Style Me Up Romantic Scarf Kit Reviews

Style Me Up Romantic Scarf Kit

ratings (1 Epinions review)

The Style Me Up "Romantic Scarf Kit" is a fun intro to loom knitting

Jan 28, 2012 (Updated Jan 28, 2012)

Pros:Quality loom, clear instructions, fun craft

Cons:The embroidery floss was a tangled mess, can buy looms without a whole kit

The Bottom Line: The scarf kit is a fun introduction to loom knitting that my daughter had fun learning.

For Christmas my daughter received the Style Me Up “Romantic Scarf Kit”. Style Me Up makes “make it yourself” fashion and style kits. This one comes with everything you need to knit a scarf. This kit is recommended for ages 8+.

The Romantic Scarf Kit comes with instructions, a wood knitting loom, crochet hook, wool, 3 skeins of embroidery floss, 3 containers of beads, a sheet of rhinestones.

Prior to getting this kit, I had never heard of loom knitting. This kit has a wood knitting loom about 1 foot long and an inch and a half wide. It contains two rows of 12 pegs in each row. If, like I was, you are not familiar with a knitting loom, the loom knitting allows you to wind the yarn around the pegs, and maneuver the yarn with a crochet hook which will create the scarf. The loom in the kit is very good quality. Although our kit has a wood loom, when I looked at the Style Me Up website it shows the kit with a plastic loom. I don’t know if they previously sold it with a plastic loom, or if maybe they are changing the kits to include plastic looms.

The crochet hook has a wood handle. The metal hook is not too sharp where I would be concerned about my daughter sticking herself with it.

The wool that comes with the kit is to create more of a stylish, fashionable scarf to wear to dress up an outfit, rather than a scarf for warmth. The packaging shows someone also wearing it around their waist. It is a ladder type wool. It has two rows of thin black wool, with small sections of variegated color connecting the rows. It runs through the colors of the rainbow.

The embroidery floss is used as part of the scarf fringe. I have been doing counted cross stitch for many years, and I have never come across skeins of embroidery floss wound so strangely. It took me over an hour just to untangle one skein.

There are three different colors of beading to be used to decorate the fringe. The clear rhinestones are also meant for a little bit of bedazzling on the scarf.

To begin, the instructions have you cutting out 26 ten inch lengths of wool, and 26 eleven inch lengths of each color of the embroidery floss. There is a ruler printed right on the instructions to measure the lengths. These lengths will be later used as the scarf fringe. Next, the manual will guide you in winding the wool around the pegs of the loom. The instructions are pretty clear. They are written, there is a color picture, and there is a diagram. Follow the instructions for winding the wool and then you can begin knitting, which is also clearly demonstrated.

This kit is recommended for ages 8 and up. My daughter is almost 7, so although I figured she could do part of it, I knew she would need some help. I had to take care of the tedious part of measuring the wool and floss for the fringe. She sat and watched me as we figured out how to arrange the wool on the pegs. When it came time to start knitting with the hook, I started it out. My daughter picked up on it quickly. She had no problem maneuvering the hook and pulling the wool over the pegs. However after each complete round around the loom, she would pass the loom back to me to wind the wool gain. Knitting her scarf had to be a joint effort.

My daughter really enjoyed making her scarf and she was impressed with how quickly she was able to do it. I really like that she quickly learned how to make a handmade craft. I enjoyed doing it with her, and I have since bought my own knitting looms to make more projects. I have made a scarf and a hat in the past week! She wants to make a hat of her own now.

This kit was around $20. It was a good way to learn about loom knitting and the hook and loom are of good quality. However if I had known about loom knitting prior to getting this kit I may have been a little hesitant to buy it, with the consideration that I can buy her a loom and hook at a craft store. But in the end I do think the kit was a good thing. I had everything we needed all in one box, and we still have a quality loom to use again. The instructions were clear and gave us both a good introduction to basic loom knitting. I just suggest confirming whether you are getting a wood or plastic loom with the kit.

If you are ready to learn a new craft and have fun doing it, and you prefer getting a kit, I would suggest the Style Me Up “Romantic Scarf Kit”.

Romantic Floral Border Scarf

Romantic Floral Border Scarf

Lightweight and airy, in shades of beautiful blues, this scarf is generously sized to be also worn as a shawl. 100% rayon. Imported. 42 sq. Only in No...

Romantic Sweet Style Stripe And Tiny Floral Print Scarf

Romantic Sweet Style Stripe And Tiny Floral Print Scarf

STRIPE AND TINY FLORAL PRINT SCARF MEASURES APPROX: 59 X 21 INCHES FEELS SILKY SMOOTH

Romantic Rose Tassel Scarf

Romantic Rose Tassel Scarf

A woven scarf featuring a rose print. Twisted tassel ends. Semi-sheer. Lightweight. DETAILS:approx. 24.5'' width x 76'' length100% rayonHand wash cold...
Collection 18 Scarf Black Open Weave Stiff Lacy Wrap Sequins Romantic Macys

Collection 18 Scarf Black Open Weave Stiff Lacy Wrap Sequins Romantic Macys

This listing is for a beautiful Collection Eighteen black open weave lacy sequired wrap scarf that was originally sold at Macys. Our pictures do not d...

Elegant Romantic Feathers Wide Loop Circle Eternity Infinity Scarf Chain Mint

Elegant Romantic Feathers Wide Loop Circle Eternity Infinity Scarf Chain Mint

Description Features Info New All Season Light Cute Fun Colorful Elegant Romantic Feather Print Wide Big Infinity Eternity Loop Chain Circle Scarf 34 ...

Romantic Paisley Pattern Scarf

Romantic Paisley Pattern Scarf

FREE SHIPPING. Powered by eBay Turbo Lister The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.

Tasha 'Tattoo Me Twice' Scarf

Tasha 'Tattoo Me Twice' Scarf

An intricate paisley print swirls across a soft, semi-sheer scarf edged in a feathery eyelash fringe. Color(s): black/ blush, blue/ blush, red/ blush....
Nordstrom