Stouffer's Home - Style Entree Meatloaf in Gravy with Mashed Potatoes Frozen Food 9.9oz

Stouffer's Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes - Comfort Food that Kills

Mar 8, 2008 (Updated Oct 28, 2009)

Pros:meat and gravy taste pretty good

Cons:mashed potatoes typical for frozen, high in fat and sodium

The Bottom Line: This wasn't a horrible meal, but for various reasons I wouldn't look to have it again.

Although I try to stick with healthier frozen meals for my overnight dinners, on occasion I try the regular meals. Usually I regret It because it just doesn’t taste all that good. Other times, I just cringe when I actually end up checking out the nutritional information despite a pretty decent taste.

The latter is the case with Stouffer’s Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes. While it was pretty decent in terms of taste, the nutritional content made it something I would cross off my list in the future.

To heat it up, Stouffer’s Meatloaf with Mashed Potatoes goes in the microwave for 5 minutes. It comes out at that time to stir the potatoes, then back into the microwave for 3 more minutes. That time was plenty to get it nice and hot, plus we’re now replaced the crappy microwave at work.

The meat portion is glazed with ketchup and in gravy. I found the meat to be a little tough. I needed a knife to cut it, as I couldn't break it apart with a plastic fork. However, it tasted pretty good. It didn’t seem overcooked or like a brick, but was fairly tender and moist. The ketchup coating gives it a good flavor without dominating the taste overall. There were bits of onion and green pepper visible in the meat. The gravy was a good consistency. It wasn’t too watery nor too thick. It gave the most flavor to the meat portion of the entree and had a good, beefy flavor.

However, the potatoes were more like the usual frozen potatoes. They were fairly bland and crusty in spots after being heated up. They could have used some salt or butter, but not wanting to kill myself with one meal, I just stirred the remaining gravy into it. That definitely improved the taste.

Nutritionally, the calorie content isn’t too bad. There are 340 calories in the entire meal. However, 180 of those are from fat. This meal is pretty high in fat with 20g of fat including 9g of saturated fat. In addition, the sodium content will kill anyone with blood pressure issues without adding any flavor to the potatoes. There’s a whopping 780mg of sodium in the meal, which represents 33% of the recommended daily allowance, and that’s without adding any real flavor to the potatoes. In addition there’s also 80mg of cholesterol, just in case you weren’t already totally blown away by the nutritional content.

I did find the meal to be filling. I was satisfied after eating this for the entire night and didn’t go looking for more to eat. I did like the taste of the meat portion, but thought the potatoes left a little to be desired. That’s typical of frozen mashed potatoes, though, and the exception seems to be when they actually taste good.

Overall the meal wasn’t bad, but I think I would rather stick with the healthier options available. The sacrifice in nutritional content didn’t improve the taste dramatically and for me, I had better be dazzled by the taste to recommend something so much higher in fat and sodium.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Water, Beef, Pork, Cream, Soybean Oil, Onions, Catsup (Tomatoes, Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Salt, Onion, Spices), Tomato Puree (Water, Tomato Paste), Soy Protein Concentrate (With Caramel Color), Modified Cornstarch, Salt, Soy Protein Concentrate, Rolled Oats, Whey Protein Concentrate, Green Peppers, Bleached Wheat Flour, Vital Wheat Gluten, Worcestershire Sauce (Distilled Vinegar, Molasses, Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Anchovies, Tamarind, Spice, Natural Flavor, Caramel Color, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder), Dehydrated Soy Sauce (Soybeans, Salt, Wheat), Dehydrated Sour Cream (Sour Cream [Cultured Cream, Nonfat Milk]), Sugar, Caramel Color, Dehydrated Onions, Beef Extract (Beef Extract, Maltodextrin, Salt), Flavor (Water, Flavor, Maltodextrin, Salt, Caramel Color, Contains Less Than 2% Of Lactic Acid, Lipolyzed Cream), Beef Flavor (Beef Stock, Flavor, Peanut Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean And/Or Cottonseed Oil, Natural Flavor), Mono- And Diglycerides, Yeast Extract, Spice, Dehydrated Garlic, Flavor (Maltodextrin And Natural Flavors [Made From Milk]), Cultured Whey, Guar Gum, Canola Oil, Natural Flavor, Paprika.

Contains Milk, Soy, Anchovy, And Wheat