-65%
Swingline 87845 Optima ® 40 Desk Stapler (842356036100) Reviews

Swingline 87845 Optima ® 40 Desk Stapler (842356036100)

Epinions Product Rating: OK

+$12.25 shipping OfficeSuperSavers
+$7.75 shipping OfficeSuperSavers

Optima® 40 Desk Stapler

Nov 6, 2009

Pros:it staples

Cons:the flat clinch technology means exposed ends of staples are not flat

The Bottom Line: The Swingline Optima 40  is living up to its designed purpose for providing hard-wearing metal and plastic construction.

Acco Corporation's Swingline Optima® 40 Desk Stapler is another in the innovative Optima line.  As is the 40s big brother the 70; Swingline Optima 40 Desk Stapler is an attractive device offered in Silver, Orange and Black.

Unlike the 70 which suffered a breakdown after a few pushes of the top lever during the one and only stapling experience we shared, the Swingline Optima 40  is living up to its designed purpose for providing hard-wearing metal and plastic construction.

Swingline Optima 40 features a 2.5 inch throat depth, soft grip surfaces, as does the 70, and promises I will need expend less effort during stapling than when using standard staplers.  It performs as promised.  An added plus is not nearly so heavy to lift and carry as is the 70.  The arthritis in my hands means less strength for lifting and carrying; many of the tools etc I purchase today are bought with that fact in mind.

I find the metal and plastic construction to be long-lasting, with throat depth more than ample for my purpose.  During use the soft grip surfaces are comfortable for my small, arthritic hands.

Providing the same jam-free guarantee as does the Optima 70; the 40 is used with Optima Premium staples and is jam free to date.

I like the QuickLoadTM magazine release which simplifies staple loading.  A button akin to the one found on the 70 is located to the rear of the upper housing.  A simple push of the button sends the front loading track forward to accommodate placement of the staples.  Returning the track to the housing requires no more than a small push and back it goes ready to continue stapling.

I was torn between purchase of the 70 and 40, opted to get both; I make a series of small language arts booklets for classroom usage each year, having capability for stapling a larger number of pages at one time seemed and has proven an absolute boon.

The robust, ergonomic outline for this particular stapler caught my eye; it too features a sturdy broad base, easy to use slide in paper platform and simple downward thrust action during usage.   The Swingline Optima 40 Desk Stapler is proving to be a very well planned, and well constructed device. The Optima 40 necessitates a small amount of exertion on my part for operation.  I do not use the device for daily stapling, but do use at several times a week to put together more pages to add to our ongoing -Word- book, to put together the daily work packets and the like.

Swingline Optima ® 40 Desk Stapler easily staples documents from 2 to 25 sheets using standard-size staples, I know the advertising states that the stapler will handle 40 pages, and it does, however, flat clinchTM technology is not as good as the old time Swingline curve to the back of the document presentation as was used by Swingline for many years. The flat clinch technology just really needs reworking; flat clinch does not clinch nor is it flat as is needed to prevent danger when running a hand across the back of the documents.  Adults and Little People alike do often run a finger across the back of the staple, to reduce problem I place a strip of clear tape over the exposed, not flat, staples on the back of the documents.

Other than the not flat clinch staple situation I am very satisfied with the Swingline Optima 40 Desk Stapler.  This Swingline Stapler merges inventive full staple strip quickloadTM magazine, jam-free, albeit flat clinch, with multi sheet capacity.

I was encouraged by the promises offered regarding the stapler. I have arthritis in my hands, using the old time standard type staplers is becoming more difficult.  Older staplers are more narrow across the top surface, and require more push than is needed with the Optima 40.  I prefer to continue using a manual as opposed to electric powered device in the classroom.

For the reason that the Optima 40 Desk Stapler is devised so that it will not jam when Swingline or Optima Premium Staples are used for filling the device; I bought a small metal container of Optima staples.  I have found Optima staples offered in two lengths, both are packaged in a nifty metal container; one is square and the other is rectangle.  I like the staples and the containers too.  The longer staples are usable in my old, standard classroom familiar Swingline stapler which is now -the kids' stapler- for Little Learners to use for stapling their papers.

I like that I can load a full 210 staple strip promptly and easily, the arthritis in my hands does not prove problematic; I find the release button located at the rear of the stapler housing is not difficult for me to operate.

The Optima Desk Staplers are advertised as needing less effort during usage; and I do find the stapler to be easy to use.  I slide papers into the 2.5 inch throat, use both hands to push down on the top housing, and staples are quickly driven through the pages.

My particular problems with this specific device are two; one is superficial and comes because of the packaging.  I'm not sure just why these staplers are packaged in such a way that they cannot be easily opened and the stapler removed.  The same style, xtraordinarily durable packaging, is used.  I found no way to pry apart the top and bottom plastic holding the stapler in the packaging. Even after resorting to trying to cut the packaging with scissors met with problems with the stapler remaining securely enclosed in a very strong, tightly fitting plastic.  Husband freed the stapler.

My other problem is the not - flat clinch technology; and that is solved with a piece of tape over the exposed staple ends.

While I could not recommend Optima 40's big brother, the Acco Corporation's Swingline Optima 70® Desktop StaplerAcco Corporation's Swingline Optima 40® Desktop Stapler is proving to be an absolute work horse in the classroom.

Happy to recommend Acco Corporation's Swingline Optima 40® Desktop Stapler.

===========================
Reviewed by Molly's Reviews
molly   martin
===========================

For more product details, facts, and shipping information please check the Instawares, Staples, eBay, Buy.com,   ShopLet, Discount Office, MyBinding, Discount Office.com,  AMAZON SEE IT button    and vendor links

-----------------------------------------------------

From Internet search including the ACCO site
: ACCO Brands Corporation Products include Swingline, Kensington, Quartet, Wilson Jones, GBC, DayTimer, Swingline is a division of ACCO Brands that specializes in manufacturing staplers and hole punches. The company was formerly located in Long Island City, Queens, New York, United States, but is now headquartered with its parent company ACCO in Lincolnshire, Illinois.

Swingline was founded as the Parrot Speed Fastener Company in 1925 in New York City by Jack Linsky, and opened its first manufacturing facility in Long Island City in 1931. In 1939, the company changed its name to Speed Products, and in 1956, became Swingline. It became a division of ACCO Brands which was then a division of Fortune Brands in 1987. The factory name, Swingline, was a large iconic sign on top of the Queens building.

In the late 1990s, Swingline shut down production in Long Island City, New York, and moved the production of premium staplers and staples to Mexico and began production of economy plastic staplers in China. As of 2009, the all-metal 747 Classic stapler was produced in China.

ACCO Brands Corporation's roots stretch back more than a century. Over the years, ACCO brands have consistently been guided by a spirit of innovation and a commitment to delivering superior, cutting-edge products for our customers. This has enabled ACCO to flourish and grow in a continually evolving office products environment.

ACCO Brands Corporation became an independent publicly traded company on August 17, 2005. The Company was formed through the spin-off of the ACCO World office products unit of Fortune Brands and its subsequent merger with General Binding Corporation.
This transaction brought together the complementary businesses, brands and strengths of ACCO and GBC to form the world's largest supplier of branded office products - a global office products powerhouse. As a highly focused office products company, ACCO is now uniquely positioned to capitalize on the opportunities for growth in our industry.

ACCO Brands Corporation is one of the world's largest suppliers of office products, with annual
revenues of nearly $2 billion. ACCO Brands markets products in over 100 countries through its own sales force and distribution networks. We're proud of our long history of industry leadership and innovation, and we're focused on delivering exceptional value for our shareholders and customers by providing unique, leading-edge, branded office products.

Corporate Headquarters
300 Tower Parkway
Lincolnshire, IL 60069

Boise MP2204GN Fireworx Colored Paper, 20-lbs., 8-1/2 x 14, Legal Size, Popper-mint Green, 500 Sheets Per Ream Fireworx multipurpose colored paper. Pa...
OfficeSuperSavers
Swingline 87845 Optima Desk Stapler, 40 Sheet Capacity, Silver Optima stapler combines Jam Free flat clinch technology and seventy sheet capacity in a...
OfficeSuperSavers
FIREWORX COLORED PAPER, 20LB, 8-1/2 X 14, POPPER-MINT GREEN, 500 SHEETS/REAM
Swingline 87845 Optima 40 Desktop Stapler, Jam-Free/Flat Clinch , 40 Sheet Cap. SWI87845 Optima 40 Desk Stapler combines jam-free flat-clinch technolo...

Paper with purpose.Rich color shades get any type of communication or project noticed.Compatible with all office equipment.Sales support Boise Project...