The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season Reviews

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season - Wedding Bells and a Space Trip

Sep 27, 2012

Pros:Funny, entertaining season of the series.  Priya is gone.

Cons:Nothing for me.  Could be too silly for some people.

The Bottom Line: The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season is another great DVD set for fans of the series.

I quickly became addicted to The Big Bang Theory when the series began airing.  While I haven’t liked a few developments as much, I continue to really enjoy the series.  I’ve been getting the DVD sets and I have watched the first four seasons several times.  I picked up The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season when it was released and quickly watched all the episodes again.

The Big Bang Theory, a half hour comedy created by Chuck Lorre, began airing on CBS in the fall of 2007.  Since then, the show has had a few different time slots.  It now airs at 8:00 P.M. on Thursday.  The series is in syndication now and episodes air on various channels, including TBS and five seasons of the series are available on DVD.  The sixth season is set to begin on Thursday, September 27, 2012.

Some of what I mention in discussing the fifth season of The Big Bang Theory could be spoilers for people who haven’t seen any of the episodes before.

The Big Bang Theory revolves around roommates Leonard and Sheldon and their friends and co-workers.  Leonard, Sheldon, Howard, and Raj all work at Cal Tech.  Howard is the only one who doesn’t have an advanced degree, something that Sheldon loves to point out.  They guys share a love of comic books, video games, and movies.  Penny lives across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon.  She has become friends with the guys and even learned about some of their interests - like how they get irritated if Star Trek and Star Wars are confused.

The same core group of characters have been around since the beginning of the series, though some new characters have turned up.  A few coworkers from the college turn up every so often, like Barry Kripke, someone that really annoys Sheldon.  Really the only additions to the main cast have been Bernadette, the woman Howard is engaged to, and Amy Farrah Fowler, Sheldon’s sort of girlfriend.  The two women do change the dynamic a bit while also fitting in with the main group and adding to the show.  They also provide Penny with female friends to hang out with at times which is nice even though Amy has a borderline freaky obsession with Penny.

The guy characters, especially Sheldon, deal with things in different ways that ultimately end up being funny and entertaining.  I still find Sheldon and his quirks funny.  The way he reacts when his barber is sick and unable cut to his hair is really funny.  Other people may feel differently and find the humor more silly.  Some of the humor uses references to other shows or movies.  I think that works for the show and the characters, but that is something else that some people may not like.  A few more serious things do come up every so often.  Those things are handled in a way that tends to end up more humorous.  Episodes are filmed in front of a live studio audience, and the laughter that is heard is from them and not a laugh track.

The episodes of The Big Bang Theory do have different plots while also having storylines that carry from episode to episode.  Things have definitely built up, and I do think it is best to watch the episodes in order.  What storyline that has gone on the longest is tied to the ever changing relationship between Leonard and Penny.  Leonard was interested in her the moment he first saw her.  They started a friendship that eventually turned into a romantic relationship.  I liked them as a couple.  I didn’t like that they broke up and I really didn’t like the way it happened.  Leonard ends up dating Priya, Raj’s sister, during the fourth season, a development that I absolutely hated.  Priya just didn’t fit for Leonard.  Thankfully that ends fairly quickly this season and Leonard and Penny seem to be moving back toward each other.  At one point, Leonard finds a loophole in the roommate agreement that gets him out of doing a lot of things for Sheldon.

The different relationship that Sheldon and Amy have continues during the fifth season.  At times, it is a bit bizarre, but somehow it works.  Sheldon is content with how things have been going between them while Amy makes it clear that she is ready for more even though Sheldon is so clueless about certain relationship things.  He does struggle at times, like when he doesn’t get why Amy is upset when he brushes off her recent achievement at work.  Amy does push for more from the relationship and Sheldon resists for the most part, though something happens to cause Sheldon to craft a relationship agreement.  It covers when they spend time together and stipulates that Amy must take care of his boo boos and ouchies.  Amy is so determined that she tries to win him over with his favorite childhood meal while the music from the Mario Brothers video games plays.  It is definitely interesting to see Sheldon try to deal with a relationship.

Howard and Bernadette spend the season engaged, so different things tied to planning the wedding come up.  They also have to deal with other things, like if they want children, and Howard’s idea that they will live with his mother.  Given how Howard started out, it is a little odd for him not only to be in a committed relationship, but engaged.  I think he and Bernadette make a cute couple and he isn’t as creepy as he use to be.  The wedding planning does add some interesting elements to the show.  Penny and Amy help Bernadette with some of it and Amy goes a tad overboard with it.  She ends up maid of honor and seems to think it is more her day than Bernadette’s.  The wedding things don’t take over the season even though they do receive a decent amount of attention.  Howard also gets the chance to go to the international space station, so it is a big year for him.  By the end of the season, the time for his space trip is changed, which causes changes to the wedding plans.

The main group of characters have grown and changed as the series has continued, something that I think has made the show stronger.  Sheldon has a ton of issues and quirks, something that I think makes him a very interesting and entertaining character.  He still gets bent out of shape if someone sits in his spot, but he is adjusting to some other changes, like his relationship with Amy.  Jim Parsons is wonderful in the part.  Leonard remains more stable than the other guys but he has his own issues.  Johnny Galecki is good in the part.

Raj still has major issues where women are concerned.  It does seem to be bothering him more and he even talks to his parents about setting him up at one point.  Like I mentioned before, Howard is less creepy thanks to Bernadette.  Sometimes it is still a little surprising that she is with him, but somehow, the relationship works.  Bernadette is really kind and sweet, but she does have a different side.  When she gets angry and yells, she could be channeling Howard’s mother, which is really funny.  Howard’s mother is still heard and not seen.  Penny isn’t going out with as many guys as she has in the past, which I like.  I do think she drinks a tad much at times, but I do like her.  She is sweet overall and I love how she interacts with the guys.  She and Sheldon have somehow developed an interesting friendship even though they still have some conflicts.  Amy is an interesting character who is interested in things getting more serious with Sheldon while she makes uncomfortable comments about Penny.  Those comments could be toned down a bit.  The cast all works together well and the relationships seem believable.

A few supporting characters turn up every so often.  Stuart, the owner of the comic book store, is still carrying a torch for Penny.  Wil Wheaton, Sheldon’s mortal enemy returns as well.  While Wil manages to make things right with Sheldon, I still haven’t forgiven him for the part he played in Leonard and Penny’s break up.  Bret Spinner makes a short appearance and does something that makes him Sheldon’s new mortal enemy.  Kripke continues to annoy Sheldon every so often, like when the two of them fight over a bigger office.  Sheldon’s mother comes for another visit and he has a bit of a fit because he has to share her attention.  I think it would be interesting to see her and Leonard’s mother meet.

DVD Stuff

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season has twenty-four episodes on three discs.  Each disc has a main menu where there is the option to play all the episodes.  There is also the option to go to another menu and select each episode one at a time.  The special features are on discs two and three.  The second disc contains a featurette, The Big Bang Theory @ 100, that focuses on the show reaching 100 episodes.  The Big Bang Theory’s Laws of Reflection has the cast talking about things from the fifth season.  On the third disc, Professors of Production focuses on some of the different departments that help to make the episodes, like the wardrobe and set design.  There is also a gag reel that is pretty funny.

The Big Bang Theory continues to be a very funny, entertaining show that is worth watching.  Fans of the first four seasons will probably find something to like about this season as well.  The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season is a great DVD set for fans of the show.

Once again, I am including some quotes from the season that think help to illustrate the humor of the show.

Leonard: Sheldon, you do this all the time! You fixate on some crazy idea then blow it way out of proportion.
Sheldon: Name one time I've done that?
Leonard: How about the time you put GPS trackers in your garbage because you thought North Korean spies were stealing your doodles? The chicken nuggets you thought were human nuggets? The mysterious cloud that was following you around town? Or the time you put my shirt on by accident and thought you were growing again?
Sheldon: I said name one, you need to work on your listening.

Raj: I don't know if I wanna play any more.
Sheldon: Because you don't have a girlfriend? Well, good lord. If that becomes a reason to not play Dungeons and Dragons, this game is in serious trouble.

Amy: Now Sheldon, I know you're a left handed monkey wrench but you seriously have a mortal enemy?
Sheldon: Yes, in fact I have 61. Would you like to see the list?

Sheldon: Until you either do not go or go to Wil Wheaton's party you are simultaneously my friend and not my friend. I'm characterizing this phenomenon as Schrodinger's Friendship.

Sheldon: You can lead a chicken to Crisco, but you can't make your mother fry it.
Mary Cooper: Sheldon, you pester me one more time about chicken and I will put you over my knee right here in this restaurant.
Leonard: Please pester her? Please? For me.

Sheldon: The two of you need to get your women in line!
Leonard: What?
Sheldon: Last night I was strong armed into an evening of harp music and spooning with an emotional Amy Farrah Fowler, this on a night that I had originally designated for solving the space time geometry in higher spin gravity and building my Lego Death Star ... and why? Because your gal pals Penny and Bernadette went out shopping for some wedding nonsense without Amy, an action they took with no thought or regard as to how it would affect me, the future of string theory, or my Lego fun time!
Howard: What do you want us to do about it?
Sheldon: You clearly weren't listening to my topic sentence.  Get your women in line! You make them apologize to Amy and set things right! I am a man of science not someone's snuggle bunny!
Leonard: Why do I have to talk to Penny? She's not my girlfriend.
Sheldon: You invited her to lunch 4 years ago. Everything about her is on you.  You make it so!

Sheldon: Trust me, if I had a death ray, I wouldn't be living here. I'd be in my lair enjoying the money the people of Earth gave me for not using my death ray.

Raj: Come on, Sheldon, Star Wars.
Howard: I'm pushing play. I mean it. If we don't start soon, George Lucas is going to change it again.

Sheldon: I present to you the Relationship Agreement. A binding covenant that in its 31 pages enumerates, illuminates and codifies the responsibilities of Sheldon Lee Cooper (hereinafter referred to as the "Boyfriend") and Amy Farrah Fowler (hereinafter referred to as the "Girlfriend).
Amy: That's so romantic!
Sheldon: Mutual indemnification always is...

Sheldon: I got a splinter.
Amy: What do you want me to do about it?
Sheldon: Relationship agreement - Section 4: Boo-boos and ouchies. You have to take care of it.
Amy: I should've gotten a lawyer.

Penny: Did Sheldon change the Wi-Fi password again?
Leonard: Yeah, it's "Penny already eats our food she can pay for Wi-Fi". No spaces.

Leonard: Some kind of nerd?  I'm the king of nerds.
Penny: What does that mean?
Leonard: It means that if someone makes me mad, I won't help them set up their printer.

Howard: I'm not signing a pre-nup.
Penny: All right Howard Wolowitz listen up! You sign anything she puts in front of you. Because you are the luckiest man alive if you let her go there is NO way you can find anyone else. Speaking on behalf of all women, it's not going to happen - we had a meeting.

Howard: Look, if you don't want to go to the party, just don't go. You're a grown man. Act like one. Tell Amy you want to spend the weekend having a sleepover and playing video games with your friends!

Leonard: I'd make fun of Sheldon for having girl problems, if I wasn't shocked that Sheldon has girl problems.

Penny: What is the truth?
Sheldon: My Mr. Spock doll came to me in a dream and forced me to open it. And when the toy broke I switched it for yours. Later, he encouraged me to do the right thing and I defied him. And then I was attacked by a Gorn.
Leonard: Okay, that I believe.

Bernadette: Sheldon doesn't know when he's being mean because the part of his brain that should know is getting a wedgie from the rest of his brain.

Amy: No no no.  This is not the wedding I wanted.  I want to wear my maid of honor dress and walk down the aisle with 100 eyes on me while a string quartet plays The Way You Look Tonight.
Bernadette: That wasn't going to be our processional music.
Amy: Well it was gonna be mine.

Leonard: Come on Sheldon, it will be fun.
Sheldon: That's what you said about the Green Lantern movie.  You were 114 minutes of wrong.

Sheldon: Would you like some aloe vera? Cause you just got burned.

The Big Bang Theory - The Complete First Season ~ The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Second Season ~ The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Third Season ~ The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Fourth Season ~ The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season ~

Viewing Format: DVD

Big Bang Theory:complete Fifth Season

Big Bang Theory:complete Fifth Season

The set contains every episode from the fifth season of the highly-rated CBS sitcom THE BIG BANG THEORY. This run of shows features Penny and Leonard ...

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (dvd, 2012, 3-disc Set)

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season (dvd, 2012, 3-disc Set)

The Big Bang Theory Season 5 is a three-disc set with 24 episodes that run about 21 minutes each. This comedy has an ensemble cast starring Johnny Gal...

Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season DVD

Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season DVD

Physicists Leonard Hofstadter Johnny Galecki and Sheldon Cooper Jim Parsons continue to contemplate the mysteries of time and space with considerable ...
Family Video

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season Dvd Ships Fast

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season Dvd Ships Fast

Brand The Big Bang Theory: Complete Fifth Season (dvd, 2012, 3-disc Set)

Brand The Big Bang Theory: Complete Fifth Season (dvd, 2012, 3-disc Set)

Big Bang Theory: The Complete Fifth Season Blu-ray Disc