The Honest Company Shampoo/Bodywash Reviews

The Honest Company Shampoo/Bodywash

ratings (1 Epinions review)

The Honest Company's Honestly Good Shampoo/Body Wash

Jul 26, 2013 (Updated Jul 26, 2013)

Pros:Nice smell, more friendly ingredients, works well, cheap at Costco

Cons:Expensive through the company, made my frizz-prone hair just slightly frizzy.

The Bottom Line: I definitely recommend this, both for adults and children.  Smells nice, more environmentally and health-ily friendly.

As I get older (and as I read and watch more about the state of our planet), I find that I like my products simpler, when possible.  We make our own laundry detergent these days (works wonderfully), our own dishwasher detergent (doesn’t work so well, we’re working on it), and have taken to using vinegar, lemon juice, and washing soda more often instead of store-bought concoctions.  I have tried less chemical-laden hair care products in the past (think shampoo bars and the like), but have always been unhappy with the results.

About a year ago, a friend asked me about The Honest Company—specifically about their membership/shipments of baby care products.  Honestly (har-de-har), I thought their prices were astounding for what they were sending.  While the products were certainly tantalizing, I couldn’t wrap my mind (or my wallet) around the prices.

Fast-forward to two weeks ago, Costco.  I see a two pack of The Honest Company’s Shampoo/Body Wash.  On their site?  $9.95 for eight-and-a-half ounces.  At Costco?  $14.00 for 34 ounces.  No, that’s not a typo.  Fourteen bucks for 34 ounces.

We snapped it up.

The packaging is nice—one of the “depress with your thumb to open” types, with pretty enough bottles.  This is touted as a baby/whole family shampoo and body wash,   Not sure I would have gotten it, had I realized it was intended as a baby shampoo.  I’ve never, as an adult, had good luck with baby shampoos—too much static, too weirdly heavy-feeling, and that’s because babies have different hair.  However, since we’d already bought it, I figured I’d give it a try.  If it turned out awful, it would probably become dog shampoo.

First off, I like the smell.  It’s a sweet/tart, vanilla meets citrus that’s quite pleasant.  Sort of like an Orange Julius for your head.  It’s runnier than a lot of shampoos (most of which are actually meant to be diluted or used in tiny dollops)—not watery, but not thick.  It’s not pearlescent or otherwise fancified.  Looks a lot like dish soap, really, though it doesn’t have the tacky feel of dish soap.

On the head, this stuff feels . .. different.  It lathers, but it’s a bit harder to spread around and work into a good overall lather.  I know, lathering is as much a marketing thing as anything else, but it does serve to let me know where I’ve gotten things washed.  It’s not a huge deal, but it might inspire you to use too much shampoo to achieve that “regular shampoo” lather if you’re not aware.

What let me know that this isn’t just a run-of-the-mill baby shampoo?   How clean and non-coated my hair felt when I rinsed.  It didn’t have that odd, coated, not-quite-clean feeling traditional baby shampoos tend to leave me with.

Ingredients-wise, I wouldn’t call this the perfect, non-chemical-y, organic-‘til-you-cry product, but it does boast contents much more friendly and less threatening than your average fare:

Water, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Coco-Glucoside, Glyceryl Oleate, Glycerin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract*, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract*, Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe) Leaf Extract, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Citrus Tangerina (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Protein, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Triethyl Citrate, Citric Acid

That’s from the bottle, with the asterisks denoting certified organic ingredients.  After spending some time investigating the chemical names up there that I wasn’t sure of, I find nothing here that concerns me.  The Glyceryl Oleate, which is a conditioning agent, emulsifier, and mild surfactant, can irritate eyes, skin, and lungs, but not in the amount present in shampoo (though I wouldn’t rub any shampoo in my eyes, regardless of ingredients).

Now, what’s NOT in this product?  According to the company website, this product does NOT have:

SLS, sulfates, parabens, phthalates, fragrances, dyes, sodium chloride, formaldehyde, MEA, DEA, TEA, petrochemicals or most common allergens.

The Honest Company Shampoo/Bodywash is vegan-friendly, biodegradable, non-toxic, color safe, safe for use on color-treated hair, and claims to be tear-free.  Again, that’s likely true, but I’m not about to rub it in my eyes to put it to the test.  It works just fine as a body wash, and doesn’t leave me itching like many body washes do.

The true test, of course, is my hair—how does it look, how does it feel?

Well, it doesn’t feel weighed down or scuzzy like it usually does after using a baby shampoo.  It doesn’t feel greasy, and it’s not static-y.  It appears neither dull nor particularly shiny—normal.  However, my hair does have a slightly coarser and slightly bigger thing going on.  You know, a little more frizzy or fuzzy than normal.  Not a lot-most folks probably wouldn’t even see this, but my hair is prone to such things.  It was easy to brush out when wet, and doesn’t seem to have become particularly tangle-y when dry, a problem I have with some shampoos.

In all?  I really like The Honest Company’s Shampoo/Body wash . . . at this price.  At 14 bucks for 34 ounces, this is a great product.  I will definitely buy it again.  At almost ten bucks for a quarter that amount?

No way.

So, if you’re in the market for a good, more environmentally and health-ily friendly shampoo/body wash?  This is a good one.  If you want it for a reasonable price?

Costco.

Gojo Shampoo & Bodywash 1000 Ml

Gojo Shampoo & Bodywash 1000 Ml

Gojo Shampoo Bodywash 1000 ml Powered by eBay Turbo Lister The free listing tool. List your items fast and easy and manage your active items.

Indie Hair Shampoo Bodywash Cleansweep 10 Oz

Indie Hair Shampoo Bodywash Cleansweep 10 Oz

rare01 store INDIE HAIR SHAMPOO Bodywash #cleansweep 10 oz FREE! Sellers: Add a FREE map to your listings. FREE!

Surface Men Shampoo & Bodywash 10oz

Surface Men Shampoo & Bodywash 10oz

Color Vitacomplex Suface Men Shampoo Body Wash - Cleanse - Condition - Hair - Face - Body Use: Apply to wet hair, body and face. Massage into lather a...

Shampoo & Bodywash, Medline, 8 Oz, Kiwi-Mango - MEDMSC095060H

Shampoo & Bodywash, Medline, 8 Oz, Kiwi-Mango - MEDMSC095060H

Medline Shampoo & Bodywash, Medline, 8 Oz, Kiwi-MangoMedline Shampoo & Body Wash With Fragrance: This convenient formula doubles as a shampoo and body...
BettyMills.com

California Baby Skin Protectant Shampoo & Bodywash Fragrance Free -- 19 Fl .

California Baby Skin Protectant Shampoo & Bodywash Fragrance Free -- 19 Fl .

California Baby Skin Protectant Shampoo Bodywash Fragrance Free -- 19 fl oz Features Developed by a mother, California Baby has your best interest at ...

Organix South - TheraNeem Organix Shampoo & Bodywash Kids Therape - 12 oz.

Organix South - TheraNeem Organix Shampoo & Bodywash Kids Therape - 12 oz.

Organix South TheraNeem Organix Kids Therapy Shampoo & Bodywash Extra Gentle for Sensitive Eyes, Skin, Hair & Scalps (360 ml)Use TheraNeem Organix Kid...
LuckyVitamin.com

Soothe & Cool No-Rinse Shampoo/Bodywash

Soothe & Cool No-Rinse Shampoo/Bodywash

Perfect for bedside bathing of immobile patients. Ideal for compromised sensitive skin. The no-rinse formula makes cleansing patients skin easy. Just ...
BodyWash Rinse-Free Shampoo And Body Cleanser, 8 Oz.

BodyWash Rinse-Free Shampoo And Body Cleanser, 8 Oz.

Economical alternative to the original rinseless body wash Ready-to-use formula effectively cleanses. Contains Aloe Vera Gel. No alcohol or dyes. Body...
Office Depot

12 Medline Soothe & Cool Herbal Shampoo Bodywash 8oz

12 Medline Soothe & Cool Herbal Shampoo Bodywash 8oz

12 Medline Soothe Cool Herbal Nr Shampoo Bodywash 8oz Proud To Be An Authorized Medline Dealer! Soothe Cool Herbal Nr Shampoo/Bodywash: Soothe Cool He...