TMNT

Half Baked Half Shell Heroes

Apr 3, 2007 (Updated Apr 21, 2009)

Pros:Animation is interesting yet good

Cons:Story

The Bottom Line: The movie could have been so much more.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are one fad I missed. Since I didn't grow up watching TV, I missed the cartoon. And I never got around to watching the movies. As a result, I planned to skip this one. But I got talked into it by some friends.

Of course, I did know the basics of the franchise. Four turtles and a rat get exposed to radiation and grow to human size. They learn martial arts and use their powers to fight crime.

Leonardo (voiced by James Arnold Taylor) has been studying in South America. He's been sent there by Master Splinter (Mako) to learn how to be a better leader to his brothers. The training didn't go well, and Leo stayed.

But in his absence, his brothers have lost their way. Michelangelo (Mikey Kelly) dons a costume and hires himself out for entertainment as kid's birthday parties. Donatello (Mitchelle Witfield) works as a computer helpline operator. Only Raphael (Nolan North) still fights crime, taking to the streets at night as a vigilante.

The turtle's human friend April (Sarah Michelle Gellar) finds Leo while on an antiques expedition. When she tells him all this, he decides to return to New York, where he is greeted warmly by all but Raphael.

He's returned just in time, however. Something evil is happening in New York City. Weird creatures are on the loose and even stranger creatures are capturing them. Can the turtles pull together to find the answers and defend their city?

Even though I am unfamiliar with the franchise, I found this movie fairly predictable. Now that's not necessarily a bad thing in my book. There are some movies I absolutely love that were predictable.

My bigger problem came with Leo and Raphael's fight. I expected to watch the turtles working together and was rather disappointed to see them fighting for most of the film. Why do writers think we want to see conflict in group like this? I don't like it.

There is a villain who poses a threat to all of human kind, but that story seemed to take a back seat for most of the film for the Leo/Raphael storyline. It's emergence at the end was sudden. Frankly, it felt like a sub-plot thrown in to give the turtles something to fight while the movie mainly focused on the internal conflict.

Not that the villain wasn't entertaining. I got caught up in wondering how the turtles would defeat him. I just wish it had been more prominently featured.

The voice cast for the movie features a mix of known and unknown actors. I recognized Sarah Michelle Gellar right off the bat, but didn't pick up on Patrick Stewart, Laurence Fishburne, or Chris Evans. Frankly, the identity of the voice cast doesn't matter. Everyone does a great job.

The computer animation is quite interesting. It's part realistic, part comic book. There were shots that looked very real, including some during a rain storm. Other times, it looked like something directly out of a comic book. It's a weird mix, but it works.

Even though this movie wasn't my first choice, I went in with an open mind. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to its potential.

Tmnt Candy Treat Bag

Tmnt Candy Treat Bag

The TMNT Candy Treat Bag can be used at birthday parties and on Halloween. Send off your trick or treater with this bag so they can hold all of their ...
Costume Discounters

TMNT Sweater

TMNT Sweater

This TMNT Sweater features the faces of Donatello, Michelangelo, Raphael and Leonardo and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles logo.
80sTees.com

Tmnt Big Foot Action Figure Mail Away Only In Sealed Box

Tmnt Big Foot Action Figure Mail Away Only In Sealed Box

TMNT Big Foot Figure - New in Factory Sealed Box This figure was only available as a mail away premium. The one you will receive will be new in a fact...

TMNT Basic figure asst

TMNT Basic figure asst

Find figures and mini dolls at Target.com! Tmnt basic figure asst

TMNT Leonardo Skater Dress

TMNT Leonardo Skater Dress

What? You didn't know the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles could ice-skate? We didn't, either. But apparently, they can. Or at least you can, in this TMNT...
HalloweenCostumes.com

Kids Tmnt Crime Fighting Boxed Costume Set

Shredder is going to stay away from you because with this Kids TMNT Crime Fighting Boxed Costume Set you'll be all four of the turtles rolled into one...
WholesaleHalloweenCostumes

TMNT LARP Leonardo the Knight Action Figure

TMNT LARP Leonardo the Knight Action Figure

Let your little one take on exciting live action role playing adventures with this TMNT LARP Leonardo the Knight Action Figure. With his fierce mediev...

TMNT Tablecover