Thule the Stacker Reviews

Thule the Stacker

The Stacker from Thule is my kayak rack

Aug 20, 2008 (Updated Aug 20, 2008)

Pros:Less expensive than other racks, Holds 4 boats, Fairly easy to use

Cons:Can be a bit tough for one person, Lots of strapping

The Bottom Line: If you donít mind a bit of extra work of organizing and strapping the boats down youíll make a good choice with The Stacker

The Stacker from Thule is a good general purpose kayak rack for people who have one or two kayaks. It’s very easy to install on your existing roof rack, is fairly easy to use and overall is a good choice for a kayak rack.

That said, you do have to be a bit more comfortable with loading the boats on the roof of your vehicle and strapping them in than you do with some other kayak racks (the ones where you sort of fit the kayak in and then just tighten it down). If you can get over that, you’ll find, like we did, that The Stacker is a good rack.

Using it on your rack

The Stacker requires that some sort of roof rack be installed on your vehicle before you can use it. This can be a standard factory rack or a Thule rack. Either way, The Stacker can be adjusted to fit on it. All you do it fit The Stacker on the rack and tighten it down with the enclosed screws. Then it’s ready to go.

I originally used it on a Thule rack that I had put on my RAV4. Now that I don't have that vehicle anymore, I use The Stacker on my partner's Subaru Forester's factory rack without any problems.

Basics

The Stacker is really a very simple roof rack attachment that allows you to more easily tie down kayaks. When you purchase it, you get two of the “stacker” units, which are just metal loops. They each have a large, lower loop and then a smaller loop up top. This allows you to wrap the strapping that will hold the kayaks in place around and through the stackers to better secure the boats.

The kayaks themselves rest on either side of the stackers, with the cockpits facing the stacker and each other. The Stacker is advertised to hold up to 4 kayaks, with two on each side of the stackers. I can’t vouch for this since we’ve only ever had 2 on there, but I would imagine, with some extra webbing and straps, it wouldn’t be too hard to get the kayaks up there and secured.

While it’s not as simple as some more expensive kayak racks, The Stacker is easy enough to use that a single person can get their boat up on it and tied down. I know, I’ve done it many times. It might take a bit of finagling, but without too much effort, it’s easy to get the boats up, tied down and ready to go.

Strapping down the boats is a pretty easy affair. The Stacker comes with two of the Thule Load straps along with some other webbing and tie downs so that you can secure the front and back of the boats to your vehicle.

I would suggest getting another set of Thule Load Straps, that way you can use 2 on each boat and you don’t have to try to wrap a single strap all the way around both boats.

Actually tying the boats up there is pretty simple. The Thule Load strap wraps around the boat, through the stacker loops and then is cinched down. As for the rope to hold the front and back of the boat, just loop each piece through the front and back of the boat and then tighten it down with the ratchet device that comes on the ropes. All you have to do is pull to tighten it and then when you are ready to remove it, just release it and you’re good to go.

Does it work?

I’ve used The Stacker for several summers’ worth of kayak trips and I haven’t had a problem with it.

While I can get the boats up and tied down by myself, I do find it is easier to have my partner help me out. With the two of us working on it, I can get the boats on the roof and tied up to The Stacker in less than 10 minutes.

Taking them down is much easier, just loosen and remove the straps and the front and back ropes and then remove the boats.

In transit the boats have always seemed very secure. I haven’t had any problems with the boats moving or coming loose on The Stacker, even on longer trips or when I’ve been driving at higher speeds.

Overall even though it’s not quite as easy as some of the other kayak racks that I’ve seen, I’ve been quite happy with The Stacker. First of all, it cost less than those other racks and it’s been easy to use and worked like it has been advertised. The Stacker has gotten my kayaks to where I wanted to go without too much trouble and that’s exactly what I wanted in a kayak rack.

Final Thoughts

If you are considering a roof rack for your kayaks, you should take a look at The Stacker from Thule. While it’s not for everyone, it is a solid rack that can hold up to 4 kayaks at a time without too much effort.

It’s easy enough for one person to use, doesn’t cost quite as much as other racks and overall, should be a rack that will last for quite some time without much maintenance or effort.

So if you don’t mind a bit of extra work of organizing and strapping the boats down to The Stacker, you’ll have made a good choice if you get it for your kayaks.

Thule Universal Bike Stacker One Color, One Size

Thule Universal Bike Stacker One Color, One Size

With the Thule Universal Bike Stacker, you'll be able to store two bicycles in your apartment or garage. The Bike Stacker is constructed with 1 x 2in ...
Backcountry.com

Thule 830  The Stacker for Kayak

Thule 830 The Stacker for Kayak

The Stacker for Kayak includes two Stacker assemblies (holds up to four boats),folds down flat when not in use,includes one pair of ratcheting tie dow...
Crutchfield

Thule - The Stacker Kayak Roof Carrier

Thule - The Stacker Kayak Roof Carrier

Thule Mounts The Stacker BRAND NEW Great for kayakers who need to haul multiple kayaks. The Stacker is designed with a non-scratch outter coating to p...

Thule - Stacker 830 Kayak Rack, Kayak Carriers

Thule - Stacker 830 Kayak Rack, Kayak Carriers

The Thule Stacker 830 Kayak Rack is the most efficient way to carry multiple kayaks on the roof of virtually any vehicle. The Thule Stacker 830 Kayak ...
Austin Kayak

Thule 830 The Stacker Water Sport Carrier: Universal

Thule 830 The Stacker Water Sport Carrier: Universal

Burkart Automotive Listing Store Home About Us Feedback Add to Favorites New Arrivals Ending Soon Contact Us in titles and description Add my Store to...

Thule Kayak Stacker

Thule Kayak Stacker

The Thule Kayak Stacker offers room to transport 4 whitewater kayaks on their sides to take up the least amount of roof space.
REI

Thule The Stacker Car Rack Kayak Carrier

Thule The Stacker Car Rack Kayak Carrier

Get the most out of your next kayak trip with The Stacker? Roof-Mount Kayak Rack from Thule. With the ability to carry up to 4 kayaks thanks to fold-d...
Peter Glenn Ski & Sport

Thule BSTK2 Bike Stacker - Thule

Thule BSTK2 Bike Stacker - Thule

Free Standing Storage Bike Rack For Your Home, Apartment Or Garage.
Thule - Bike Stacker Storage System BSTK2 - Used, All Other

Thule - Bike Stacker Storage System BSTK2 - Used, All Other

The Thule Bike Stacker Storage System BSTK2 is a free standing storage bike rack for your home, apartment or garage. The two bike hanger arms on the T...
Austin Kayak

Thule BSTK2  Bike Stacker

Thule BSTK2 Bike Stacker

Bike Stacker independently adjust the level and height of arms,soft rubber bike holders protect bikes
Crutchfield