"The Purpose-Driven Death" would be a better title---It's heresy!

Jun 21, 2008 (Updated Jun 22, 2008)

Pros:well-written, but this reality is used in wrongful fashion

Cons:new-age heresy disguised as "Christian" writing

The Bottom Line: This book and its "spin-offs"--"40 days of purpose/community" and "Celebrate Recovery--need to be avoided.

Matthew 7:15 (KJV) warns us of false preachers who come in sheep's clothing but inwardly are ravening wolves. I'd like to think people will remember and heed this warning before reading this particular book or any other form of heresy.

Rick Warren opens many a new-age door when writing this piece of "Christian literature." He wants the reader to sign a covenant with him (we're not supposed to do that), and he promotes Calvinistic heresy (Calvin might've preached some truth, but every false preacher preaches SOME truth...otherwise, deception would be more obvious) when saying that God ordained that one day we'd be holding that book.

Warren preaches against the cross. He promotes sanctification via humanistic means (implying that every faith is a road to Heaven and that we have salvation in us from birth and that we don't have to put our faith solely in Christ and what He did for us at the cross). He also uses many, many different Bible translations (most translations aren't word-for-word) and takes verses out of context many times.

He also tries to downplay the significance of Bible studies, which is not surprising, given his other areas of heresy, and suggests that "x" amount of Bible studies in the past can allot for the future and eliminate the need for renewed studies.

If Warren would admit that this book is not Christian material, I'd at least respect him for that action, but no, it's portrayed as what it's anything but: "Christian writing."