-52%

Average Product Rating: Very Good

Free Shipping Newegg.com
Free Shipping Walmart.com

Ooma Rings Up Savings as Home Phone Replacement

Jul 25, 2010 (Updated Dec 8, 2013)

Pros:Excellent Voice Quality, Great Features, Web Management, Easy Installation and LOW Cost

Cons:Key "2nd Line" feature requires $50 Telo handset, baffling menu options, crippled fax

The Bottom Line: Excellent voice quality, voicemail tracking, call forwarding and other features make this telephone the new standard for cutting home phone costs.  Broadband internet required.  Huge monthly bills forbidden.

UPDATE: (December 2013) Having used the Ooma system for more than 3 years, we can say we are VERY pleased with the cost savings and the performance.  The call quality appears to have actually improved.  Various overseas trips have proved the value of the iPhone/iPod app.  Calls to home are free.  Calls elsewhere, including mobiles in Europe, were just a few pennies.

Passing the 1 year mark, I added a 'star' because Ooma has earned it.

PRICE CUT:  I find the Telo now advertised places like Amazon for $125.  That's a great deal for this phone system.

Consumer Reports rated Ooma #1 in Customer Satisfaction according to a VOIP internet phone survey in May 2011.  By the end of 2013 it has been recognized again and again as one of the top VOIP home solutions.

Having said that, some users are having problems using the iPhone App.  The Android App isn't working well at all.  Ooma needs to fix those.  But I must say, once I set up the new password as required by Ooma, my mobile app has worked very well.

The original review filed July 2011 follows here:

OVERVIEW - The Essentials

If you are reading this, you are probably asking yourself whether the Internet Phone Service with the oddest name in the industry is the answer for you.

We can tell tell you right from the start that the Ooma Telo is one of the strongest contenders as a replacement for traditional home phone service.

We like it very much, but we still see need for improvements as you will read in this review.  It has an unusual business plan but one that offers users the option of very inexpensive service with excellent call quality.  Additional features cost more.   After the initial hardware investment, almost all users will find their costs declining.

Let's get right to the essentials before weighing in with greater detail.

• You must have broadband internet service - Like all VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) phone services, Ooma depends on the internet to make and receive calls and faxes.  If you are like most households and already pay for broadband internet service, you are not increasing your costs...but actually getting more for the money you already pay for your internet connection.  Every evaluation we made of our own internet provider's phone service made Ooma a better, less expensive alternative.

Judging from what we've read on the support forums, cable internet is easier to set up than phone-line DSL.  Ooma recommends a connection that is 256Kb/s upstream -- which will certainly make almost any connection viable.

• Pay it Forward - Unlike other VOIP solutions, you pay for a "lifetime" of internet calling when you purchase the Oooma Telo for $190 to $250.  While the advertising is prone to promise "you'll never pay another phone bill again," the reality is you will pay taxes, 911 fees etc. amounting to about $3.50 every month.

• You can "port" your existing home phone number to your Ooma service for a fee of $40.
We did it.  It took 21 days, which is the normal time required to switch your number to another system.

• If you want added convenience, like Voicemail forwarded to your e-mail accounts as mp3 files, and an 'instant second line,'   you will subscribe to the 'Premier' service at a cost of $10 per month.  That totals around $13.50 a month -- not free.

We'll show you some advantages to that Premier and you should judge for yourself.

Excellent voice quality for free calls anywhere in the United States up to 5,000 minutes a month.  In other words, this is designed for residential, not business use.

• WEB MANAGED All of your controls, settings and voicemail are accessible via the web.  In our experience, Internet Explorer has worked when Firefox has not when setting up some elements of the Ooma system.  If you're having trouble adjusting E-Mail forwarding etc. when using Firefox, try switching to IE.

• What happens when my internet connection goes down?  Ooma will forward all calls that come in to your home phone to your cell phone.  (Premier service required) It works!

• Inexpensive rates for international calls require you to put $10 or more into your Prepaid Online Account.
It's very easy.  Cost vary - China is only 2.5 cents a minute.  Canada, France and the UK are 2 to 4 cents a minute. A call to a mobile phone costs much more, but don't blame Ooma.  Mexico, for example, to a mobile phone is 35 cents a minute.

Complete price list for international calling:

Be aware of other charges on international calls:

3.9 cent "connection fee" for each and every call
14.1% Federal tax - FUSF Federal Universal Service Fund
This is the same on other VOIP services, like Skype.

•  MOBILE APPS: iPHONE, iPOD, ANDROID!

You can use wireless internet connections to place cheap calls to anywhere in the world.  Currently, you can only place calls, you cannot receive them.

If you are a subscriber to Ooma Premier ($10 month) you get 250 free minutes per month.  Calls home from anywhere in the world are FREE...or to any other Ooma phone.  I've used this in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and other destinations and it's fantastic!  We can use wireless hotspots in hotels, airports, etc. to make calls anywhere in the world.  You need a fairly strong signal for good voice quality.

There is now support for Android phones but users report many problems.  I can't recommend the mobile app for Android at this time. (Dec. 2013) The iPhone App itself cost $10 originally but is now free and we highly recommend it.  For some reason, the Android app still says it costs $10.

IDT is offering its own App for a similar service, charging several cents a minute for most international calls from an iPhone, Android or other device.  Ooma does the same thing for free on almost all my calls.

CUSTOMER SERVICE

Our experience has been excellent.  Frankly we only needed a couple of calls at the beginning.  Our calls were quickly answered and the operators were knowledgeable.  The forums are also a good source of information.

WARRANTY:  12 MONTHS FOR THE TELO UNIT with an additional 2 years of warranty protection for repair or replacement of the Ooma Telo can be purchased anytime in the first year for $70.

• The Bottom Line:  Ooma has an unusual business strategy but is providing the kind of service we always wanted from our home phone and couldn't get.  It's not just cheaper...it's better.

Adding in the $200 cost of the hardware, $40 for porting the phone line and $10/month for Premier, we're paying the equivalent of $33.50 a month for the first year and $13.50 a month after that.

We were paying $100 a month without making any calls for 2 lines in my home.  It's a no-brainer.  Taking that into account, Ooma is essentially paying for itself after 4 months.

DETAILED REVIEW

You know the basics and can stop reading here.  We tried to create a detailed review below that deals with lots of specifics on installation, features and all the rest.  Consider it a reference guide, including information on tuning up your router to handle Quality of Service instead of the Telo unit itself.

WHAT COMES IN THE BOX?

Shop around.  We purchased the Ooma Telo for $200 from Best Buy.  It is now being sold places like Amazon for a mere $125.

• 1 Ooma Telo Device
• 1 AC Power Adapter
• 1 Phone cord
• 1 Ribbon Ethernet cable

The Ooma Telo device is quite sleek, resembling a phone without the handset.  The device is connected to your broadband modem.  You connect your phone line to the back of the Telo.

It also functions as an answering machine for the system.  Buttons on the Telo are the backlighted, pressure sensitive kind.  A large Ooma logo glows on the unit in blue to signify a working connection or red, to warn you you are not connected to the internet.  The 'play' button on the Telo throbs in red if there are unheard voicemails.

All things considered, this is a beautifully designed device.  It's charcoal color is unobtrusive, it's glowing keypad pleasant and easy on the eyes.

INSTALLATION

IMPORTANT:

1.  If you are still connected to your regular AT&T lines, do NOT try to plug the Ooma Telo into a phone jack in your house.  You could damage the Telo unit.  You can connect a wired or wireless phone directly to the Ooma Telo for testing.

2.  If you plan to "port" your home number so it will work with Ooma in the future, DO NOT CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT AND SHUT OFF THE LINE with your phone company until 24 hours after the port is complete and working successfully.

After you shut off service and disconnect the landlines, you can plug the Ooma system into that phone jack to have the dial tone available throughout the house.

I have cable internet.  This installation deals with my experience making Ooma work with that.  DSL lines are handled differently, but I have seen numerous posts in Ooma's Support Forums detailing how people have successfully maintained their DSL internet while connecting the Ooma Telo.

Unfortunately, you can't post questions in the forum until you have activated your Ooma device.  While this seemed pointless while I was researching the system, it makes more sense to me now as hundreds of hypothetical posts are kept off the boards.  Use the Search features to find answers to your questions.

ONLINE ACTIVATION

The first step is Online Activation.
Go to Ooma's website and answer the questions.

The process will ask you to enter the 'Activation Code' found on the bottom of your Ooma Telo unit.  You will also choose a phone number, enter your contact information and register your account.

We couldn't seem to get a number in our area and ended up calling Customer Service.  The call was handled by a helpful operator and the process only took a few minutes.  After all we had read about poor customer service, we were delighted to find a human on the other end of the phone who knew what she was talking about.  My wait time on a Friday was less than a minute.

CONNECTING THE OOMA TELO

There isn't much to installing Ooma Telo physically.
  Ooma recommends placing the Telo unit in line between your broadband modem and your household router.  In this manner, the Telo will give itself priority over other internet connections and maintain good voice quality.

I ignored their method and hung the Ooma Telo off a wired port on my Linksys Wireless router.  My logic is that I can give Ooma the QOS (Quality of Service) settings it needs using the internal settings in the router and maintain better control over my system.  This should work fine for anyone with an Internet router that's less than 5 years old.   SEE THE "APPENDIX" AT THE END OF THIS REVIEW FOR SPECIFICS OF HOW WE DID THIS.

The ethernet cable is plugged into the 'To Internet' jack at the rear of the Telo unit.

For testing purposes, a phone or wireless phone base unit is plugged into the 'Phone' jack in the rear of the Telo Unit.

• Positioning of the Ooma Telo can be important if you plan to use Ooma Telo Handsets.  At $50 each, they are expensive in my humble opinion.  Yes, you can use them to hear voicemail and access Ooma's contact list, but that's hardly required.  The Ooma Telo Handset is required if you want 'Instant Second Line.'

Experimenting, I found the Ooma Telo's wireless signal (only to the Ooma handsets) could be blocked by my aluminum computer tower.  Placing the unit atop that big computer case and letting the signal reflect off the aluminum housing upwards improved the handset performance.  (More on the handsets later.)

I plugged a Uniden wireless phone system into the 'Phone' jack at the back of the Ooma Telo.  The DECT 6.0 Uniden pushed Ooma to 4 wireless handsets the worked throughout the house.

One of the first things you will notice is that Ooma has a kind of 'musical' dial tone.  It clearly distinguishes your Ooma connection from any others you may choose to leave in the house or remain there as you test the system and wait for your home number to be ported.

AFTER THE NUMBER IS PORTED

This was easier than we feared.  After our number was ported, we simply went to the telephone box outside the house and found two normal telephone plugs in their respective sockets, for the two lines we had active.  I disconnected them and left a note warning any AT&T repairman not to connect anything lest he damage our equipment.

We used an old telephone to check our house jacks to ensure there was no 'Live' signal or dialtone.  They were dead.

Then, we took the cable that had been plugged into our test unit and plugged it into a wall outlet.

At that point, the Ooma 'musical' dial tone was available from every phone jack in the house.

PERFORMANCE AND FEATURES

This is where it really gets intesting.
It also explains why I have grown to like my Ooma system the more I use it.

First and foremost, the voice quality.
It is truly excellent with very minimal dropout experienced.  Voices sound much like they did on our traditional landline.  We haven't had complaints from friends or family that they have any problem hearing us.

International calls are also clear.
The prices are similar to what you might find on Skype, but it doesn't require your computer to be running in order to make a call...far more convenient.

Once you have connected your Ooma Telo, you can forget about it.  The glowing buttons are nice, but who needs them?

Your Ooma system is Web controlled!

Whether at work or at home, I can use the internet to control my Ooma sytem in many different ways.

my.ooma.com

Your phone number is your login and you set the password.  Obviously, this only works after you have set up an account, but I think the concept is great.

• Get Voice Messages - embedded audio player!
• View/Edit Contact list
• View Call Logs
• Set answering machine response time, call screening
• Set E-mail notifications on receipt of Voice Mail
• Set "Blacklists" to block junk/unwanted callers
• Enable Call Forwarding to cellphone if network goes down (Premier)
• Enable call forwarding for general purposes (Premier)
• Enable 'Fax Mode' and Ring Style
• Block Display of Your Caller ID
• Block 'Anonymous' callers
• Set Default page for My Ooma at Start - Dashboard
• View Pre-Paid Account Call Log and Manage Funds
• View/Edit "Service Address" visible on 911 Calls
• View/Edit your credit card billing information
• View/Edit user name, e-mail, mobile number in Ooma profile
• Enable/Purchase "Add Ons"

If you look over those features, you see a lot convenience for Ooma customers.  You control the billing.  You control services like call forwarding and can change them from remote locations.  As noted, some of those features require the $10/month Premier service.

BASIC FEATURES OF OOMA TELO

• Free U-S Calling
5,000 minutes is a theoretical limit.  Unless you consistently go over that amount of calls every month, they're not really enforcing it from what I have read from the company.

• Caller ID

• Call Waiting
- there are currently some issues with the Caller ID of the waiting call to come up before you connect.  Ooma says they're working on it.

•  Voicemail is accessible by phone or web browser using the Basic level of service and you can always access it using the Telo unit itself.

•  Phone Number Selection
- You can pick a number in a completely different area code if you like.  But warning, not all area codes have available numbers.

•  Number Porting - You pay $40 to get your old home number ported to Ooma.

• 911 Your registered address will show up when calling 911.  But if your internet service is interrupted, you won't be able to access 911 via Ooma.  Cell Phones would work, of course.

MORE FEATURES WITH 'PREMIERE' SERVICE

Only about 25% of Ooma's customers opt to get the Premiere service, according to the company.  This means their monthly phone bill is nothing but tax and 911 fees usually amounting to about $3.50

You automatically get a 2-month trial of Ooma's Premier features when you activate your phone.  You must opt out of the service in order to avoid monthly charges.

If you are willing to pay $120 in advance for a year, you can get a deal on several Ooma offerings.

- Get an Ooma Telo Handset (worth $50)
- Port 1 phone line ($40)
- Get a Bluetooth Adapter that will connect your cellphone into your home phone system ($30 value.)

While I have the Premier service, I must note that it requires the $50 Telo Handset to achieve some of the very basic functionality promised: Instant Second line

A normal handset (wired or wireless) that picks up the phone already in use somewhere else in the house on another normal phone is instantly conferenced in...or eavesdrops.
If you are talking on the Ooma handset with a call, a normal phone connected to the system will get an instant second line.  Confusing?  You bet!

ENHANCED VOICEMAIL

One of the features offered by the $10/month 'Premier' service with Ooma is the ability to have your Voicemail forwarded to two specific e-mail accounts with an attached .mp3 file containing the original voice message.

FEATURES LIST FOR OOMA PREMIER ($10/Month)

• Instant Second Line - This requires the Telo Handset be in use on at least one of the calls in play.

• Three way conferencing

• Multi-ring - Forward home phone calls to your mobile(s.)

• Backup Number - If your internet goes down, you can have all your home calls moving to your cell phone by default

• Google Voice Extensions (Beta) -
A work in progress that promises to integrate some of the outstanding features of Google Voice.  This is all managed at your my.ooma.com page under 'Preferences.'

• Bluetooth  Requires $30 additional Bluetooth dongle for your Ooma Telo.  Put your cellphone on charge next to your Telo unit and all incoming calls will ring into the home system.  Use a Bluetooth headset to answer calls coming into your home system.  I haven't tried this but I may in the future and post an update.  Right now, I don't see a huge advantage here...other than telling the caller to use my VOIP line instead of burning up my mobile minutes!

• Multi-Ring - Configure your Ooma system to simultaneously ring at home and on your mobile phone.  Waiting for the delivery man or the plumber?  While you're making a quick trip to the grocery store, you can set your home phone to ring on your mobile, so you don't miss an appointment or delivery.  (My wife LOVES this!)

• VoiceMail to Text - The convenience of having your VoiceMail transcribed into text and forwarded to an email or sent as an SMS.

This service is Expensive.  $10/month for only 40 messages.  After that, it's 25 cents a message.
I can live without this one, especially at this price.  (Remember, you're already paying $10/month for the Premier service to enable it.)

• Personal number - 1 additional number is free, you can get up to 9 by paying monthly fees.  You can attach one of these to a Telo handset so only that unit will ring when there's an incoming call on that line.  This might be of particular interest to home businesses with limited telephone requirements.

• Private Voicemail - with Premier, you can make an Ooma Telo handset a personal device with a password-protected voicemail account.

• International Bundle - Call globally for $5/month.  You get 500 minutes of anytime calling to 70 countries with reduced rates for even cellphone calling.

Be Careful.  I dial a lot of International numbers and this bundle doesn't even make sense for me.  Even at 1 cent a minute instead of 2.5 cents a minute calling, say China, I would have to talk for 200 minutes a month to break even.  Otherwise, I'm better off just buying the calls on a case-by-case need.

But one important point:  When you buy the bundle, Ooma waives the 3.9 cent connection fee.  Making many short calls accellerates the savings.

Analyze your call records before you jump at the price.  I'll spend less by using Ooma's already low rates and the pre-paid account.

CONCLUSION ON OOMA PREMIER

Overall, Oooma Premium has a lot to offer for those who demand a second line.  But even with Premium for $120, you need a $50 handset to make it fully functional.  That's not great value for money in my estimation.  My wife absolutely wants that.  I think we'll reconsider in another 12 months depending on how much we use the other features.

Remember, if you buy Premier for at the annual rate...charging $120 upfront on your credit card...you get a "gift" of a Telo Handset that everyone sells for $50.  With that, you just might make sense of it.

OOMA MOBILE iPHONE APP

Ooma Mobile - Required addtional $10 App from the iTunes store to make calls from your iPhone or iPod Touch but now the App is FREE!
Premier users get 250 free minutes of U.S. calling.  2 cents a minute for non-Premier users (same rate as Skype.)  You can call internationally for same Ooma rates as home using your pre-paid account.

We purchased this application for use on our iPod Touch. Later, we copied the same $10 app onto our iPhone 4 using Sync.  It works great, no need to purchase a second App.

Warning: It wants a 3rd generation iPod Touch.

We have had minor problems with this App and our 2nd generation iTouch.  You just can't let it slip into background mode because this generation of iPod doesn't support background applications, apparently.

If you have Settings --> General --> Autolock adjusted to take effect in anything but "Never" you may encounter problems with your device locking up.  Once it tries to go into background mode, the Ooma Mobile App may fail and you may have difficulty accessing the App or controlling your device.  (Shut off and restart the iPod to fix -- this only applies to devices older than the generation 3 iPods.)

Ooma Mobile App is very similar to Skype's dialpad with pre-paid minutes.  But with the Ooma and Premier service, you get 250 minutes of free calling in the U.S.  Still it will take me 500 minutes of U.S. calls to recover the cost of the App!

Analyzing my call records, I am not being charged the 3.9 cent connection fee for those calls with Ooma Premier.

That said, unlike Skype, you can't accept incoming calls.  Maybe in the future this will be implemented.

Management of the Ooma Mobile login comes online at my.ooma.com

There you can generate a new password, if needed.  I only had to do this once when I had completed porting of my phone line and the temporary number I had been using was discarded.

OOMA SUPPORT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE

We feared Ooma's adventurous model of VOIP because of posts we read in various forums about poor customer service.

For us, CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS BEEN EXCELLENT.
Every phone call has been answered within barely 2 minutes.  Service representatives on the other end of the phone have rapidly solved our issues and answered our questions.

Technical service, when trying to solve problems we had with the Mobile App, was quick to pick up, but left me on hold for 30 minutes (what do I care, I left them on speaker phone!) They finally came back to tell me the Ooma Mobile App doesn't work with Apple OS4.  WRONG!  It does.

Perhaps Ooma has taken customer service to heart.  We hope so.  That was the only time we had sub-par telephone support.

In addition, the forums give us very quick responses to our questions after we've done a search of available posts.  We prefer the forum for most issues and have not been disappointed.

The User Guides and Knowledge base are extremely spotty.  Often, they simply do not address the issues most customers have.

More than one Ooma customer has posed the question whether the company is ignoring known issues and trying to sweep them under the carpet.

A great example of this is the lack of the simple explanation that two generic handsets are not capable of getting the "Instant Second Line."  The information Ooma offers is that you can use the Telo handset to get a second line.  So spend $50 to get one!

Here's the reality:

• Telo handset on call - any generic phone will get a new dial tone

• Generic phone on call - any Telo handset will get a new dial tone

• Telo handset on call - additional Telo handset will get a new dial tone

• Generic phone on call - generic phone will pick up and 'conference/eavesdrop' the same call: NO instant second line either with or without the Premier service.

We understand why Ooma would like to sell more Telo handsets at $50 each.  But we wish management would make reasoned recommendations for other handsets and wireless sets that will work well with the Telo.

Having said that -- and just to make matters more confusing -- a generic handset CAN GET A SECOND LINE.  You just have to be engaged on a call.  Then, pressing the 'Call' button gets you the second line and you can telephone a friend to make a conference call or for some other reason.  Go figure.

Overall, customer support is pretty good.  Our point is that there needs to be a lot of work done on the knowledgebase and more questions added to the FAQ to meet the needs of a growing base of customers.

Come on, Ooma!  You have an opportunity here.  Open up and let the information flow.  Don't cripple the system to sell handsets.  Make a handset at a price we can't pass up!

FAXING WITH OOMA

Fax (facsimile) service was developed in the age of the analog telephone and it has not been updated.  It is not at all digital.  None of this specifically applies to Ooma, it's a VOIP (internet telephony) phenomenon.

We have an HP Officejet we love to use when it's necessary to send and receive faxes.  Ooma hasn't made it impossible, but VOIP has made it more difficult.

We'll give Ooma credit, they recognize a problem not of their making: VOIP was never designed to accommodate fax transmission or reception.

On your fax machine, go to the settings and disable error correction.  Force the fax to send/receive at a rate no higher than 9600 baud.

Ooma actually has a pretty good Knowledge Base page on the subject:

The Ooma Telo REQUIRES that you go to your PREFERENCES page on my.ooma.com and select "Phone Numbers."  Double click on a number and click on the checkbox that says "Enable Fax Mode!"

(This is a good example of the sometimes baffling menu choices confronting the user.  You go where you think you should be and find nothing you need.  What you need, the "Enable Fax Mode" checkbox, only appears if you double-click on the number!)

Moreover, to ensure excellent voice quality, you may have to go back and disable that "enable fax mode" check box when you're done.

Even then, don't expect the same quality of fax service you got with an analog  line.  Sorry, but that's the truth.

You can make Fax work.  You just aren't going to enjoy it, folks.  I'm experimenting with my free, second line.  I'm making that a fax line and leaving 'Fax mode' enabled.  I will update this when more test information is available.

THE OOMA TELO: CONCLUSIONS

This is an internet telephone system you may grow to love for its excellent call quality and outstanding features.

Clearly, Ooma as a company and a phone service is evolving.  I see promise because they've gotten so much RIGHT!

After paying around $200 for the hardware, you're almost done.  It will reduce your monthly bills to as low as $3.50 for just the taxes and fees.

Even adding more features with the Premium package only adds $10 a month.  Study those additional features.  Most people in this cell phone age simply don't need them.

FACTOR: THE BUSINESS MODEL

While there has been some online debate about Ooma going out of business and the fact you risk your investment, we believe those risks are minimal.

You are buying the equipment up front.  The company can afford to furnish huge amounts of telephone minutes that are growing cheaper, not more expensive.  The reality is that most of us don't use our home phones for anything but incoming calls.

Ooma figures our down payment on the hardware is good for 5 years of their costs to support us.
That means that if we upgrade our hardware in a few years they've hit their margin nicely, thank you very much.  And unlike Vonage, they didn't front us the equipment, we fronted Ooma the cash.

Ooma management appears to have invested millions of dollars wisely in this new Telo device to fit a growing customer base well into the future.

Free phone calls for life?  Not really.  As we've noted in this review, customers will pay the taxes and pay up front for additional services.  Of course, the whole system relies on the fact you already are paying $40 a month for a broadband internet service.

Most will feel they have gotten their money's worth after 2-3 years.

Ooma Telo is giving a great mix of quality connections and web-based features.  Compare costs with other providers alongside those two basics and you may agree that this is the internet phone service setting the standard in 2010.

APPENDIX - ADJUSTING QoS - QUALITY OF SERVICE SETTINGS

If you have installed your Ooma Telo immediately after the Cable/DSL modem and connected your home router to the Telo, you can ignore this.
  This section is a discussion of how you can use your home network router to control the amount of bandwidth available to your Telo unit by making adjustments in your router.

This appendix pertains to you if you have setup your system like this:

===>CABLE MODEM===>Home Network Router --->Telo Unit

We have a very common router, the Linksys Wireless Broadband-G model.  Your make and model may differ, but the concepts are fundamentally the same.  You want to find the QOS - Quality of Service settings and adjust them.

1.  Adjust the QoS settings in the router.  We find this setting under "Applications & Gaming" --> "QoS" on the Linksys.  We want to give priority to our Ooma Telo device.

• QOS - Enabled (it's a checkbox on our menu)
• Device Name "Ooma" - Priority "High" - MAC Address

Here, we entered the MAC address that is visible on the bottom of the Telo unit.  This tells the router that the device gets "High" priority.

As a second step (and this may not have much effect since we've already named the unit and given its MAC address,) we designated the wired port #4 where the Telo unit is connected to our Linksys router as the only port with "High" priority.  Flow control is "Enabled."

2.  Disable QOS settings in the Telo unit.  We're letting the router give the unit a High Priority, so there's no need for the Telo to be trying to apportion bandwidth after that.  It may actually perform worse if we leave QOS enabled on the Telo unit.

You need to access the web based utility in the Telo unit itself.  You can do this by connecting a computer to the Telo unit with an ethernet cable.  Plug the cable into the "Home Network" jack in the rear of the unit.  Navigate to:

Be patient, it may take a couple tries.

You should see a simple page with an Ooma logo and "Setup."  On the menu in the left column, click on "Advanced" under "Settings."

You will see a "Quality of Service" section, detailing "Upstream" and "Downstream" internet speeds in kbps.  Enter 0 (Zero) in each field to disable those settings.

Click on the "Update" button.  You should be taken to a screen that says "Home Network Parameters Updated OK!"

You're done.

Get the Ooma Telo VoIP Phone System and call anyone, anywhere in the U.S. with no monthly fee to worry about. It comes with useful features of caller-...
NEW Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service Brand New, In Original Retail Box, Never Opened. Product Description From the Manufacturer Ooma Telo Ooma Telo F...
Type Telephone Specifications Free, unlimited calling to any number in the U.S*. Caller-ID and Call-waiting A new number from any calling area in the ...
Newegg.com

Brand new Ooma Telo in sealed box.Posted with eBay Mobile FREE! Sellers: Add a FREE map to your listings. FREE!
Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service Retail Kit - Everything you need for 100% FREE calls! BRAND NEW! NOT Used! NOT Ope...
Need Help? 800-950-5035 Mon - Fri: 10am - 7pm EST in titles descriptions Store | Feedback | Returns | Shipping | FAQ | Payment New Ooma Telo Free Home...
Find telephones and conferencing systems at Target.com! Enjoy unlimited calls within u.s. With the ooma telo ip phone system. You can connect the hub ...