Tiana Beach Quogue/Hamptons Long Island  Reviews

Tiana Beach Quogue/Hamptons Long Island

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Tiana Beach Quogue/Hamptons Long Island

Jul 27, 2011

Pros:Short walk from lot to beach

Cons:a small climb up the dunes to return to the lot

The Bottom Line:

We enjoyed the beach, the ocean and the scenic views. As I can most every south shore beach on Long Island to date, I also recommend Tiana Beach .

I recently spent a wonderful and relaxing day with dear friends in the Hampton area. We were three couples of whom were catching up on years since our last get-together. One couple who lives in in the area suggested we spend a little time at Tiana Beach. It's off the famous Dune Road and is one of some 14 Southhampton Town beaches. Tiana Beach on the ocean is considered in East Quogue. I knew nothing of the beach except for the fact that it is part of Long Island's south shore barrier beaches. These beaches run for miles and miles keeping the mainland of the island safe from the ravages of the open waters of the Atlantic Ocean. These beaches are much the same in texture of soft white sands stretching east-west with sand dunes helping maintain the barriers. I did know via
USA Travel Tips...

...Tiana Beach

Tiana Beach is located on the long barrier island off of Long Island's southern shores, with Shinnecock Bay to its north and the Atlantic Ocean to its south, From Quogue, beachgoers may take the bridge from Beach Lane, in Westhampton Beach, and head east on the island. Tiana Beach is a popular destination with its pavilion, activity center and recreation facility, located on Dune Road. However, it's also a popular hot spot for wildlife that gathers nearby at the Dune Road Marsh, where mallard ducks, Canada geese and other birds gather to nest and feed, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. For a day of sun, sand and swimming -- and perhaps a little bird-watching -- Tiana Beach is open seven days a week from late June through Labor Day. Required parking passes are available for purchase on site.

pops Experience

There are two bridges that service Dune Road in the area. As we entered the road from the "big" bridge we noticed a sign stating that the road floods at some high tides. We made our way to Tiana Beach and the parking lot.

Our hosts had previously purchased the yearly tag open to Southhampton Town residents. The beach lots are open to out-of town people for a daily fee of $20. On that weekday there was plenty of parking.

I liked the fact that it's a short walk to the beach via a direct walk over dunes. For support, especially coming back up a rope line is available to grab for balance.

The beach is like many of the barrier beaches of the south shores. Life guards are posted in the summer months and restrooms with nearby snack machines loom above the beach. That area is well designed for wheelchairs so even though beach access may not be available, pleasant landing areas are available for enjoining the sun and sights.

I was surprised to see three or four volleyball nets set up on the beach and ready for play. A couple of small pick-up games didn't last long.

I noticed this beach had many families and a few couples here and there. Most were larger family groups who quietly enjoyed the day. Alcohol is not allowed on the beaches though people did bring coolers down oceanfront. I did read that a nearby club does have some revelers that make their way to this beach later in the day.

No grills, benches or such were seen by me. I didn't see any trash cans on the beach. It seems this is a carry on carry out beach. The sand was reasonably clean. No probs.

We brought our chairs, sat in a semi-circle and enjoyed the sun's rays, beach sights and good conversation following an immediate dip in the Atlantic Ocean. The swells here as with the full south shore change from day to day. This day they were small but breaking close to the beach that had a dip. Kids on boogie boards enjoyed rides. I enjoyed a float beyond the breakers.

After a couple-a-few hours sunning and chatting we packed up and made our way up the sand dune. Though it takes a little effort, it's quite doable for most.

As we made our way along Dune Road heading back to our friends place we encountered flooding on the road. We did notice high tide come in while sitting on the beach. It was decided to detour the "big" bridge and instead make way over the bays via the "small bridge. Again we encountered flooding none of which made it any higher than two thirds up our tires.

We enjoyed the scenic views of the area. As I can most every south shore beach on Long Island to date, I also recommend a day at Tiana Beach.