-15%
The Picc-a-Dilly Nose Gargoyle Statue - Medium (Design Toscano) (OS68499) Reviews

The Picc-a-Dilly Nose Gargoyle Statue - Medium (Design Toscano) (OS68499)

+$5.99 shipping Hayneedle
+$5.99 shipping Hayneedle

The Gargoyle Version of "The Magic Nose Goblin"

Sep 3, 2011

Pros:Unbelievably cute and gross at the same time, nice detail.

Cons:Wish I could find them locally.

The Bottom Line: If you are looking for a nicely detailed but slightly strange gargoyle, the nose picker is a nice choice.

When we lived in San Diego we got spoiled – not just with the weather but being about twenty minutes from the Mexican border. There were several pottery shops on the outskirts of Tijuana; places that tourists never ventured to. The run down dirt roads with craters instead of potholes, it was a place that you walked to. I was impressed with the gargoyles that they had; I never thought that a place that churned out flower pots and plates would ever get into obscure things. Nestled in between concrete statues of saints and painted coffee mugs were about twenty different gargoyles. I fell in love with all of them but their size and weight made most of them off limits. Every three weeks I would make the trek to the pottery shop and buy one. With most of them weighing about thirty pounds it meant it was a specialty trip. When we moved I had to get rid of them; they weighed too much and chances are they would end up damaged. Now I stick with the lighter weight resin, plastic or hollow ceramic designs but have had my eye on some large concrete sculpts for the yard.

If you start looking in the database for gargoyles you'll notice that most of them are sold by Design Toscano. Located in Illinois, they sell a wide variety of garden themed items including dragons and gargoyles. The "nose picker" is part of a three figure set but it can be purchased separately in three sizes – small, medium and large. They are made of resin but are something that will last for years even if you have them outside or in harsh weather conditions. The nose picker is short and fat but completely charming. I really wish I could find a store that sold the Design Toscano dragons and gargoyles; while the shipping isn't unreasonable I would rather spend that money on another sculpt.

The three you get with the set include the nose picker, bum picker and ear picker. Sure, not exactly conventional but they are hysterical when someone sees them and makes a comment about them then they realize exactly what they are doing. The medium size is about nine inches tall so if you want something larger I suggest going with the next size up. The detail to the nose picker is sweet; you can see some teeth, accented facial features and a huge belly. It stands up perfectly but if you live in an area with a lot of wind you may want to weigh this down. Likewise, they are prone to theft so consider bolting them down to something so they don't disappear in the middle of the night. I would imagine that there is a lot of bad karma associated with stealing a gargoyle. After all, they are there to protect you from evil spirits and bad occurrences.

Larger version of the three gargoyles:

Larger version of the nose picker:

You can get the set of three for $69.95 or purchase them individually for $24.95 to $29.99 depending on whether or not they are on sale. You can get the smaller version of the whole set for about twenty dollars; they make for a great gift even if you split up the set and give them individually. I ordered this online and was surprised that shipping was only $7.95. It was well packed and arrived one day ahead of schedule. The price of the nose picker wasn't overblown; I wouldn't pay more than the list price for it but I really think it is worth $24.95 if you can catch it on sale.

To check out all of the amazing items that they sell, check out their website: www.designtoscano.com

^V^ ©Freak369 - 2011 ^V^

The Gargoyle Book
Gargoyles And Grotesques
Gargoyles of Notre Dame

Shop for Statues and Sculptures from Hayneedle.com! About Design Toscano:Design Toscano is the country's premier source for statues and other historic...
Hayneedle