Tanger Outlets

Tanger Outlets at The Arches in Deer Park, NY

Nov 14, 2011

Pros:Lovely atmosphere, not too large, clean, there are bargains to be found!

Cons:Not all stores are an outlet/factory store

The Bottom Line: This outlet center is designed unlike any other on Long Island. A nice shopping experience with the possibilty of good bargains!

Several years ago Tanger Outlets opened its second location on Long Island. Known as Tanger Outlets at The Arches, or just The Arches, this outdoor outlet shopping mall is located in Deer Park, New York.

Getting to The Arches
Tanger Outlets at The Arches is located on Grand Blvd., off Commack Road. As opposed to the first Tanger located on Long Island’s East End in Riverhead, The Arches is located more in the center of Long Island. It can be reached by heading south off exit 52 (Commack Road) from the LIE (Long Island Expressway). You can also get off the Southern State Parkway at Exit 40 North (Deer Park Ave/Rte 231). Take Deer Park Ave about a mile or so, then bear right at Commack Road.

Want to take the train? Take the LIRR to the Deer Park train station. From there you can get a free shuttle but right to the outlet.

The Arches
Tanger Outlets at The Arches is unlike any other shopping location on Long Island. Don’t expect the big square group of stores like at the Riverhead Tanger Outlets. The Arches is more compact yet well designed. It is designed as if you are walking down open air, narrow streets. The buildings don’t look like just stores. They have a terra cotta color. The second level of the buildings have a very Mediterranean look to go with the color theme. In fact, the walkways also follow the theme. They have been given names such as Via Roma and Via Milano. Even more in line with the theme is the central piazza. Currently the Christmas tree is being set up in the piazza along with a skating rink.

Shopping the Arches
There are around 100 retailers at The Arches. There are a range of stores from Old Navy Outlet, Nike Outlet, Ann Taylor Factory Store, and T-Fal Outlet. The entire list of stores can be found at the Tanger website.

Not all of the stores are outlet/factory stores. Some are simply regular stores, so it is important to realize that before your shopping trip. Pay attention to the store names to help you differentiate the regular stores from the outlets. When you are shopping at an outlet store you can find some good bargains. Just be aware of what you are buying. While some items may simply be overstock, others may be “imperfect” or “irregular”.

Also found at The Arches is a Regal Cinemas with 16 screens. There is a NY Sports Club. My friend with whom I was shopping commented, “Good idea having the fitness club. The guy can work out while his wife shops!”

Before You Go
Before you head to The Arches, I would suggest a visit to the Tanger website. On the website you can find a store directory and map, along with the various parking lots. If you are doing a lot of shopping, it’s a good idea to know where the stores are that you plan to visit and their proximity to where you should park.

There are also online coupons for some stores on the wesbite.

Services
There are plenty of directories around The Arches. You’ll never find yourself lost or wondering where a particular store is located. There are billboard directories and plenty of easily accessible paper directories to take with you.

Restrooms are also plentiful and clearly marked. I only used one restroom, but it was spotless. The stalls had tile shelves built into the walls for pocketbooks. The toilets, sinks, soap dispenser and hand driers are all motion sensitive. Very modern! My friend and I were impressed with the side room containing a changing station along with a rocking chair, presumably for a nursing mother.

If shopping has made you hungry, there a few options located outside of the movie theater in the piazza. There are a few places to sit down for a bite including a Haagen Dazs, Chipotle and Johnny Rockets.

WiFi is available in the piazza. There are locations to buy coupon books and gift cards.

My Day at The Arches
The Arches are only 15 minutes away from my home, but this past weekend was my first visit. We spent about 3½ hours there. I found some really good deals, and some not so good deals. The Arches is a very comfortable and attractive way to shop. The whole location is very clean.

There aren’t as many stores as the Riverhead Tanger, but I prefer Deer Park because it is so close to me. I can buy something without being concerned about the possibility of returns.

Parking is located all around the outlet. From the looks of the packed parking lot you would think the place would be mobbed. However it didn’t feel like that while walking along the “vias”. The only place I found to be crowded was inside The Christmas Tree Store.

Tanger Outlets at The Arches offers a shopping experience with a look and feel that can’t be offered anywhere else on Long Island. The beautifully designed buildings create a unique atmosphere for this area. It’s worth a visit for a day of shopping, and hopefully some bargains!

Ads by Google