Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray - The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life

Epinions Product Rating: OK

Recommended read

Dec 21, 2000

Pros:Excellent read, lots of raw data

Cons:A pretty long book, but worth it

I can't contribute to the reviews already posted, but I can say that this book, despite all of its controversy, is an excellent read with a lot to contribute to our understanding of intelligence. I tend to disagree with those who claim that IQ and intelligence can't be measured. I'm not a psychometrician, but the evidence presented in the book to confirm the existence of IQ is extremely convincing. It seems as those who try and refute the book and its contents are doing so out of some kind of irrational fear of its implications.

The FAR majority of the book deals with intelligence and social standing, and the interaction of high-IQ people and low-IQ people in today society, and the increasing trend toward the polarization of the two. The book goes into deep analysis of social problems as they relate to IQ as well as the implications of smart children being born into poverty, as well as "dull" children (as they put it) being born into riches.

The book was so controversial because of it's analysis of race and its relation to IQ. Rather than relying on my, or someone else's, analysis of this subject, I suggest you read it on your own. The race pundits have blown this one out of proportion and it's always best to get the info from the horse's mouth.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I think that anyone who has an interest in the role of intelligence in society should check it out. Don't judge it until you've read it.

Bell Curve by Richard J. Herrnstein

Bell Curve by Richard J. Herrnstein

Free Delivery Worldwide : Bell Curve : Paperback : Simon & Schuster Ltd : 9780684824291 : 0684824299 : 07 Feb 1996 : This work offers a perspective on...
BookDepository.com