Tecnu Skin Cleanser 12oz

Boy I sure do wish this would work for me

Jul 13, 2009 (Updated Jul 22, 2009)

Pros:Worked on the dog. Available  On-line and at many drugstores

Cons:It did not work on me. poison ivy rash everywhere

The Bottom Line: This product works on most people I know but not on me. Works well on the dog when he gets hit by a skunk. Recommended for the dog

The Story
Being in the great outdoors camping or fishing is what I consider to be heaven on earth. I also partially heat my house in the winter with wood. What do these things have in common you ask? They both leave me exposed to poison ivy.  To make matters worse, I find myself most likely to contract the ills of poison ivy no matter which group of people I hang around with.

Upon advice from friends who are in the National Guard I purchased the "Big " Bottle of Tecnu. I figured if this stuff works I don't ever want to be without it. Sure enough, the next time I went out to knock down a tree for firewood, You guessed it, I got poison ivy. I figured I was all set. If this is good enough for the Army guys, this old sailor should breeze through the scourge like nothing.

As soon as I got home from my firewood cutting job, I stripped off the clothes and threw them directly into the washing machine with about 4 or 5 table spoons of Tecnu. I made sure to get the Tecnu on the areas of clothing that had the most contact with the spray of wood chips from the chain saw. ( the front of the pants , sleeves and front of shirt and socks) I proceeded to the shower and with out turning on the water I scrubbed my entire body with the product. Afterwards I rinsed off in an ice cold shower.

Now for most folks what I described above would have sent the poison ivy oils packing to far reaches of the earth for a good long time. However I must be that special kind of person because when I awoke at 2am that morning my legs were red and bumpy. Once that happens the only thing that seems to help is to rub my skin down with a rag soaked with gasoline followed a rub with a rag soaked with bleach. I will say it hurts something fierce but it sure beats scratching all night.

My wife and kids have had some luck with Tecnu but the one who got the most benefit was the dog when he got sprayed by the skunk. It took about half of the bottle but I would have gladly used the whole bottle in his case. Buying the 12 oz big bottle was worth it in that case. Now if it would only work on me.
ABOUT THE PRODUCT:Tecnu advertises it self as a skin cleanser that removes poison oak and poison ivy oils. Tecnu is a product made by Tec Laboratories Inc. of Albany OR. As with all over the counter medications and health products, I strongly encourage the user to read the directions before use.
Tecnu contains the following ingredients:Deodorized Mineral SpiritsWaterPropyleneGlycolOctyphenoxy - PolythoxethanolMixed Fatty Acid Soapsand Fragrance

This review is on the 12 oz. size of Tecnu, however other sizes are available. The 12 oz. Container is equipped with the easy to used push to pour top. As stated on the back this product is for EXTERNAL use only and "KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN"  (it is in bold caps on the back)

The product (Tecnu) it self is a creamy white color.  The texture is smooth and watery with no abrasive  or gritty qualities. The creamy whiteness goes away and changes to a slippery clear film likeness as you rub the product on your skin. I feel it does not leave much residual materials after 20 or 30 seconds of rubbing. After 2 to 4 minutes the product dries to smooth and slippery yet dry film on the skin. Upon rinsing skin with cool water the film feeling goes away and the skin feels very smooth.

In the ingredients it states they add fragrance. Do not be surprised when you find out Tecnu does not smell like French perfume. I can only liken the scent to industrial men's room soap. It has that clean smell but I would not go as far as want an after-shave in the same scent.

USAGE
Can be used before the rash starts by applying to exposed. dry skin with in 2 - 6 hours.

After rash appears by applying to effected skin as well as surrounding skin. Rub Tecnu in but avoid breaking the skin. It is suggested to rub down entire body and rinse with a cool shower. If itching persists re-apply Tecnu and rinse with a very warm shower. Baths are not recommended. Repeating often is OK.

Pets are cleaned by applying Tecnu to a cloth and wipe down the coat of the pet. Follow up with a bath using pet shampoo.

Clothing is to be fully saturated with Tecnu in a bucket for several minutes followed by washing in the laundry with hot water. (I recommend running clothes through 2 hot wash cycles after Tecnu saturation)

Tools are to be wiped down with a rag saturated with Tecnu and then washed with soap and water. (I personally threw the rag out afterwards)

Tecnu is also good for removing tree sap and road tar by rubbing it directly on the stain followed by a quick rinse.

CONCLUSION
I have to rate this as 3 stars even though it did not work for me. I do have well water and that may play a factor in the results I have received. However I did not do any controlled studies or lab testing and I am clearly reporting on my personal results. I feel I used Tecnu according to the directions and did not receive the desired results. In Buffords case it did perform to expectations and for that I am truly jealous of him for it. But then again if you were live life in Buffords paws I would be jealous of you as well.

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser 12oz

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser 12oz

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser 12ozSkin Cleanser Uses Removes Oils Fast: Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser is your solution to the misery of poison oak, ivy...
American Drug Supply Store

Tecnu 12-oz Outdoor Skin Cleanser

Tecnu 12-oz Outdoor Skin Cleanser

Use Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser within 2-8 hours of exposure to remove the Urushiol oils that cause rashes from poison ivy, oak and sumac. This outdoo...
Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser - The Original - 12 Fl Oz (355 Ml)

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser - The Original - 12 Fl Oz (355 Ml)

Brand New!(1)Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser The Original Removes poison oak and ivy oils that causes rash and itching Can be used on: Skin, tools, clothe...

TECNU FG10079 Skin Cleanser,Oak,Ivy,Sumac,12 oz

TECNU FG10079 Skin Cleanser,Oak,Ivy,Sumac,12 oz

Skin Cleanser, Package Type Bottle, Size 12 oz.
Zoro

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser, 12oz (1427269/083926112002/675)

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser, 12oz (1427269/083926112002/675)

Description Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser, 12oz Outdoor Solutions Since 1962.This product is your solution to the misery of poison oak, ivy and sumac. I...

Skin Cleanser, Oak, Ivy, Sumac, 12 oz - Tecnu

Skin Cleanser, Oak, Ivy, Sumac, 12 oz - Tecnu

NO EXPIRATION DATE. IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO USE AFTER 3 YEARS OF PURCHASE. ITEM HAS NOT BEEN TAMPERED WITH IN ANY WAY. WILL SHIP IN A PADDED ENVELOP ...
Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser - Removes Poison Oak And Ivy Oils - 12 Fl. Oz.

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser - Removes Poison Oak And Ivy Oils - 12 Fl. Oz.

mr.obedientrebel Store Medicated anti-itch outdoor skin cleanser. Fast cooling itch and pain relief Stops itching pain, dries oozing, promotes healing...

Skin Cleanser,oak,ivy,sumac,12 Oz - TECNU - Tec Laboratories

Skin Cleanser,oak,ivy,sumac,12 Oz - TECNU - Tec Laboratories

(11) Tecnu Skin Cleanser Soap 12 Oz Removes Poison Ivy Oak / Ivy Oils / Sap

(11) Tecnu Skin Cleanser Soap 12 Oz Removes Poison Ivy Oak / Ivy Oils / Sap

(11) Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser 12 oz Removes Poison Oak/Ivy Oils/Sap ALL NEW BOTTLES. LABELS WILL HAVE STAINS/ DISCOLORATION FROM A BROKEN CAP IN TH...

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser - Tecnu Poison Oak/ivy Cleanser 12oz

Tecnu Outdoor Skin Cleanser - Tecnu Poison Oak/ivy Cleanser 12oz

Paypal Only Ship Within US No Shipping to P.O. BOX address We usually ship within 3 business days. ENJOY SHOPPING!