Thermospas Concord Spa

51 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: OK

Thermospas Concord Genesis- so far, so good.

Sep 11, 2009

Pros:Good customer service
Can upgrade to different options in future
Ease in repair & maintenance

Cons:Very expensive
Says 5 person spa, more like 4 1/2
Filter change is difficult & dirty

The Bottom Line: Buy it if you have the money, but make sure you look at other spas first and compare features.

We were looking for a hot tub to fit on our deck.  None of the local spa/pool dealers were willing to deliver to the deck, just to the driveway. Recieved some information from Thermospa and saw an infomercial.  Reviewed the information and the dvd, which was the infomercial.  Had a salesperson come out and do a "site" survey.  He said they would install it on the deck, but electrical service was our responsibility.  Sounded good to me, but my wife wasn't home, so he said she had to be present so he had to come back if we wanted to go forward.  Discussed it with the wifey and the costs.  We continued to look and wasn't impressed with the quality of what we were seeing.  Sales rep came back out with the wife and he came down in price from $10,000 to $8000.  We demurred at the high price, but he came back with they couldn't do any lower with a "custom designed' spa, but could do a reject or scratch & dent.  We were okay with it, and he came back with a $7000 price.  Our price range, a look of pleasant surprise and shock on our faces (not).

We were actually sold on the lack of foam.  My brother in law has a spa with the encased foam and there are major problems in finding leaks, maintenance and repair.  With the thermospa the insulation is on the outside panels with the interior air space being warmed by the pump and heaters which is more efficient so that was a selling point.  You could also upgrade to the "Thermozone" ozonator which eliminates water changes to once a year, nice but not worth the extra $2000. Maybe when this ozonator fails, which they all do in a few years, the price maybe down and we would replace it with that one.

We bought the rejected hot tub that was in stock.  Well, we get a call from the mfg and they wanted to know how many jets we wanted in the hot tub since that wasn't on the order.  Turns out that all that was sales scam, not unlike vacuum cleaner salesmen.  They have to play those sales scams like auto dealers, too.  "Have to go to the manager and see if he will approve this price." Don't know why they do that, but they do.  Don't mind the haggling, that is expected, but why lie about it?  When we got the tub, looked at the mfg date and it was after the date we purchased it.  So it ended up custom made anyway.  Not unique to Thermospas.

Came a couple weeks after they said it was, but worked out to our advantage, since we  had to remove a handrail on the deck for it to fit.  They didn't have the equipment to lift it up, but got my father in law to come over with his tractor.  The installation people started to hem and haw about how to get it up, when my father in law just got in, lifted the tub and put it on the deck. They were a little shocked but they unwrapped it and took all the material with them. Got it hooked up by an electrician a few days later for about $900.

Put water in it and chemicals, voila, hot tub.  Recieved a call from Thermspas and wanted to know what problems we had if any.  I did notice a small dent in the styrofoam side panels, but no big deal.  She said to send photos and she would take a look at it.  Did it, but they weren't big enough for us to get upset.  A couple of days later, UPS showed up with a corner and a side panel in crates.  Wow!  Didn't expect it, didn't complain, they just sent it.  Great work.

Had some cloudiness problems after a week or so.  Water was too soft, (we have a well with water so hard gravel comes out the faucet w/o the water softner).  Added calcium additive that Thermospa sent us and alkalinity down additive several times because the water is so alkaline.  Finally got it down and the water stays clear.  Have to get the chemistry right and that takes time.

After a year, we have had no pump or leak problems (knock on wood).  The pillows have discolored and one has torn, but those are to be replaced periodically anyway.  No one seems to have made a plastic that will stand up to the chlorine, ozone and MPS that you need to use.

Really hard to say how much more electricity this uses, but I would estimate about $20 a month.  It is extemely difficult to change filters, no real access from the top, after to reach around the side, inside the tub and it gets slime and crud all in the tub every time you remove the filters.  Bad design.  Some thermospas have top access and I would recommend them.

Purchased chemical packages, we use the Thermospas version of the Nature2 system which uses small plastic nodules which you place in the filter basket.  The mfg recommends placing it within each filter, but not recommended by our customer service rep nor by local spa/pool stores because it could restrict water flow.  Placing it in the filter basket works just fine.  Reduces the amount of sanitizers such as chlorine that you need.  If you wait when they go on sale in the spring time and the fall, you can get a discount where their price is similar to other internet providers.  I go to Lowes for the shock and Wal mart for the chlorine.  Only use chlorine, nature 2 or bromine in Thermospas.

The instruction manual and chemical instruction, I thought left a lot to be desired and not well organized.  That has been corrected with a new manual which is downloadable from the company's website.

Chemicals are expensive and you have to change 500 gallons every 3 to 4 months, but that is for all hot tubs. If you have never had one, the real cost is not the actual tub itself but the chemicals and the water.  So plan on $400 a year plus another $400 in electricity and your water costs-1500 to 2000 gallons a year!

In summary, good spa, but very expensive.  Hard to say if it is worth it.   Get as many jets as you can afford, you can never have enough jets.

Good customer service and very helpful.
Can upgrade to different Thermospa options in future.
Ease in repair and maintenance.

Very expensive.
Says 5 person spa, actually more like 4 and half.
Filter change is unnecessarily difficult and dirty.
Benefits in sales material are all based on optional items such as bubbler, thermozone, etc.

For any spa:

Watch those sales people, no matter who the mfg is, have to negotiate for the lowest price while playing their games.
Chemical, electicity and water costs.

ThermoSpas Concord Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Concord Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Concord hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Manhattan Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Manhattan Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Manhattan hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Chesapeake Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Chesapeake Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Chesapeake hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Avalon Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Avalon Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Avalon hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Lexington Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Lexington Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Lexington hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Olympian Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Olympian Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Olympian hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Atlantis Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Atlantis Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Atlantis hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Townhouse Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Townhouse Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Townhouse hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.

ThermoSpas Gemini Replacement Spa Cover

ThermoSpas Gemini Replacement Spa Cover

Brand new, custom-made high-quality hot tub covers built to order for a ThermoSpas Gemini hot tub. 15 colors. Free delivery.