TiVo TCD746500 Receiver Reviews

TiVo TCD746500 Receiver

Free Shipping Home Depot

Not what Tivo used to be

Feb 16, 2012

Pros:Easy to use, HD capability, dual-tuner, Season Pass Manager.

Cons:Sluggish, buggy system which crashes regularly.  Customer service could be better.

The Bottom Line: I enjoy my Tivo Premiere and have learned to tolerate the random crashes.  Maybe newer units have improvements to resolve the issues I have experienced.

I'm a longtime Tivo user since 2000.  I bought this Premiere when it was first released during March 2010 to replace my older Tivo box.  This is my third Tivo and overall experience through the years has been stellar.  I was excited this new Premiere box offered HD and dual tuner.  It does connect to local WiFi, but requires an adapter to do so.  I also like watching NetFlix through the unit, but it is limited to only movies already added to the NetFlix Instant Queue.  I also like the built-in YouTube functionality which makes it easy to search and watch YouTube videos on the big screen.
The SeasonPass Manager is very flexible and easy to setup.  This is my favorite feature and with dual-tuning and more stations becoming competitive during prime time, I can still catch my favorite shows.
While I love the Tivo features and the ease of use, this new box has actually been somewhat disappointing.  My Premiere box crashes and resets itself several times each month while watching or recording shows.  It takes about 3 minutes to reboot and start itself which drives me crazy!  I've never had a Tivo box crash prior to this new model.  The menus can be sluggish as the unit is constantly checking the internet to load thumbnail pictures and program info.  If internet connection goes down, I can't even watch my recorded shows which is insane.  Customer service experience is not anything like it used to be years ago which is also very disappointing.
Tivo recently released a software update for the Premiere box which has improved some of the issues and took better advantage of HD capabilities, but it didn't resolve the sporadic crashing.
Overall, I do like my Tivo Premiere, but the dependability of the product did take a step down.

The TiVo Premiere is a revolutionary DVR that turns your living room into a true media hub. With up to 45 hours of HD recording, this TiVo DVR can rec...

Connects to your cable service and replaces your cable box. Works with HD digital antenna, does not support satellite* Records two shows at once, up t...
Shop for Electrical at The Home Depot. Expand your entertainment horizons. If you love to be entertained, you ll love the new TiVo Premiere 4. With fo...
Home Depot