Targus AMB04US Wireless Optical Mouse Reviews

Targus AMB04US Wireless Optical Mouse

Decent Bluetooth mouse but the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook 5000 is nicer

Jan 16, 2010 (Updated Jan 17, 2010)

Pros:1600 or 800 DPI switchable.  It works.  Power saving features extend battery life.

Cons:Mouse wheel in a funny spot.  Minor quality nit at first,  see review.

The Bottom Line: A Bluetooth nice mouse for a decent price works and does what it is supposed to.  I can recommend this product.

I had to buy (3) mice one for me and one each for two college-student sons.   I ordered two of this Targus AMB04US Mouse from Newegg I think I paid $36, and I bought (1) of the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook 5000 mouse at the same time.   This review is of the Targus.

Since I own two of these, I will inlude performance of both of them.   The son's is a Dell XPS M1530 laptop with built in Bluetooth, running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.   My desktop is a home built Intel i7 860 fire-breathing monster I built just 2 months ago.

With the Dell XPS Windows instantly noticed the Targus mouse and paired with it seamlessless and was up and running.  On my Desktop I was using a CSR Bluetooth Radio on a USB dongle.  The PC still found the mouse and paired with it; however it asked me if I wanted a PIN or just pair withouth, an extra step.

The Targus AMB04US is a basic 2 button mouse with scrool wheel but pressing down on the scroll wheel acts like a third mouse button.

The Targus is larger than the Microsoft 5000 mouse; it is also cheaply built and seems a bit chintzy compared with the Microsoft product.

The scroll wheel is situated a little far back towars the center of the mouse, and that makes you grip the mouse a bit further back to compensate.  End result for me at least is it is less comfortable.

Installing the (2) AAA batteries was a breeze there is a standard pop-off battery door.  Whereas on the Microsoft 5000 it is like a Chinese box a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to install batteries (answer: the lower portion of the top of the mouse slides off)

The Targus has an LED laser for tracking.  Once installed it does track very well.  It can be set for 1600 DPI or 800 DPI the default is 800 and that is where I keep it.

Controls are simple: a clearly marked ON/OFF switch, and a reset button.  You only need to press the reset the first time you pair the mouse with your PC.   After that you never press it again.   I always turn off the power switch on the mouse but if you don't it knows when the PC is off and powers itself down to a trickle use of power.  So if you forget to shut off the power switch the batteries will still last a long time.

The scroll wheel on this mouse is translucent and when you move the mouse there is a red flash of light from the LED laser.  Maybe that is there to tell you the mouse is working, I do not know.  I find it slightly annoying though.   Just a minor nit.  I will know the mouse is working because the cursor is moving across the screen when I move the mouse.

There has been just one occasion, the first day I used it, that the Targus mouse "got lost" or "froze" and would not move the cursor.  I turned the power off and on again.  After that it has worked fine.

For a Bluetooth mouse the Targus is rather large, between the size of a laptop mouse and a desktop mouse.  Maybe it is designed to do both.

When I first got the mouse there was a noticeable "catch" when rotating the scroll wheel.  After one full revolution there was one rought spot that would catch and you could feel it.  Very annoying.  After a few days of use this rought spot has worn down and now rotating the scroll wheel feels smooth.  Stil that is a bit of a quality issue.  Not big just a nit.

There is quite a big advantage to using a Bluetooth mouse instead of a "wireless USB" mouse.  The wireless mouse quite often requires a device driver to fully recognize the device and get all of the features of the mouse working   And there is a "dongle" sticking out the back of your PC that takes up a USB slot.  On a laptop that typically only has two or three USB slots, that can be a big deal.

Whereas the Bluetooth mouse needs no dongle, frees up a USB slot on the laptop and works seamlessly.  I paid an extra $20 on my son's Lenovo T500 to pay for the "integrated Bluetooth" in the laptop and I am already glad I did because with a laptop a "Bluetooth mouse" really is the way to go.    I really had added Bluetooth so he would be able to print in the college library in case there was a Bluetooth printer there but using the Mouse is even more handy.

The Targus Bluetooth mouse is a very nice product and now I had it a few days quite comfortable.  Still there were a couple of minor nits and thought the Microsoft 5000 mouse gets and desrves 5 stars from me the Targus is a bit below that so 4 stars is gets.

I can still recommend the Targus though.   Feel of a mouse is highly subjective different people have different hands; the Targus is fully functional.  Just in my hand the Microsoft 5000 feels nicer.

Targus Amw50us Wireless Optical Mouse

Targus Amw50us Wireless Optical Mouse

Welcome to Our ebay store... Shop categories Shop Pages Product Information TARGUS AMW50US WIRELESS OPTICAL MOUSE Item#: 760806 Brand: TARGUS Product ...

Targus AMW50US Wireless Optical Mouse - (Black)

Targus AMW50US Wireless Optical Mouse - (Black)

Targus - Mouse - optical - wireless - 2.4 GHz - USB wireless receiver - gray black
MacMall
Targus Amw50us Wireless Optical Mouse Brand Sealed

Targus Amw50us Wireless Optical Mouse Brand Sealed

Please look at the pictures for item identification We Do Not Show Stock Pictures This Is The Item You Will Receive We only sell Brand New Unopened it...

Targus Amw50ca Wireless Optical Mouse Amw50us

Targus Amw50ca Wireless Optical Mouse Amw50us

Wireless Optical Mouse

Wireless Optical Mouse

Optical sensor technology. Optical technology provides improved accuracy and precision. Dual-purpose design Large enough for comfortable desktop use, ...
Targus Wireless Blue Trace Mouse Full-size

Targus Wireless Blue Trace Mouse Full-size

The Targus Wireless Blue Trace Mouse AMW50USfeatures the latest Blue Trace technology for accurate and precise tracking. Blue Trace technology combine...

Targus Bh3880b Targus Wireless Optical Mouse

Targus Bh3880b Targus Wireless Optical Mouse

About Us Ebay Store Shipping Returns Payment Top Brands:Plantronics Polycom Samsung Panasonic Garmin Motorola AT T Humminbird Norelco Braun Sony Oral-...

Targus(R) Compact Optical Mouse, Black - Gray

Targus(R) Compact Optical Mouse, Black - Gray

Great for notebook computer users Compact design saves space. At only 3in. long, it's great for those who want the convenience of an external mouse bu...
Office Depot