TASC 12.5 ft. Aluminum Telescopic Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity Type 1A Duty Rating Reviews

ratings (1 Epinions review)

A Great Ladder!

Aug 23, 2013

Pros:Perfect for indoor use

Cons:Must be kept clean

The Bottom Line: The perfect ladder for loft living where storage space is paramount.  Sturdy and easy to use. Patented quick rung release pulls enables ladder to lower in a single movement.

I live in a small loft condo with high ceilings.  Storage areas are 8 feet above the floor and too high to access with a step stool or short ladder.  A traditional 8 foot ladder is really too short and a 10 foot ladder is too big for my closet space, but I was resolved on buying one at Home Depot.  Fortunately for me they had the perfect ladder for my needs, a 12 1/2 foot Aluminum Telescopic Ladder made by TASC.

The ladder is beautifully designed and well made.  It weighs only 30 lbs and just under 2 feet wide, 3 feet high and 4 inches deep when fully compacted. So it stores easily in a closet or your car trunk. I find the more I use it, the more I like it.

The telescopic mechanism adjusts the ladder to various heights up to 12 1/2 feet allowing you a working height of up to 15 1/2 feet, and the sturdy design allows for safe effortless single person operation.  It is a one piece unit and is designed with a patented quick release mechanism which allows the ladder to lower with one pull.

The ladder has a Type 1A, 300 lb. duty rating and meets all OSHA, ANSI and CSA requirements.  It has 2 1/2 inch deep rung risers spaced 12 inches apart for surer footing.  Be sure that you have it facing in the right direction, and always have shoes on when you're using it.

When the ladder is set up properly the rubberized cushion rests at the top and bottom give you a non-slip stable platform.  I'm just as jittery as anyone when it comes to climbing ladders, and this one is a bit tricky to use without some practice. So I read the directions for use carefully and even boned up on viewing safe ladder techniques on Youtube.

When using any ladder you should keep your feet in the middle of the rungs as you climb up and down, and maintain the habit of having at least three limbs holding the sides of the ladder at all times, (i.e. one hand and two legs, two hands and one leg) especially as you climb off and get back on the ladder at its working height.

It's important that you open the ladder at a correct angle so the specially made rung lip rests on whatever over hang you have at the top, (e.g. gutter, side rail, molding etc.) so nothing ever rests directly on the aluminum side rails, as that may dent the rails preventing the ladder from closing smoothly.  This also adds lateral stability to the ladder.

I would recommend that you get someone to work with you at first to practice climbing up and down the ladder until you are confident and comfortable, and certainly practice opening and closing the ladder by yourself a few times as well.

The ladder has a 300 lb capacity so for most of us it's ideal, but if you're a big fella this may not be the ladder for you.  I've read some reviews that say the plastic stops gave way after multiple use.  The ladder is very well made, but I'm thinking it's not the kind of instrument that you can abuse like we do to most ladders.

The ladder is weather resistent, but if you're going to use it outside much you should make sure it's kept clean and away from dirt as any debris might disrupt the locking mechanism.  Even though it feels sturdy under foot, I would resist the tendency to come up or down it fast.

In summary, this is the perfect ladder for indoor use or for that professional who needs a ladder that can fit in the car.  It's easy and safe to use. Currently selling for around $165 at Home Depot.  Comes in a 15 1/2 foot model also.

8.6ft Portable Aluminum Telescopic Collapsible Extendable Ladder 330-pound Duty

8.6ft Portable Aluminum Telescopic Collapsible Extendable Ladder 330-pound Duty

8' 6 Telescopic Aluminum Extension Ladder Includes: 1 x 8' 6 Telescopic Ladder Features : Convenient and Portable! Collapsed Size: 31.75 x 18.5 Exten...

Heavy Duty 8.5 ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder 330 lbs Capacity - Ladders

Heavy Duty 8.5 ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder 330 lbs Capacity - With the excellent automatic rung locking mechanism, this 8.5' Ex...
10.7ft Portable Aluminum Telescopic Collapsible Extendable Ladder 330-pound Duty

10' 7 Telescopic Aluminum Extension Ladder Includes: 1 x 10' 7 Telescopic Ladder Features : Convenient and Portable! Collapsed Size: 31.75 x 18.5 Ext...

TELESTEPS 1400E Telescopic Ladder,101/2 ft.,1

TELESTEPS 1400E Telescopic Ladder,101/2 ft.,1

Telescopic Ladder, Ladder Height 25/16 ft., Extended Ladder Height 101/2 ft., ANSI Type 1, Material Aluminum, Load Capacity 250 lb.
Zoro

Professional Heavy Duty 8.5 ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder Type 330 lbs - Ladders

Professional Heavy Duty 8.5 ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder Type 330 lbs - With the excellent automatic rung locking mechanism, the...
12.5ft Portable Aluminum Telescopic Collapsible Extendable Ladder 330-pound Duty

12.5Ft Portable Aluminum Telescopic Collapsible Extendable Ladder 330-Pound Duty         Includes   Features:   1x 12' 5 Telescopic Ladder...

Telesteps 1600et Tactical Telescopic Ladder,12-1/2 Ft.,1a

Telesteps 1600et Tactical Telescopic Ladder,12-1/2 Ft.,1a

About Zoro Shipping Returns Terms Payment FAQs Contact Store Categories All categories Click here to view full size. Full Size Image Click to close fu...

Louisville Ladder Ladder. Elite 7 ft. 9 in. - 10 ft., 25.5 in. x 54 in. Aluminum Attic Ladder with 350 lb. Maximum Load Capacity AA259GS

Shop for Building Materials at The Home Depot. The Louisville Ladder Elite 10 ft. x 54 in. x 25-1/2 in. Aluminum Attic Ladder is insulated to help sav...
Home Depot

Professional Heavy Duty 10.5 Ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder

Professional Heavy Duty 10.5 Ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder

Professional Heavy Duty 10.5 ft Aluminum Extension Telescopic Contractor Ladder Features Condition: Brand new Fully extendable telescopic ladder Lengt...

NEW Extendable 8.5 FT Portable Aluminum Telescopic Ladder Telescoping Ladders - Ladders

NEW Extendable 8.5 FT Portable Aluminum Telescopic Ladder Telescoping Ladders - This is a brand new 8.5 FT telescopic ladder. Lightweight to carry, co...