TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandal Reviews

TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandal

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandals look like but are NOT like FitFlops!

May 11, 2011

Pros:Inexpensive, absorb shock, eventually break in, thick sole, may tone some

Cons:Toe separator hurts, hard bottoms, unyielding leather instep strap, not like FitFlops

The Bottom Line: TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandals look like FitFlops and claim to tone the legs, butt, and core. They're OK but nowhere near as comfy and effective as FitFlops.

I was strolling around KMart a while ago when I saw TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandals on sale. They looked a lot like FitFlops and they were inexpensive so I picked up a black and silver pair. They are harder and not nearly as comfortable as FitFlops. They're passable as simple flip flops but they are SO not like the real thing.

About TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandal

These sandals come in pink, black, and silver. They have a leather strap and a molded EVA bottom. The bottom feels like hard rubber. The sandals come in whole sizes only in women's 5-11.

These flip flops are supposed to be toning ones akin to FitFlops. They are thick in the middle, more than an inch high, then taper down in the front and back for a slightly off balance gait and a "wet sand" effect. The footbed is slightly indented and the bottom of the shoe has decent rubber traction.

My Experience

TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandals are part of the TheraShoe collection which are all copies of famous toning shoes like Skechers Shape-Ups and Reebok Easy Tones. These are FitFlop imitations.

The size 8 fit me perfectly which is my usual size. The first thing I noticed was that the part that goes between my toes was hard and uncomfortable. FitFlops have a nice material toe separator that feels lush and takes no breaking in. The leather band across the instep is pretty unyielding does loosen up after walking in the shoes for a while.

The bottom of the Wen feels like it works muscles a little. It's hard though and not too springy. My first impression when I wore these shoes was that I hated them. However, after I walked around a lot in one pair, wearing them in the house and sometimes outside (as it was still quite cool here in New York), I got used to them.

The part that separates my toes still bothers me when I walk a lot but is loosening up and getting softer. The leather strap across the instep is still hard but again, that is slowly starting to loosen up as well.

Walking in the TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandal is supposed to tone everything from the glutes to the legs to the calves as well as take pressure off the back and feet. I don't feel these do a lot of toning but I also don't have any back pain when I wear them nor do I have any foot pain aside from the toe thing.

As far as toning sandals go, I really don't think these are very effective. As far as simple flip flops go, they are better made than the really cheap flat ones sold everywhere and they do have more support. The thicker bottom helps to absorb shock better and things like sticks and little rocks aren't even felt like when I wear thin flop flops.

After wearing one pair of these shoes for two months, I broke them in and I am comfortable in them. Would I buy them again? No. But for around $15.00 or less, they are affordable and they do provide some instability to work the core if nothing else. I think, if you never wore a pair of FitFlops, you may like these. I am comparing the two and the TheraShoe version is coming up way short.

Then again, the price IS right. I paid $14.99 for one pair and got the second pair for half of that. FitFlops are upwards of $60.00 most of the time.

These shoes can be washed under running water if they get wet and they are very easy to maintain. Just wipe them off or wash them with soapy water. They're a decent beach or casual shoe but a lot of walking may be uncomfortable until they are broken in well. Leather is great but when it is glazed and hard, it takes a while to soften and not dig into your feet.

Buying Information

TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandals are only available at KMart as far as I know. They are sold online on their website and in their brick and mortar stores. The price is $14.99 currently but they are always on sale so watch for a buy one, get one half off shoe sale if you're looking for other shoes or want two pairs of these.

Conclusion

I don't HATE TheraShoe TheraSandal Wen Leather Thong Sandals but I don't love them either. They are average at best. I suppose if I hadn't been spoiled by the cushy feeling of FitFlops, I may have liked these for the possible toning they offer. They're not unsightly and they are true to size. They seem to hold up well and can be washed under running water when soiled. I am going with 3 stars.

Do I recommend these shoes to you? If you just want an inexpensive flip flop that may work your muscles a bit and may have some benefits for your back, sure. But try them on first if you can. You can decide if they feel comfortable enough for what you want to do in them. They do break in after a while but they will never be super cushy and ultra comfortable.

Cole Haan Air.Auckland.Thong Womens Leather Wedge Sandals Shoes New/Display

Cole Haan Air.Auckland.Thong Womens Leather Wedge Sandals Shoes New/Display

The Cole Haan Air.Auckland.Thong Sandals feature a Leather upper with a Open Toe. The Man-Made outsole lends lasting traction and wear.
Adornus Yasmine 32 Vanity Set YASMINE-32-HGW / YASMINE-32-WEN

Adornus Yasmine 32 Vanity Set YASMINE-32-HGW / YASMINE-32-WEN

Adornus YASMINE-32-HGW / YASMINE-32-WEN Features: -Yasmine collection.-Wall hung.-Includes mirror and drain.-Countertop with integrated basin.-Counter...
Wayfair

Cole Haan Air Jaynie Thong Womens Open Toe Patent Leather Thongs Sandals Shoes

Cole Haan Air Jaynie Thong Womens Open Toe Patent Leather Thongs Sandals Shoes

The Cole Haan Air Jaynie Thong Sandals feature a Patent Leather upper with a Open Toe. The Man-Made outsole lends lasting traction and wear.
Prada Silver Leather Thong Ankle Strap Sandals

Prada Silver Leather Thong Ankle Strap Sandals

Prada silver leather thong ankle strap sandals. Supple leather strappy upper - available in Silver. Leather. Thong open toe Buckle ankle strap Lightly...
Bluefly

GBX Leather Thong Men's Sandals Size 7 D - Medium

GBX Leather Thong Men's Sandals Size 7 D - Medium

Stay sleek and handsome in the GBX Leather Thong. Leather upper with tonal stitching. Slip on thong construction. Soft man-made lining and footbed wit...
6pm.com

Spa Thongs - Natural

Spa Thongs - Natural

Spa Thongs - Natural - Hardworking feet deserve a little luxury - so after the bath or shower, or whenever they need extra soothing, let them slip int...
Soft Surroundings

Heart 2 Heart Whip Thong Leather 16in - Grey

Heart 2 Heart Whip Thong Leather 16in - Grey

Heart 2 Heart Whip Thong Leather 16in - Grey Description The Heart 2 Heart Whip Thong Leather 16 . This 16 leather thong whip features a wrapped handl...

BareTraps Leather Thong Sandals w/ Stone & Chain Detail

BareTraps Leather Thong Sandals w/ Stone & Chain Detail

Wander all you want in these detailed leather thong sandals. Stone and chain accents on the ruched leather upper keep you in up-to-the-minute style, w...
QVC

Triton Leather Thong Sandal, Dark Pink - K. Jacques - Dark pink (37.0B/7.0B)

Triton Leather Thong Sandal, Dark Pink - K. Jacques - Dark pink (37.0B/7.0B)

K. JacquesTriton Leather Thong Sandal, Dark PinkDetailsMatte leather thong sandal. Golden rings detail sides. Adjustable buckled ankle strap. Leather ...
Neiman Marcus

Speedo Men's Pool Thong Comfort Design Light Weight

Speedo Men's Pool Thong Comfort Design Light Weight

SPEEDOŽ MENS POOL THONG SIZE :PLEASE SELLECT AT TOP GENUINE PREMIUM SPEEDO QUALITY # 7499318 Brand New, Never Used, 100% authentic. SPEEDO MEN's PREMI...