The Sims FreePlay for PC

The Sims Free Play App Review - Sims get married and have babies

Jan 1, 2012 (Updated Mar 25, 2012)

Pros:fun, can be free, cute graphics and options

Cons:in app purchases are pricey

The Bottom Line: The Sims FreePlay for iPhone or iPad is a fun and free App for the iPhone or iPad.

I have never played any of the Sims games in the past and recently tried the Sims FreePlay because it was a free App for my iPhone. I have been having fun playing the game for the past few weeks, and am thinking I may have been missing something by not trying a Sims game sooner. After playing for a short while it is easy to tell why people love the Sims so much.

Downloading the App

This App is available for the iPhone or the iPad. It is a free download from the App Store and only takes a few seconds to finish downloading.

Can you Sync between the iPhone and the iPad

In short the answer is No. I started playing on my iPhone and really liked the game but wanted to play it on my iPad to see more detail with what my Sims were doing. When I downloaded it to my iPad I tried signing in through EA but it does not seem to save your game play in any way and as far as I can tell, you can not sync up your games. This is a big boo hoo for me, but not the end of the world. Just be aware before you download that you will only be able to play that particular game on the device you download it to.

Problems with the App Crashing

I have had the App crash a few times in certain circumstances and if I come back and try to do the same exact thing it has crashed again. If I come back and try to do something different the game is fine. The crashes are minimal and do not affect my enjoyment of the game. I have never lost anything in a crash.

Game Play

Sims: It appears that you can get up to 16 Sims Characters per game. I have 13 Sims to date and as far as I can tell there are only spaces for 3 more, but perhaps there will be future updates adding more. update 3-22-12, You can not get a lot more sims because all your sims can move in with another Sim. I have  not tried to move more than 2 into one house but it is on my list to try. The Sims can also have babies so the total of Sims for the game has gone way up to at least 32 (two adults per house) and I am not sure if you can have more than one baby. Of course you have to level up to qualify for adding a Sim and that takes time.

Each time you get a new Sim you can make it a boy or girl, give it personality, choose from many faces, hairstyles and clothing options to make each Sim look different. You can choose your own name for your Sims or you can use the ones that are randomly selected.

Places of Business and Recreation: There are a few choices for places that your Sims can work or play. You also collect experience points and can purchase things from some of them.

Cars: Each Sim can have a free car or you can upgrade to a nicer car. So far all I can do in the cars is take a drive which gives me experience points. When my Sim is driving around, I can see their little car driving around the town.

Fixing up their houses : You can buy all kinds of interactive furniture and fixtures for your Sims. During play to get experience points and keep your Sims healthy you will need to use them. There is a store that you can click on to buy things for your Sims houses. You can do tasks to earn money to purchase things or you can buy more from the app store.

Besides buying furniture you can build entire rooms. You can buy wallcoverings, flooring, lighting electronics and more. You can even change the exterior look of your houses.

Garden: There are items you can buy for your garden including garden plots. I have found that the best way to earn experience and money is to put the Sims to work in the gardens. I built up 10 gardens at one house, and 3 at another next door. You can only have 10 Sims in a house at any given time or I would have had all my Sims working in one place. As you level up you can buy more and more seed varieties that take from less than a minute all the way up to 24 hrs to finish.

Keeping a Sim Healthy and Happy: Part of the game consists of doing things to keep your Sims happy and healthy. Sims have to eat, go to the bathroom, rest, shower, work and play. They can have relationships from nemesis to a romantic partner. As far as I can tell these Sims can not have babies.(see update as they now can) I have never neglected my Sims so I am not sure if they will die if you let all their health points dwindle to nothing. I keep mine well fed, clean and happy. :-)

Something Funny I found out by accident

If you shake your phone, your Sims will get dizzy. If you shake it again they will throw up. Then you will have to get your Sims to clean it up. I think I must have shook the phone without realizing it when this happened. Hopefully I have give you enough information about this game without ruining all the surprises.

update 3-22-12 Sims Relationship Status

Sims can be friends, enemies or have romantic relationships. They can also not move in together and have babies.

Enemies: The only reason that you would want your Sims to be Enemies that I can think of is to satisfy a goal or if you have two of them in a Romantic Relationship and you want them to break up. To get your Sims to dislike one another you want them to complain or be rude. As you do this their status will change from dislike, to enemy, to nemesis. As you progress you will also be able to slap the other sim.

Friends: By being Nice to each other your Sims can go through stages to become Best Friends. Sims can have as many best friends as they want.

Romantic Relationships: To form a romantic relationships have two Sims be romantic with each other or kiss hand. Keep doing that until they go through the stages, budding romance, dating, and being partners. Any two Sims can be in a romantic relationship regardless of sex.

Moving in and Getting Married

The new update has allowed Sims to move in together get engaged and get married. To move in together, two Sims have to be Partners and then an option will appear for one Sim to ask the other to Move in. If you keep being romantic until the bar is all the way filled up you can get engaged too. After your Sims are engaged and living together they can get married but only after you fill up the bar completely after they are engaged.

Becoming engaged can be a little tricky. You get to choose from a few different rings and if you pick a cheaper ring your other Sim may refuse the proposal until you pick a more expensive ring so choose wisely!

Having a Baby: You can get your married couples to have a baby by adding a crib to their home and then tapping on it to add a baby Sim. You may have to level up to bring in a new baby. Babies at this time do not seem to grow up and you can play with them, rock them, feed them and change their diaper. The baby Sim can also go to sleep. The baby sims are really cute and they did a nice job with the graphics when the adult Sims are playing with the babies. The only problem I have found is that I can not get the babies "toilet icon" filled. When the adult Sim changes the diaper I just get it half full and it won't go more than that. It could be a glitch or maybe something more is coming .

Points and Leveling Up

As you play the game you will earn and spend money and life points. You earn both by doing tasks unless you buy it. As you level up you will be able to get more Sims and certain other things will be open to you, that are not available at lower levels.

Game Rating

This game is rated for ages 12 and up. The only thing that I can see is this. When Sims are in a relationship they can "woo hoo" which I am guessing means sex. This is about as racy as the game gets. When you have the Sims "woo hoo" a pixilated circle covers whatever it is they are doing. Frankly I have seen more on prime time TV and would not have a problem with my child playing this game so long as they were able to understand the controls.

Game Pace and In game purchases

You can buy extra life points or money from the app store. The purchases have pretty high pricetags and unless you have unlimited funds I would just take your time and wait for things to happen. There is a lot of waiting after you perform an action. This can be a good thing because you can not sit for hours on end playing the Sims without buying extra life points or cash to get the things you need to continue. Sims earn money and life points through doing actions, some of which take time to perform. You do not have to have the app open for the actions to be completed.

My rating

I would rate this game 5 stars except for the high price of in game purchases. The crashes are so minimal they are more of a fluke but I would perhaps consider purchasing some game points if they were not so darned expensive. For that reason. So I knocked off one star for the price of purchases, giving it 4 stars.

My Favorite Apps

CheckPoints
ShopKick
Snoopy's Street Fair
Words with Friends
Coin Dozer
Scrabble

Thanks for reading my review

I hope you have enjoyed reading about the Sims FreePlay App for iPhone, or iPad. If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the comments section.

Sims: Life Stories (pc, 2007) Factory Sealed With Y Folds

Sims: Life Stories (pc, 2007) Factory Sealed With Y Folds

Designed as a laptop friendly version of The Sims 2, Sims: Life Stories features a slimmed down freeplay version of the second edition plus two storyl...

The Sims: Life Stories Create Story Simulation Pc

The Sims: Life Stories Create Story Simulation Pc

The Sims Life Stories - Pc

The Sims Life Stories - Pc

The Sims 3 - Nintendo 3DS

The Sims 3 - Nintendo 3DS

Feature: Control multiple Sims within your household and enjoy life's special moments as you interact with their world. Use the 3DS camera to capture ...
Sealed The Sims: Bustin' Out (sony Playstation 2, 2003) Brand Black Label

Sealed The Sims: Bustin' Out (sony Playstation 2, 2003) Brand Black Label

The Sims are returning to PS2, only this time they have a case of cabin fever and are itching to explore the great outdoors. The Sims Bustin' Out offe...

The Sims Bustin' Out Playstation 2 - And Sealed

The Sims Bustin' Out Playstation 2 - And Sealed

Sims 3: Movie Stuff : PC/Mac Hybrid

Sims 3: Movie Stuff : PC/Mac Hybrid

The ninth stuff pack for EA's massively popular simulation series, The Sims 3: Movie Stuff lets gamers decorate their buildings and outfit their Sims ...
Family Video

The Sims 2 - Sony PSP

The Sims 2 - Sony PSP

Feature: Your net worth is determined by the value of everything you own -- use any assets you collect to unlock the secrets of Strangetown Keep it to...
The Sims 2: Pets (playstation Portable, 2006) Eu Import

The Sims 2: Pets (playstation Portable, 2006) Eu Import

Sims 2: Pets offers a variety of animals, customization features, uploading and downloading options, accessories, and even careers for your furry frie...

The Sims 2: Pets (nintendo Wii) Brand Factory Sealed

The Sims 2: Pets (nintendo Wii) Brand Factory Sealed

In The Sims 2: Pets, Players can create pets for their Sims to love, train, play with and take to the park.