Sun Crystals All Natural Sweetner Reviews

Sun Crystals All Natural Sweetner

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Sun Crystals: Cane Sugar & Stevia 5 Calorie Packets

Sep 11, 2009

Pros:Only 5 calories per packet, natural cane sugar and stevia

Cons:Still has slight bitter aftertaste on certain foods

The Bottom Line: One of the better sugar substitutes in my opinion.  Taste is a little bitter, so not for use on all foods.

Since I've been on a diet, cutting down on my calories is an obvious goal of mine.  There are not many artificial sweeteners that I consider safe, and a few years ago I learned about Stevia, which is a natural sweetener that comes from a flowering plant, but it always tasted bitter sweet to me, so I went back to using sugar.

The next generation of diet sweeteners to come my way was Truvia, which I used for several months.  Truvia combines sugar with stevia, and tastes pretty good for a low cal sweetener.  When I ran out of Truvia last week I added it to my shopping list, but when I went to the store to buy it, there was a new to me choice sitting on the shelf right beside the Truvia.  This product is called Sun Crystals.

There are two different types of Sun Crystals, one is Nature's Family Sun Crystals that contain raw cane sugar & erythritol (like Truvia), but the Sun Crystals I am reviewing don't contain the erythritol.

What Are Sun Crystals?

Sun Crystals come in a green box, and there is a picture of a sun that looks like it has been stenciled in with the sugar like crystals.  The box contains 100 packets, which are the same size as the small packets of the other sugar substitutes like Splenda and Equal.  Just like the color of the box, the paper packets of Sun Crystals are also colored bright green.

Each packet of Sun Crystals contains only 5 calories per packet, and the packets read "all natural sweetener", and "a blend of naturally sweet stevia & pure cane sugar".  Stevia is a flowering plant that grows in South America, and has been used for years as a sweetener.  It met with resistance in the USA, and has been banned since the 1990's, although it's approved as a supplement, and for products such as Truvia and Sun Crystals are being approved.

Sun Crystals are distributed by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC.

Product Claims

Sun Crystals claim to have the taste and texture of sugar, and this sweetener combines pure cane sugar and stevia, to create a delicious all-natural, low calorie sweetener.

One packet of Sun Crystals All Natural Sweetener is equal to the sweetness of two teaspoons of cane sugar.

Price

A box of Truvia sweetener contained 50 packets, and retailed for $699.  My box of Sun Crystals was a little more, $8.50, but it contains twice as many packets!!

My Thoughts

I feel that Sun Crystals are one of the safest choices for a low calorie sweetener that can be found on store shelves today.  Saccharin has long been tied to cancer in rats (gosh, that info came out in the 1970's!), Aspartame has been tied to seizures, and Splenda is actually a chlorinated artificial sweetener, yummy (insert sarcasm).

Of all the choices on the market, Sun Crystals seem to be the most natural and safest.  Both cane sugar and stevia come from plants, and are natural sweeteners.  The only ingredients in Sun Crystals are pure cane sugar and stevia, that's all.

Granted, Sun Crystals are not a calorie free supplement, they do contain 5 calories per packet, but since one packet is so sweet, one half of a packet is enough for me to sweeten a cup of coffee (and still equals one teaspoon of sugar).  That means I am only getting 2 1/2 calories in each cup of coffee, and I can live with that.  A teaspoon of sugar has 15 calories, so this is a drastic reduction.  One packet of Sun Crystals does have 1 gram of carbs, and 1 gram of sugars.  There are no fats, sodium, or proteins in it.

Taste wise, this is something you will have to judge for yourself.  If you are a person who has used stevia and likes it, you will probably love Sun Crystals.  They still have a slight bitter after taste from the stevia, but the cane sugar takes the edge off of it.  I do not like to add Sun Crystals on grapefruit or cereal, but I really enjoy it in my coffee.  Some teas are okay with Sun Crystals, usually teas like Raspberry or those with stronger flavors.  I don't like to use Sun Crystals with chamomile tea, it adds a flavor I don't care for.

When my husband orders iced tea in a restaurant, he always sweetens it with the pink packets of Sweet N Low, because he says the fine powder dissolves in the drink, while sugar doesn't.  I have found that Sun Crystals dissolve in both hot and cold beverages equally well.

Adding Sun Crystals to my coffee is now a regular part of my diet, and I always pack a few extra in my purse so I can have them on hand when we eat out (I have yet to see any restaurant offer either Sun Crystals, Truvia or Stevia to their customers).

To conclude, Sun Crystals may not be for everyone.  It does not taste as sweet as other no calorie sugar substitutes, but I feel it is a healthier choice for me personally.  If you would like to try it out before spending the money on a box of 100 packets, the manufacturer is offering a free sample at their website, (https://www.suncrystals.com/#intro).

I want to thank the combined effort of bops_mom, dlstewart and especially Bruguru for getting Sun Crystals added to the database for me!  It is very much appreciated!

100% Pure Natural Stevia Powder Extract Sugar Sweetner

100% Pure Natural Stevia Extract Powder No other ingredients added!2.3oz weight (65g) in a 8oz Container This is equal to 100lbs of Sugar Expires Marc...

100% Pure Natural Stevia Powder Extract Sugar Sweetner

100% Pure Natural Stevia Extract Powder No other ingredients added! 2.3oz weight (65g) in a 8oz Container This is equal to 100lbs of Sugar Suggested u...

Stevia Sweetner 100% Organic Pure Extract 622 Servings

Stevia Sweetner 100% Organic Pure Extract 622 Servings

Stevia 100% Pure Organic Sweetner Extract 622 servings from Trader Joe's. Each Jar is one ounce of pure Stevia Extract. From the label Questions? Plea...

3x Super Yacon Syrup 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottles Pure Natural Sweetner Weight Fat Loss

Super Yacon Syrup 1000 (8 fl oz) Manufacturers Product Description: Dr. Oz* recently featured the Yacon Root on his show, and his conclusion on Yacon ...

Pure Certified Organic Natural Yacon Syrup Sweetner Weight Loss Fat Burner 16 Oz

Why buy from us? Since it's debut on a popular daytime television show, the market has been flooded with low quality Yacon Supplements. These low qual...

2 Pure Yacon Syrup Natural Sweetner Weight Loss Fat Burner 1000mg Organic 8 Oz

2 Pure Yacon Syrup Natural Sweetner Weight Loss Fat Burner 1000mg Organic 8 Oz

Product Features What is Yacon Syrup? Yacon Syrup is a sweetening agent from the roots of the yacón plant (Smallanthus sonchifolius) indigenous to the...

Pure Yacon Syrup Natural Alterantive Sweetner 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottle Weight Loss

Pure Yacon Syrup Natural Alterantive Sweetner 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottle Weight Loss

This add is for 1 Bottle 8fl. oz. 100% Pure Super Yacon Syrup 1000 All Natural New, Factory Sealed Bottle. Made in USA. EXP. 3/2015 Recently on Tv the...

3x Pure Yacon Syrup 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottles Natural Sweetner Weight Fat Loss Best

3x Pure Yacon Syrup 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottles Natural Sweetner Weight Fat Loss Best

This add is for 3 Bottles 8fl. oz. 100% Pure Super Yacon Syrup 1000 All Natural New, Factory Sealed Bottle. Made in USA. EXP. 03/2015 Recently on the ...

2x Pure Yacon Syrup 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottles Natural Sweetner Weight Fat Loss Best

2x Pure Yacon Syrup 1000mg 8fl Oz Bottles Natural Sweetner Weight Fat Loss Best

This add is for 2 Bottles 8fl. oz. 100% Pure Super Yacon Syrup 1000 All Natural New, Factory Sealed Bottle. Made in USA. EXP. 04/2015 Recently on the ...