Swanson Health Products Swanson Premium Brand Astragalus Root

FLU? THE JOKE WAS ON ME!: Swanson Premium Brand Astragalus Root

Feb 28, 2008

Pros:consistent results, high quality, easy to swallow, inexpensive

Cons:have to wait for package to arrive to use them

The Bottom Line: Most effective flu remedy we have ever used and the price is RIGHT! We won't be without it!

Many years ago a friend of mine who owned a natural foods store told me about an herb that she was thrilled with called astragalus.

I had studied herbs for quite a few years and had never heard of it.

She told me that this herb was remarkable. Every time she felt the flu coming on, she would take some astragalus and she would be fine. In fact, she claimed she was never sick in the last year she was taking it.

Well, that was way back before the internet, and after several years of searching everywhere, I was unable to locate any information on this herb.

I have learned over the years that many people ignore or leave out important information about herbs before taking them or recommending them to someone else.

I wanted to see any effects on the human body through overdose or possible perspectives that she might have overlooked or left out.

After several years I stopped searching and filed astragalus in the file cabinet of my mind for future reference.

WHAT IS ASTRAGALUS ?

ASTRAGALUS is from Chinese medicine and its Chinese name is Huang Qi. The part used is the root. It is a very woody root with dark outside and a bamboo colored inside very fibrous.

There are a lot of sources for information that you can find out about astragalus on the web.

Here is some information I gathered from Essortment.com

Astragalus has been used in China for hundreds of years. Known there, since about A.D. 100, as “huang qi,” meaning “yellow leader,” it is taken from the root of the plant. There are more than 2,000 varieties of astragalus in the world. One type is native to Northern China, and it has been widely tested.

The plant is allowed to mature for four to seven years and the root is harvested in early spring. Astragalus contains many ingredients, including amino acids, polysaccharides, triterpene glycosides, flavonoids, isoflavones, saponins and trace minerals.

*****

Traditional Chinese medicine has used astragalus for such problems as weakness, edema, respiratory infections, diabetes, night sweats, diarrhea, heart disease and high blood pressure. Medical journals suggest the herb may stimulate the immune system and the body’s ability to resist and combat various diseases. Astragalus may also inhibit the spread and growth of cancer cells.

In the United States, astragalus has been the subject of much study in recent years. Studies at the University of Houston have shown astragalus may help improve immunity function in cancer patients, by increasing T-cell counts. Other testing, including research by the National Cancer Institute, continues to explore further possible medical benefits of astragalus, including the treatment of AIDS.

Possible benefits of astragalus:

1. May improve the immune system of cancer patients and others.

2. May help with disease resistance.

3. May help normalize blood pressure.

4. May help the body fight against bacterial and viral infections.

5. May help hasten recovery from the common cold.

6. May help improve symptoms in Alzheimer’s patients.

7. May help improve appetite and digestion.

8. May help to generally strengthen the body.

9. May help in the treatment of respiratory infections.

10. May have a diuretic effect.

11. May increase energy.

12. May help regulate blood sugar levels.

13. May prolong life.

14. May be helpful to patients undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment.

Astragalus has no known harmful side-effects.

*****

Astragalus is an exciting and potentially promising herb. Further research may prove astragalus to be invaluable in the medical treatment of a variety of conditions and illnesses.

It is always recommended that one consult a physician before self-treating a medical condition.

*****

Astragalus is one of Nature’s special gifts!

Essortment.com is a conglomeration of information that you might be interested to know.

HOW I TRIED SWANSON PREMIUM BRAND ASTRAGALUS ROOT

A few years ago I was placing an order to www.swansonvitamins.com . I have been ordering supplements from them for years. Their quality has been excellent and their customer service department is stellar.

I happened to see a BUY 1 GET 1 FREE offer on bottles of ASTRAGALUS.

I stopped and opened the file cabinet in my mind and decided that perhaps I could try to find out about this stuff.

After doing research, I was prepared to try SWANSON PREMIUM BRAND ASTRAGALUS ROOT. The price was amazing- each bottle ended up being under $2 for 100 capsules of 470 mg.

WHAT IS THIS ASTRAGALUS ROOT LIKE

Here is what SWANSONVITAMINS says about this product:
* Terrific all-natural boost for your immune system

* Used in traditional Chinese medicine for more than 2,000 years

* An energizing tonic to support strong defenses and promote health and vitality

Bolster your immune system and revitalize your entire body with astragalus root! Valued for over 2,000 years by traditional Chinese herbalists as an energizing tonic or "chi" herb, astragalus is now used primarily as an immune system booster and for promoting cardiovascular and liver health. Our convenient capsules contain 470 mg of pure astragalus root.

INGREDIENTS: Gelatin capsules. May contain one o the following: microcrystalline celluose, magnesium stearate, silica.

100 capsules

Current sale price $1.79 bottle (retail not currently listed)

RECOMMENDED DOSE: 2 caps three times a day with water

MY COMMENTS

Two years ago our area was hit with a severe flu that left many in bed for at least a week, and many for a month. First my husband got it.

Then my son got it.

Then my daughter got it.

I was feeling horrible one morning. I woke up with a swollen throat, headache of migraine quality, and everything hurt so badly it felt like someone was jamming needles in all my joints and muscles. I was in agony.

I was trying to find the vitamin C when I came across the bottle of Astragalus and remembered what my friend told me many years ago about the flu.

I shrugged and figured I could not feel much worse, so I took two pills.

In a few hours, I got up and was feeling much better, so I decided to take two more capsules.

By evening, I forgot that I even had any symptoms that morning.

The next day, the same thing. I took astragalus and by the end of the day, I felt fine. I only had to repeat the same thing one more day and I was fine.

When the flu came around again in a month, I went through the same thing. I was the only one that did not get hit.

After that, my entire family began to beg me for astragalus every time they have felt ill.

Since that day none of us has ever come down with the flu unless we forget about the astragalus and wait until it is full blown. Then it will quicken the course of it, but will not totally eliminate it as fast.

FINAL COMMENTS

I have recommended this to others who have used it with remarkable results as well. We do not take astragalus unless we are going to be in a compromised time of stress or around sickness. That way it is more effective than if we took it constantly.

MORE INFORMATION

You can find out more information about this product at .

www.swansonvitamins.com

At the time of this review, it is on sale for $1.79. Even with shipping it is the cheapest flu remedy that you will ever use! If it works, it is SO worth it.

Swanson Premium Magnolia Bark 400 mg 60 Caps

Swanson Premium Magnolia Bark 400 mg 60 Caps

Magnolia Bark 400 mg 60 Caps - The bark of the magnolia tree has a long history of use in traditional Chinese practices as the foundation for a variet...

Swanson Premium Berberine 400 mg 60 Caps

Swanson Premium Berberine 400 mg 60 Caps

Berberine 400 mg 60 Caps - Berberine is a natural alkaloid found in a wide variety of traditional herbs including goldenseal, barberry and Oregon grap...

Swanson Premium Raw Multi-Glandular For Men 60 Caps

Swanson Premium Raw Multi-Glandular For Men 60 Caps

Raw Multi-Glandular For Men 60 Caps - For a new high quality glandular supplement, developed by Swanson Health Products as part of a new line of gland...

Swanson Premium MSR-3 65 Caps

Swanson Premium MSR-3 65 Caps

MSR-3 65 Caps - Swanson MSR-3 takes immune-boosting nutrition to a new level. This advanced arabinoxylane complex harnesses the power of three leading...

Swanson Premium Raw Multi-Glandular For Women 60 Caps

Swanson Premium Raw Multi-Glandular For Women 60 Caps

Raw Multi-Glandular For Women 60 Caps - Back in the 1930s, four key factors led to glandulars becoming the foundation of natural health: the material ...

Swanson Premium Green Tea 500 mg 30 Caps

Swanson Premium Green Tea 500 mg 30 Caps

Green Tea 500 mg 30 Caps - Swanson Green Tea is a potent antioxidant that is used to help ward of free radicals and support overall health. Also good ...

Swanson Premium Green Tea 500 mg 100 Caps

Swanson Premium Green Tea 500 mg 100 Caps

Green Tea 500 mg 100 Caps - Swanson Green Tea is a potent antioxidant that is used to help ward of free radicals and support overall health. Also good...

Swanson Premium Cranberry 180 Sgels

Swanson Premium Cranberry 180 Sgels

Cranberry 180 Sgels - Promote urinary tract health effectively with Swanson Cranberry! This well-known tonic is recommended as a natural way to mainta...

Swanson Premium Full Spectrum Ginger & Turmeric 60 Caps

Swanson Premium Full Spectrum Ginger & Turmeric 60 Caps

Full Spectrum Ginger & Turmeric 60 Caps - Swanson Full Spectrum Ginger & Turmeric is a potent synergistic combo for herbal health. Both are commonly u...

Swanson Premium Raw Stomach Glandular 250 mg 60 Caps

Swanson Premium Raw Stomach Glandular 250 mg 60 Caps

Raw Stomach Glandular 250 mg 60 Caps - Swanson Premium new Raw Stomach Glandular supplement is a high quality glandular supplement developed with Swan...