple up to 60 sheets of paper.
The manufacturer specifications state this stapler will staple up to 250 sheets of paper.

The Paper Stop

There is a red plastic Paper Stop that makes it easy to consistently place staples in the same place on documents. Measurements are engraved into the metal base to easily position the Paper Stop. The deepest Paper Stop measurement is 3". If you prefer the staple to rest kitty corner (rather than parallel) to the paper edges, the Paper Stop is hollow in the center to allow the corner of the paper to fit through it.

Inserting the Staples

The staples load from the rear of the stapler. At the back end of the is a piece of black plastic that extends beyond the end of the stapler. This device holds the staples inside the stapler. To open the area where the staples are placed, push this extended button and lift up on it. The spring device that holds the staples inside the stapler will then slide out. Place a new strip of staples inside the stapler on top of the two metal guide rails. Then insert the spring device to lock the staples in place. The stapler is now loaded and ready to work.

Here is where I give kudos to Stanley’s customer service. On one of the staplers we use, the black plastic piece broke off from the spring device that loads the staples into the stapler. Since this piece was broken, the stapler had no way to hold in the staples. Instead of immediately purchasing a new stapler, I visited Stanley’s website and clicked the Chat button to communicate “live” with a customer service rep. Briefly, I stated the spring device that loads the staples had broken; could I get a new one. The customer representative asked for my name, company name and address and said she would send one to me at no charge. I should receive it within a week. Excellent!

Our Experiences

Everyone who uses this stapler is happy with its performance. The handle is easy to hold and push downward to staple pages. If stapling deep stacks of paper, it does require some strength to drive the staple through the paper. On average, we staple stacks of paper between 20 to 60 sheets thick and have no problem using the stapler.

Yes, this stapler does occasionally jam. We unload the stapler and place a pencil behind the cinch plate and then lower the handle until the jammed staple is released. This works pretty well, though, I have witnessed some people asking others for help with jams.

As for removing these heavy-duty staples from pages stapled together … well, I don’t have much luck doing that. It is possible, but a regular staple remover is not much help.

This stapler is a durable product. It has heavy metal construction and still looks basically new despite years of use. I am looking at the stapler from the shipping department, and the most “wear” I see on it is a thick gathering of dust around the unused measurements engraved on the rectangular base.

Purchasing

We purchased our staplers from Staples for about $60.00 each. The staples vary in price depending upon staple size and brand. The Bostitch staples sell for about $4.50 per box. Bostitch also makes a heavy-duty staple remover that Staples sells for $8.39.

Summary

We are pleased with the Stanley Extra Heavy Duty Stapler – Model # 00540. It does a great job of stapling our documents of up to 60 pages. It’s especially reassuring to know that Stanley stands behind their product. I would definitely purchase another one of these staplers.

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Stanley Heavy Duty Stapler for up to 120 Sheets

Stanley Anti-Jam Full-Strip Stapler

Swingline Classic Plus Full-Strip Stapler (Model # 747)

Swingline Full-Strip Stapler with built-in staple remover (Model # 818)

Swingline Tot 50 Standard Stapler