Toblerone Milk Chocolate 35g (1.23 Oz.)

Dangerous Chocolate

Sep 16, 2009 (Updated Sep 16, 2009)

Pros:Smooth, creamy, bits of almond nougat, triangular shapes, and package looks good.

Cons:Dangerous to your weight and political career.

The Bottom Line: Toblerone is one of my favorite chocolate bars, perhaps my favorite. However, I suggest that you buy the smaller 35 gram bar.

I am not a big chocolate connoisseur unlike my wife; however, I do like milk chocolate. There are a few Swedish Chocolate bars that I really love, and I also like Hershey's chocolate with almonds; however, I think Toblerone, which is Swiss chocolate, is probably my favorite. I have been buying it since I was a kid growing up in Sweden and on airports when I travel.

About Toblerone

In 1908 Theodor Tobler and Emil Baumann developed a new milk chocolate which included honey and small chunks of almond nougat. They called it Toblerone which is a combination of Tobler and Torrone which is a type of Italian nougat. The bars are shaped like triangular prisms consisting of connected triangular pieces that look like peaks. They symbolize the Swiss Alps. On the wrapper there is a picture of Matterhorn with a bear hidden in it. Toblerone is made in Bern-Brünnen which is district of Bern in Switzerland.

This 35 gram bar has nine peaks while the more typical 100 gram bar has 12 peaks. Toblerone comes in many sizes (Mini, 35g, 50g, 75g, 100g, 200g, 400g, 750g, 4,500g which is 10 pounds). The ingredients in the common Toblerone bar are Milk Chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, milk, milk chocolate, lactose, milk fat, soy lecithin, and vanillin), sugar, honey, almonds, glucose syrup, and egg white. Since April 2009 Trans Fats have been removed.

Besides the common Toblerone milk chocolate bars there are many other versions of Toblerone including dark and white chocolate bars, editions with white chocolate peaks, filled editions, individually wrapped triangular chunks, pralines, fruit and nut and honey crisp versions, etc.

My opinion and that of my taste buds

For the most part I and my taste buds agree. The chocolate is creamy, smooth, somewhat chewy and quite tasty. The crunchy bits of almond create a consistence and a taste experience which is perfect for satisfying greedy taste buds. The taste is not strong, and not too sweet, it is just perfect for people who love interesting milk chocolate that has something extra too it. I also think that the packaging is pretty which makes it a nice present. I can add that a large bundle of nicely wrapped Toblerone bars in the shape of a hexagonal prism makes a nice present that any woman will both love and hate you for. They sell that at most airports.

If you unlike me need to gain 10 pounds I would suggest that you get the 10 pounds Toblerone bar. This is where I and my taste buds disagree. A typical 100g Toblerone bar has 170 calories, and it is very easy to eat the entire Toblerone bar, or two, or three. That is one reason the title of this review is "Dangerous Chocolate". Therefore I think it is better to buy the smaller 35 gram bar. I have done that many times. They are not as common but I have found them at gas stations, airports, and in many other places, and you can apparently buy them on-line. 35 grams of delicious Swiss chocolate with almond bits is satisfying and has only a third of the calories. The peaks are a little smaller and they melt a little quicker, but seriously you don't really need them to be bigger.

The Great Toblerone Scandal of 1995

Another reason the title of this review is "Dangerous Chocolate" is the great Toblerone Scandal of 1995. I remember it as if it was yesterday. One day I read in the newspaper that Mona Sahlin a leading Social Democratic politician, congress woman (Riksdag), and contender for the prime minister post had bought two bars of Toblerone using her Congressional Credit Card which was only supposed to be used for official business. The scandal that followed dwarfed the Bill Clinton impeachment process and Mona Sahlin was forced to resign her post. I suspect that was not the first time a Toblerone bar had caused a woman (or a man) to do something really stupid.

Final Conclusion

Toblerone is a delicious Swiss chocolate bar and it is perhaps my favorite chocolate bar. However, since Toblerone can be dangerous to your weight I suggest that you buy the smaller 35 gram bar. Since Toblerone can be dangerous to your political career as well; if all you are carrying is a congressional credit card, I also suggest that you always carry some cash. Go ahead and buy it, just don't do anything stupid.

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate - Beige Box: 10 Count

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate - Beige Box: 10 Count

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate - Beige Box
Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate 24x35g Bars

Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate 24x35g Bars

DONT PAY MORE THAN THE MAXIMUM SHIPPING STATED BELOW ON COMBINED SHIPPING WHEN PURCHASING THIS ITEM, U.S. CUSTOMERS ONLY.TOBLERONE SWISS MILK CHOCOLAT...

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Bar 3.5oz: 20 Count

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Bar 3.5oz: 20 Count

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Bar 3.5oz
Toblerone Naughty / Nice Milk Chocolate Bar

Toblerone Naughty / Nice Milk Chocolate Bar

Whether they've been naughty or nice, they'll all love this Toblerone chocolate goodness in a clever package for the holidays.
REI

Toblerone Milk Chocolate Variety Changemaker

Toblerone Milk Chocolate Variety Changemaker

Toblerone Swiss Chocolates Variety Changemaker. Toblerone Swiss Chocolates, with their distinctive triangle shape, is made from the finest ingredients...
The CandyLand Store.com
Toblerone Milk Chocolate Bars 12 Count Bag Bulk Wholesale Vending

Toblerone Milk Chocolate Bars 12 Count Bag Bulk Wholesale Vending

What is This Buy It Now Offer For? Delicious gourmet chocolate triangle prisms with an amazing taste sensation of smooth milk chocolate with honey and...

Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate With Honey And Almond Nougat 14.1-ounce Bars (pa

Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate With Honey And Almond Nougat 14.1-ounce Bars (pa

YAYA Store NEW Toblerone Swiss Milk Chocolate with Honey and Almond Nougat 14.1-Ounce Bars (Pack of 4) $$$ $40.73 $54.95 $ $$$ Item Description Tobler...

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Bar 1.76oz: 20 Count

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Bar 1.76oz: 20 Count

Swiss Milk chocolate infused with honey-almond nougat.
TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Mini Changemaker: 80 Count

TOBLERONE: Milk Chocolate Mini Changemaker: 80 Count

Swiss Milk chocolate infused with honey-almond nougat.