Pros: Most comfortable Reduces shake/movement of partner No "funnel" effect with two people
Cons: Ours stunk the first week or so Can get hard if the room gets cold
Update: I wrote this review a couple years back under the "Abed Mattress" since no Swedish Tempur Pedic entry existed. Now it does, so I've copied it over and added some updates.
We have had our Tempur-Pedic for over a year and are extremely happy with it. From the description, it appears to be the same technology as the Abed product. We bought only the foam mattress and placed it on top of our existing box spring base and it works fine. Ours is a Queen size.
Why we bought it:
We've had high-priced, high-end Sealy mattresses, and although they are comfortable for one person, with two, you get the "funnel effect" and find yourselves tumbling into a depression in the center of the mattress. Also, one person moves, the other (light sleeper) is awakened. Neither of these problems exist with our new mattress.
- It's by far the best mattress I've ever slept on, either alone or with my partner. The drawback is that we're spoiled and seldom sleep well in hotels when we travel.
- You can sleep on your back, side, or even face-down (if you have a good pillow) comfortably. No arm/leg falling asleep, cramps, etc. in the morning.
- It doesn't move. Unless you bump your partner, she/he probably won't know if you get up or roll around during the night.
- No "funnel effect". If you want to cuddle close, fine. But you won't get sucked into the center. Lie where you want, and you'll stay there.
- Pricey. I can't remember, but I think we paid around $1600-1800 for just the Queen mattress. But the warranty is excellent and we've been extremely pleased.
- Stunk for the first 2 weeks. We got the thing home and it had this awful smell (maybe like plastic-chemical or formaldehyde). We had to air out the room for over a week before the smell disappeared. Was inconvenient, but again, well worth the wait. I'd recommend smelling the thing before you buy it, and if it smells, buy it when the weather allows you to keep the windows open for several days
- Unwieldy. Moving and lifting this mattress requires a couple of people. When lifted it sags and bends, and it is not light. This is only a minor inconvenience since you only have to flip it once a year, if that.
Update Note: I believe you are not supposed to flip it; just rotate it
- It get's COLD. If your bedroom gets cold, so does the mattress. And as the mattress gets colder, it gets harder. It softens up and warms to your body, but during the cold months we throw a little heater pad on it to warm up our feet for that initial entry.
If you like your mattress, stick with it. But if you wake up with cramps in your neck, arm, back, or legs, or if you have difficulty sleeping through the night with your partner, give this a try. Most stores which carry these mattresses have good 30-60 day trial periods where you can return it if you don't like it for full refund. This mattress is unlike any you've every tried, but it is well worth the money!
We've had our original mattress about 5-6 years and it still is going strong. We purchased a full mattress for our guest bedroom and it's great.
We've had guests and even contractors doing work lay on it and they immediately want to go out and buy one!