Tervis JR-T

Tervis Tumblers~Taste of Cold In The Hot Tropics or Hot in the Cold~Great Gift Idea

Nov 23, 2008 (Updated Nov 23, 2008)

Pros:Keeps your drink cold or hot for many hours

Cons:None

The Bottom Line:

These tumblers are just perfect for all kinds of drinks, they are practically unbreakable, made of durable and strong plastic. Very good selection of patterns and designs. Great Gift Idea!

I've been using insulated glasses from the first time I found a set on sale at Marshalls, years ago. What a great innovative idea, a double walled glass that will keep your drink either hot or cold for a much longer time than an ordinary glass will do. And will not "perspire" leaving water marks on your furniture. A completely great concept!

The last set I had dwindled down to just two after I dropped one on my patio breaking it into a million pieces... my last glass was not in great shape since the inner lining seemed be separating, leaving condensation on the inside.

I had to find another set! I always take a cold glass of water to bed with me and hate to wake up in the middle of the night to find my water lukewarm. One of the reasons I love insulated glasses is just for that reason, they keep my water cold and even the ice intact for many hours.

These glasses are hard to find in stores especially in the fall or winter. I think they are considered a summer item, you know, "keeping drinks cold under the sun" kind of thing.

So I searched one of my favorite discount online websites, Bealls Florida.com, and found just what I was looking for. Best of all they had quite a few sets of the "best" quality tumblers on sale for what just an ordinary set usually sells for.

Tervis Tumblers. They say on their website that they work like Magic and are the original manufacturers of this type of glasses or tumblers as they call them.

A little history:

These Tumblers were developed in Detroit by two engineers back in 1946 by Frank Cotter and G. Howlett Davis who realized they had created a "magical" kind of drinking glass, a double walled insulated tumbler that was virtually indestructible and would keep cold drinks colder and hot drinks hotter. They decided to combine the last three letters of their last names and called them Tervis. The rest is history.

What started out as a single size tumbler, which was available with just a few designs, is now a full line of original styles and sizes. Tervis Tumblers are now offered in collegiate and custom made designs, in a whole range of colors with really cool emblems and nearly any kind of pattern that suits your fancy.

Best of all, Tervis Tumblers are made using the finest high grade polycarbonate which appears to look like glass, yet are the strongest, most durable and practically indestructible plastic tumbler you will find anywhere. They even include a guarantee, that states should they become defective, you can return them and they will replace them. A small card comes in the box with that guarantee and a telephone number to call....Boy, you can't beat that!

The double walled construction of each glass is sealed tight with their precision engineering and they use the air space between the two pieces as insulation which keeps all drinks the right temperature and prevents that condensation which marks up your furniture.

The artwork they use is sealed inside on the inner glass and not a sheet of plastic like another set I had. These seem to be suspended in space, well they are, sort of. Looking close at my new tumblers the Flamingos and Palm trees actually look like they are embroidered but you can't see a sign of a how they are placed inside.

My Cold WaterTest

I filled a glass with ice and seltzer yesterday then, after a sip or two, left the house for most of the afternoon...When I came home, the ice was still intact and water ice cold. There was no condensation or water mark on my dining room table. The same thing with my nighttime drink. I woke up thirsty around three in the morning for a sip and it was still cold.  By 5 am the water was cold but the ice had partially melted.

I have two sizes... One -10 ounce glass which they sent me by mistake, since I ordered a 12 ounce set. It's a strange/long story but I ended up with both sizes and they didn't charge me for the 10 ounce glass since I thought I was ordering a set but their typo was just one glass not a set. At any rate I really prefer the 10 ounce tall glass because my little hand fits around the entire thing. Whereas the 12 ounce round tumbler is wider and shorter. But alas, I only have one ten ounce glass and 4-12 ounce pieces... By the way, Beales representatives on the phone couldn't have been nicer with this transaction and didn't even charge me for shipping.

They come in 5 sizes, in addition to the new 10 ounce and the 12 oz, they make 16 ounce tall tumblers, and a 17 ounce mug with handle as well as a 24 ounce "Big T" tumbler, probably the perfect size for a beer. A nice cold brew with that glass!

When I need glasses again will buy the 10 ounce with probably a cat design that I just saw on the Tervis Website..

I think a set of these glasses would make a great gift or anyone and for any occasion. Especially someone who has a hobby or is a fan of a sports team which might be available as one of the emblems.

In addition, they are dishwasher, microwave and freezer safe. They also resist scratching and discoloration.

What I also love are the variety of designs. They have a lovely array of animals and birds and, for the hobbyist; golf, fishing and team sports...Their most popular patterns are called Tropical Paradise.

I really love these Tervis Tumblers and the pattern I just bought, the Flamingo/ Palm tree. A bit kitschy but what the heck...I live in the tropics and these suit my style for down here, and, best of all, they keep my drinks nice and cold just the way I like them.

The price of these glasses can be a bit high if you buy them in a retail store. According to the tag on the box, the set of four glasses is $38, but at Bealls.Florida.com they charged me $21.00. I had a 20% on-line coupon code so the price was only $17 and change. A great deal all around, especially with the no charge for shipping!

Many thanks to Dawn, dlstewart, for adding these glasses to the database so quickly.

Tervis Tumbler Just for Fun Princess 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler PRIN-I-10

Tervis Tumbler Just for Fun Princess 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler PRIN-I-10

Tervis Tumbler PRIN-I-10 The Just for Fun collection is designed to be your perfect entertaining tumbler set. It will keep you hot drinks hot and you...

Tervis Tumbler Regional Flair Kokopelli 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler KOPE-I-10

Tervis Tumbler Regional Flair Kokopelli 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler KOPE-I-10

Tervis Tumbler KOPE-I-10 The Regional Flair Tervis tumblers are functional, stylish and look great forever. Tervis tumblers are as clear and brillian...

Tervis Tumbler Hibiscus Pink 10 oz. Jr-T Tumbler HIBI-I-10-P

Tervis Tumbler Hibiscus Pink 10 oz. Jr-T Tumbler HIBI-I-10-P

Tervis Tumbler HIBI-I-10-P The Garden Splendor collection has designs with embroidered patches sealed between insulated double walls to keeps your dr...
Wayfair

Tervis Tumbler Regional Flair South Carolina Flag 10 oz. Jr-T. Insulated Tumbler SCFL-I-10

Tervis Tumbler SCFL-I-10 The Regional Flair Tervis tumblers are functional, stylish and look great forever. Tervis tumblers are as clear and brillian...

Tervis 24 Oz. Big T Clear Tumbler

Tervis 24 Oz. Big T Clear Tumbler

Visit our Store Ask a question FREE SHIPPING Tervis 24 oz. Big T Clear Tumbler Upgrade to 2-Day Air for just $5.99! Item Description: Tervis Tumbler C...

Tervis 24 oz. Big T Clear Tumbler

Tervis 24 oz. Big T Clear Tumbler

Tervis Tumblers are the strongest, most durable drinkware available. Ultrasonically sealed double wall insulation reduces condensation & keeps beverag...
BeallsFlorida.com

Tervis Tumbler Nautical Sailboat Hc 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler SAIL-I-10-BL

Tervis Tumbler Nautical Sailboat Hc 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler SAIL-I-10-BL

Tervis Tumbler SAIL-I-10-BL The Nautical collection has double wall insulation to keep hot drinks hotter, cold drinks colder, and ice cubes last up t...
Wayfair

Tervis Tumbler Regional Flair SunSet 10 oz. Jr-T Insulated Tumbler TRPC-I-10-SUNS

Tervis Tumbler TRPC-I-10-SUNS The Tropical and Coastal collection of Tervis Tumblers keep your cold drinks colder and your hot drinks hotter. Its inn...