Five Star TTN537-7BW Dual Fuel (Electric and Gas) Range

FIVE STAR RANGES ARE JUNK!

Jul 29, 2011 (Updated Jul 29, 2011)
Not yet rated
  • User Rating: Disappointing

Pros:none

Cons:Electrical system is unreliable.
Five Star will not stand behind their products.

The Bottom Line: Do not buy a Five Star Range

FIVE STAR RANGE REVIEW - July 2011
In late May of 2006, we bought a 60" dual fuel Five Star Range and had it installed in our newly built home, (purchased from and installed by GM Appliance in Panama City, FL)

Here are the issues we have experienced, and these are the notes that were sent to Five Star's John Robinson.

1. Upon installation in May dead rats were discovered in the electrical housing area behind the knobs. One of these rats was actually in two pieces as if he had been cut in two. I was very concerned about this and expressed that concern to GM Appliance. They told me they do not store units and the rats must have come from your warehouse ( or as I now understand the process, from your distributor). They assured me if there were any issues with the stove your company would take care of it as your products were excellent.

2. A couple of months after installation (approximately August of 2006) we smelled gas in our home and immediately called the gas company that installed our gas lines and connected the stove. They traced the leak to a solder joint inside your stove. NOT the connection between the gas line and your stove, but a permanent solder joint within the device that should never leak and should never need to be repaired. Due to Florida law, since they found the leak they had to repair it immediately. I was charged a $250 emergency repair fee.

3. A few months after that the switch? or module? that controls the ignition of the gas oven, griddle, and two left burners quit working. I called GM Appliance and they let me know they are not licensed to work on gas appliances so they referred me to the Appliance Doctor. Parts were ordered and the system was repaired. I am in the process of trying to get exact dates on this repair, the system as still under warranty so I did not have to pay for this repair and unfortunately do not have a record. I believe it was the Spring of 2007

4. In The Spring of 2008 the safety on the gas ignition knob gave out on the knob for the front middle burner. You could literally spin it like a top without having to push in on it and would ignite. Very dangerous since accidentally bumping into it would turn it on. At about the same time the ignition switch? or module? gave out on the gas oven/griddle/two burners again. I contacted Five Star, concerned over the repeated issues. I hope you have record of this as parts were provided to the Appliance Doctor for this repair, free of charge. I was charged $200 for labor and service fee

5. In December of 2010 the switch for the convection fan gave out. When I called about a repair I was told the system was no longer under warranty and the minimum charge for parts and service would be $200. Tired of spending money, I did without my convection oven.

6. In late April of 2011 I ran the automatic cleaning system, which I have done many times. The following morning when I went to unlock the oven I could not get the lock to release to open my oven door. the clean/unlock system would not engage. Also, the switches? module? had went out for the 3rd time!!! I contacted Five Star Range AGAIN! Honestly by this time I am telling all my friends that Five Star Ranges are not good pieces of equipment as they have continuous issues with their electronics. I contacted Five Star to find out how to get my oven open and was referred to Mr. Appliance for repairs. Five Star supplied the parts again free of charge. The technician at the time said that all the issues were related to the electrical system and he got both the door lock, ignition system and the convection oven working again. He showed me that the convection fan itself was working fine, it just was not getting power. As soon as he replaced the electrical module? the system worked. I was charged $225 for labor and travel.

This was on May 3rd. The system worked well for less than 2 months!

7. Last night I went to turn on my gas oven so I could use it and it would not light. I immediately checked and sure enough, neither the ignition on the griddle or the two right burners are working, AGAIN!!!!!
So here we are, and I have over 75 people due to be at my home for a July 4th celebration and I cannot use my gas oven or griddle or two right burners. The soonest Mr. Appliance can get to my home is next Wednesday, July 6th! So I am without half of my range for one of the biggest celebrations I have annually at my home each year. Since I am cooking dinner for over 75 people, I really needed the use of my WHOLE range!

I am also looking at yet another service fee of at least $225.

In recap here are the issues on my range in less than 5 years

1. Rats in the electrical housing, requiring the system to be completely cleaned out and serviced prior to ever being used by me.
2. Gas Leak in the Main gas sauder joint inside range requiring an emergency visit by the Gas Company and emergency repair.
3. the Switch or Module that ignites the Gas oven, griddle, and 2 right burners has gone out 4 TIMES, each time requiring parts to be ordered and replacement
4. The safety Knob has failed on the Front Middle Burner, requiring parts to be ordered and replacement
5. The switch for the convection oven FAILED, requiring parts to be ordered and replacement
6. The release/engage lock switch for the cleaning system FAILED requiring parts to be ordered and replacement.
Here is the Information on my Dual Fuel Range

Serial # 8K53184

Model # TPN-535-BGW

Type # 3J5-10

Five Star has offered to refurbish the range at MY EXPENSE, approximately $1000 per Jeff Essenburg who is a manager with the company, if I ship it to their facility. I am awaiting a call from their company president, K. Harrison Brown. The receptionist refused to give me his email address so that I could send him background information, nor would she tell me if he returned phone calls from customers. They only have record of one of the repairs (from this past April) and another open ticket from 2006. They have supplied parts on all other occasions to repair the range. John Robinson in one conversation stated that they had no record of any repairs done to our range. Now, they tell me that they have no record of the sale of the range from GM Appliance. HOW IN THE WORLD DID A FIVE STAR RANGE END UP IN MY KITCHEN????

Their website says:
"The Brown legacy is one of integrity - delivering quality products that our customers know are going to work, day in and day out. If our customers aren't satisfied then we haven't done our job. That's why we work hard to deliver the reliable products that people have come to expect from us over the years. It's what we've always done at Brown Stove, and it's what we'll always do."

That is patently false. My range is unreliable. They have not done their job. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Please call me at 850-628-0332 if you have any questions. I would still welcome a call from Mr. Brown with a solution to this problem.

Dacor ER48DSCHNGH 48 New Epicure Dual Fuel Range ER48DSCH

Dacor ER48DSCHNGH 48 New Epicure Dual Fuel Range ER48DSCH

Dacor's Epicure Dual Fuel Range redefines smart, modern culinary chic with features like signature Illumina Burner Controls, a Tiltvue Control Panel t...
HomeClick

EW30DS75KS Electrolux Wave-Touch Slide-in Dual-Fuel Convection Range with Min-2-ax Gas Burner - Stainless Steel Explore the features of the EW30DS75KS...
US Appliance

Dacor ER30DSRSCHLP 30 Dual Fuel Slide in Epicure Range ER30DSRSCH

Dacor ER30DSRSCHLP 30 Dual Fuel Slide in Epicure Range ER30DSRSCH

Precision, convenience and high level performance are in every detail of this 30 range. Intelligent, ergonomic features include signature Illumina Bur...

Dacor ER30DSRSCHLPH 30 Dual Fuel Slide in Epicure Range ER30DSRSCH

Dacor ER30DSRSCHLPH 30 Dual Fuel Slide in Epicure Range ER30DSRSCH

Verona Dual Fuel Pro Style Range VEFSGEL65

Verona Dual Fuel Pro Style Range VEFSGEL65

Verona VEFSGEL65 The full depth Pro convection dual fuel range will be the last range you will ever need to own. Five high power dual simmer power bu...
Wayfair

Dacor 36 Dual-Fuel Stainless Steel Range - ER36D

Dacor 36 Dual-Fuel Stainless Steel Range - ER36D

4.6 Cu. Ft. Capacity/ Pure Convection/ Easy-Clean Cooktop With Spill Basin/ Illumina Burner Controls/ TiltVue Control Panel/ Dual Timer, Digital Clock...
Abt Electronics

Bosch 30 Stainless Steel Convection Dual Fuel SlideIn Range

Bosch 30 Stainless Steel Convection Dual Fuel SlideIn Range

This fulldepth Dual Fuel Slidein Range fits into any freestanding range cutout and features five burners to cook more dishes at once.
hhgregg

Dacor Dr30d/ng Dr30d, 30 Dual-fuel Range

Dacor Dr30d/ng Dr30d, 30 Dual-fuel Range

This is a BRAND NEW Dacor 30 Millennia Dual Fuel Range. It comes with a full manufacturers warranty and is in the factory sealed box. This item will s...

Dual-fuel Range Stainless Control Panel W/housing - 5303935257
Sears Parts Direct

Verona 30 Inch Dual Fuel Range VEFSGE304PBU Burgundy

Verona 30 Inch Dual Fuel Range VEFSGE304PBU Burgundy

This Verona 30 inch dual fuel self cleaning range is constructed of 304 stainless steel and features European convection oven with element. This multi...
VintageTub.com