Starbucks Via Ready Brew, Colombia Blend Reviews

Starbucks Via Ready Brew, Colombia Blend

ratings (5 Epinions reviews)

Starbucks VIA Columbia instant coffee

Feb 3, 2012

Pros:Bold.  Easy to make.  Very portable.

Cons:Lacks character, too strong for my tastes.

The Bottom Line: An easy to make coffee that transports easily.

I bought this purely to review. I’m not wild about Starbucks, when you want a sugar rush with a coffee that can handle a lot of sugar/creamer, Starbucks is the way to go. Lighter coffee roasts don’t hold up to lots of sugar and creamer. I am more of a purist and I like my coffee straight without sugar and creamer. (But if you need a really pick me up, get 6-8 shots in a tall cup with lots of cream and sugar. Just make sure you don’t have any heart problems because it will wire you up for the remainder of the day. I’m sure there isn’t a doctor out there that would recommend that cup for a healthy individual……..But I digress once again.)

This instant coffee is designed with this Starbucks tradition in mind. Dark and bold. It is made with their darker roasted beans (darker roasted then most competitors.) And this instant coffee holds up that tradition very well.

It is freeze dried. Freeze dried is the best way to preserve substances, including display animals. This is also what they do to some food on shuttle missions or for backpackers. While it doesn’t compete with fresh products, it is the best way to preserve foods in my opinion.

Making this coffee is simple. Just get some hot water and pour the dried crystals in. Stir and drink. For this tasting I had to use 170 degree water stored in my Klean Kanteen insulated container. Since you’re rehydrating and not brewing, I have found that the temperature is not as critical as it is for fresh coffee.

The aroma had a sharp acid note to it. There was a little earthiness combined with a tad bit of sweetness. It doesn’t list any calories so the sweetness would come purely from the bean itself (unlike the caramel blend I previously reviewed.)

The taste was pretty bland. Nothing really special. But an immediate bitterness hit the middle and back of my tongue. Is this taste or a really fast aftertaste?
I did not like the taste this coffee produced.

The aftertaste was the same bitterness I mentioned above. It lingered for well over a minute. Strong coffee.

Now I did not add creamer or sugar while doing this tasting. If I did use this coffee in the future, I will use sugar and creamer.

Ingredients
Instant and microground coffee.

There is some residual particles at the bottom when you finish. It isn’t as bad as a French press (which I use daily), but may annoy those that use a coffee filter for their brewing method.

The packet is around 15 grams.

On package
Never be without great coffee
Starbucks VIA tm ready brew is a new kind of instant coffee that actually tastes like a freshly brewed cup of starbucks coffee. It’s 100% naturally roasted-no chemicals and no additives. We microgrind the world’s finest Arabica beans so that when you add hot water and stir, you release the full flavor and aroma of our great brewed coffees. Now you can always have a perfect cup of Colombia within easy reach.

Summary
This coffee is not meant to be drunk straight. It is too bitter for it (in my opinion at least, others will disagree). But because of this strong bitterness, it will hold up extremely well with creamer and sugar. So this is a good option if you want to add your own specialized cream, and control the amount of sugar. But if you don’t want to hassle with lugging around extras (this is meant for convenience) then just buy the Starbucks Caramel VIA. I just cannot recommend this coffee straight, unless you like strong coffee with out much character.
So what score should I give this? Drinking it straight up I would give it a 1. But it really is meant for sugar and creamer. It is also an impressive instant coffee. So with that in mind I am giving it a 2.58, and I’ll just round it up from there. This is really about convenience, not quality. With convenience in mind, it really is not a horrible coffee. And it stands up very very well to cream and sugar. And it does store well too, about a year or more.

If I were to evaluate it with creamer and sugar, I would also rate it at just under a 3.0