Suave Dandruff Control Shampoo

Suave Dandruff Control Shampoo --It Works For Me

Sep 6, 2001

Pros:Controls dandruff, leaves hair soft, relatively mild, inexpensive.

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: Works great for me, and is economical. Highly recommend. A+ value product.

Suave Performance Series Dandruff Control Shampoo - Regular Formula 14.5 fl. oz. (429 ml)

Why is a GUY writing an Epinion about shampoo? I suppose some men have written in this category, but the great majority of reviews are probably by women. Well, since I have been at Epinions, I have become much more conscious of product quality and value. I have developed mental lists of products that I use frequently, over a long period of time, their quality and their value. Suave Performance Series Dandruff Control Shampoo rates high on the list as a product I like extremely well, and has withstood the test of time.

Many years ago I started using this shampoo on a regular basis. In fact, I believe it had a much less fancy name in those days. Prior to this, my scalp would often feel dry and itchy. Even worse, I would have flakes of dandruff, dead skin , anointing my shoulders.

REASONS FOR USING

Initially I used Suave because of the price, it is usually the least expensive of the name brand products. It is about $1.00 to $1.50 a bottle, depending on sales, store, etc. But after trying different brands I found that the Suave performed as well or better for me, then anything else.

I do like the dandruff shampoos that TINGLE when you use them, but most of the ones I tried seemed to be a little strong for me, and left my hair dryer.

I have very thick hair leaning toward dry, and the Suave leaves my hair smooth and soft, with daily use. My wife has very thin hair and gets good results also.

Over the years, when I have tried other shampoos, after a few days the itching scalp has usually returned. Because of this I now stick with Suave Dandruff Control Shampoo.

Suaves active ingredient is sulfur. This plus a PH balanced formula is its method of dandruff control. Here are the most commonly used active ingredients used in dandruff shampoos: coal-tar, pyrithione zinc, salicylic acid, selenium sulfide, sulfur, Ketoconazole.

If a shampoo is not effective for you, you can try different brands with a different active ingredient. Also if you find one that is effective for you, but there is something you donít like about it, you can just try other brands with the same active ingredient.

Although I rate this Suave product highly,I have tried some of their other shampoos, and did not particularly like them. I think this particular shampoo is an exception to the old rule of, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

ATTRIBUTES

FRAGRANCE: It smells like shampoo to me, because I have used it for so long. There is, what I would call, a mild fragrance. After rinsing I would say it leaves negligible fragrance in the hair. This is a plus too me, because I do not like strong, lingering fragrances. Also it does not smell like plain soap. This is also satisfactory in my case, because unlike others, plain soap is not one of my favorite odors.

CAP: Snap open or twist off top. I prefer using the snap up lid, which allows for easier measurement.

Color: Pale opaque blue. I would prefer a transparent gel, but thatís being a little picky.

FOR THE TECHNICAL ORIENTATED

INGREDIENTS:

Active Ingredient: Sulfur

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Dipalmitamine, Cocamide MEA, Citric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Ammonium Xylenesulfonate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Ammonium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Methenamine, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Zinc Oxide (Cl 77947), FD&C Blue No. 1 (Cl 42090).

WARRANTY:
We guarantee your full satisfaction or we will replace or refund your purchase. For details, comments or questions, contact our Customer Service. 1-800-782-8301.

DIRECTIONS:

Wet hair, lather, rinse and repeat. No need to follow with a separate conditioner. For best results, use at least twice a week or as directed by a doctor. PERSONAL NOTE: I donít repeat. Once is enough for me with some things.

HAIR TYPES:

Sulfur Suave Performance Series
Dandruff Control
Shampoo Plus Conditioner
(for normal to oily hair)

Suave Performance Series
Dandruff Control Shampoo
(for fine or oily hair)

RECYCLABLE: Bottle made with 25% recycled plastic. Bottle coded for recycling. I guess that is a good thing.

WEB SITE

Overall I think the Suave website is a bit lean, but this does make it easy to navigate. It appears to be comprehensive in listing product line, but I would like to see more in depth information.

HERE ARE A FEW PAGES I FOUND INTERESTING AND/OR INFORMATIVE:

This page is a glossary to KEY INGREDIENTS: commonly used in shampoos.