Sudafed PE Maximum Strength Nasal Decongestant Reviews

Sudafed PE Maximum Strength Nasal Decongestant

Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Are You Kidding Me? Sudafed PE Maximum Strength Nasal Decongestant

Feb 12, 2006 (Updated Apr 24, 2006)

Pros:Makes your blood vessels smaller.

Cons:I guess if your blood vessels are this big, it really doesn't matter.

The Bottom Line: The idiots running crystal meth labs have officially ruined it for the rest of us.

I've waited some five months now to write a review of a product that was so bad, it would take this title. The title's been here in my head for some time. Though it isn't a particularly awe-inspiring title, I just knew that some product would inevitably come into my life that would be so perplexing and impotent, I'd have to dub the review Are You Kidding Me?.

I am currently suffering from a big, bad monster of a flu that has robbed me of what could have been 4 glorious days. Spring is just around the corner. Everyone in my life is doing relatively well. Work is busy, but I had 2 of these days slated to work from home and I love working from home. I get more done from home. I'm an only child and at my best when there are no distractions and I can completely throw myself into my work.

Instead, I've been alternately complaining about my symptoms, sleeping, and hitting F5 on epinions pages. It's ridiculous.

I desperately wanted this product to work. I shelled out $7 at the corner store for it and wanted relief so badly that I'm shocked that there wasn't even a placebo effect. The sad truth is that Sudafed PE Maximum Strength Nasal Decongestant did not alleviate even one single solitary symptom.

The Symptoms
Eyes so watery I look like I'm constantly crying, weird tongue film, body aches and energy depletion so severe I spent a full 20 hours in bed getting up only to eat for the first time in 2 days and check the ratings on my last review, chills that compromised my usual 97% typing accuracy, fever that lasted for 2 days, and an overall "look" of death that caused everyone in my house to look at me and simply shudder at least two or three times.

So it's bad. But now that it's day 4 or 5, the most frustrating part about it is the congestion. My nose is red and raw from blowing it and my head really, really hurts. I didn't expect this medicine to take away any of my symptoms except for the two it says it can alleviate.

These are:
Nasal & Sinus Congestion, and
Sinus Pressure

That's it. That's all I had hoped for.

The Product
First of all, let me just say that some Sudafed products have been repackaged to include a "PE" at the end of the Sudafed brand name. Also, the box design for this product is differentiated from the standard Maximum Strength Nasal Decongestant as having a little picture of a man with his sinuses in neon yellow. I bought 18 doses and each pill is one full dose.

According to the box, "Only the Sudafed PE brand name on your purchase assures that this product was made with the highest quality standards. Pfizer is committed to excellence and stands behind every box of Sudafed PE you buy."

Well, I hope that someone at Pfizer takes the time to peruse epinions.com because this stuff did absolutely nothing for me. It was a waste of $7. The "New Formula" basically does not contain pseudoephedrine, so basically it's like buying sudafed-less Sudafed. Apparently, the idiots running crystal meth labs have ruined it for the rest of us, and in order to keep a Sudafed product available over-the-counter they have to remove the one effective active ingredient.

The only plus to this product is that the pills are small and easy to swallow, but that won't earn this product a star in my book because they still aren't worth swallowing.

What They Say
Illegal laboratory conversion of a sinus and cold medication ingredient into methamphetamine has become a major worldwide concern. Pseudoephedrine, the active ingredient in Sudafed, has become a widely used ingredient in this process.

As a responsible corporate citizen, we at Pfizer have been working in partnership with government, law enforcement and retailers to address the issue of continued consumer access to effective cold and sinus medicines.

That’s why we've reformulated a new Pseudoephedrine-free line of decongestants called Sudafed PE, which will be sold together with the original Sudafed line. Like original Sudafed, Sudafed PE relieves your tough nasal and sinus congestion, and Sudafed PE contains the active ingredient Phenylephrine, which cannot be used to make methamphetamine.

I'm thrilled that the good people at Sudafed are interested in corporate citizenship, but I wish they hadn't forgotten about relieving cold symptoms. The active ingredient in this stuff is called phenylephrine HCI, which works by actually shrinking blood vessels (veins and arteries). According to drugs.com, constriction of blood vessels in the sinuses, nose, and chest allows drainage of these areas, which decreases congestion. Maybe my blood vessels are so incredibly huge right now that a small amount of constriction doesn't do much for sinus pain relief.

In any case, I've tried it twice to no avail and I'm not the type of person to double up doses just to see what happens. I'm just going to do my part and let you know that this product was completely ineffective for me.

Ingredients
Phenylephrine HCI in each Tablet(10 mg), Acesulfame Potassium, Candelilla Wax, Colloidal Silicon Dioxide, Crospovidone, FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, Hypromellose , Magnesium Stearate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Polydextrose, Polyethylene Glycol, Pregelatinized Starch, Stearic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Triacetin

Yada, Yada, Yada
Ask a doctor before use if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes, trouble, urinating due to an enlarged prostate gland. When using this product do not use more than directed. This product protected with sealed blister units (which aren't that hard for kids to open, so keep out of reach of kids). Do not use if any are torn or broken. Do not use if you are now taking a prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor - MAOI - certain drugs for depression, psychiatric or emotional conditions, or Parkinson's disease, or for 2 weeks after stopping the MAOI drug. If you do not know if your prescription drug contains an MAOI, ask a doctor or pharmacist before taking this product.

Overall
You might be interested in knowing that certain cold and flu relief medicines have not worked on me in the past (non-drowsy formulas are usually the most ineffective). Dayquil, for instance, does nothing for me while Nyquil is like ambrosia to my weary senses. It's possible that I have some sort of strange mutation that makes me immune to non-drowsy cold and flu medications. If that's the case, give the product a try.

It just seems like Sudafed had to come up with something quickly so that they'd have a strong "over-the-counter" presence in the municipalities where pseudoephedrine is only available from your local pharmacist (you won't need a prescription, but you will need to "register" and buy no more than a few boxes at a time). I feel like they hurried to come up with a product that doesn't do its job.

I hope this review has helped you to cross one more option off your list the next time you have a bear of a cold or flu. Special thanks to Melissa (a.k.a. bopsmom) for adding this product to the database for me almost immediately.

Now I'm going back to bed.

For More Information
Please visit www.sudafed.com or call 1-800-524-2624.

Vick's DayQuil/NyQuil Twin Pack Review.

Sudafed Pe Caplets Pressure + Pain For Adults Caplets, 24 Count

Sudafed Pe Caplets Pressure + Pain For Adults Caplets, 24 Count

Sudafed PE Caplets Pressure + Pain for Adults Caplets:Temporarily relieves these symptoms associated with hay fever or other respiratory allergies and...

Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain + Mucus Relief Caplets for Adults, 24 count

Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain + Mucus Relief Caplets for Adults, 24 count

Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain + Mucus Relief Caplets for Adults temporarily relieve these symptoms associated with hay fever or other respiratory allergi...

Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain Caplets - 24 Count

Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain Caplets - 24 Count

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Get relief from sinus congestion and pressure, plus headaches. . - non-drowsy formula - available in boxes...

Sudafed Pe Pressure + Pain + Cough Relief Caplets For Adults, 24 Count

Sudafed Pe Pressure + Pain + Cough Relief Caplets For Adults, 24 Count

Sudafed PE Pressure + Pain + Cough Relief Caplets for Adults temporarily relieve these common cold/flu symptoms: sinus congestion and pressure, nasal ...

Good Sense Nasal Decongestant PE Non-Drowsy 36 Tabs

Good Sense Nasal Decongestant PE Non-Drowsy 36 Tabs

Nasal Decongestant PE Non-Drowsy 36 Tabs - Maximum-Strength Non-Drowsy Nasal Decongestant PE tablets from Good Sense provide relief from sinus pressur...
Swanson Health Products

Sudafed Pe Children's Cold and Cough Grape Liquid - 4 oz

Sudafed Pe Children's Cold and Cough Grape Liquid - 4 oz

Find cold, cough and allergy at Target.com! Take on your child's stuffy nose or fever with this non-drowsy sudafed pe cold and cough medicine. Designe...

Sudafed Pe Children's Cold and Cough Grape Liquid - 2 Pack (4 oz each)

Sudafed Pe Children's Cold and Cough Grape Liquid - 2 Pack (4 oz each)