TomTom ONE 125 - USA Automotive Mountable GPS Receiver Reviews

TomTom ONE 125 - USA Automotive Mountable GPS Receiver

6 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Very Good

Tomtom ONE 125 SE

Dec 4, 2009 (Updated Dec 4, 2009)

Pros:Pronounces street names

Gets you where you want to go

Cons:Power cable

No preloaded POIs

The Bottom Line:

If you are on the market for a budget GPS unit and can pick up this model for under $70 you will be pleased.

I bought one of these for $59 at WalMart during their Black Friday sale. At that price this unit is an incredible value, and I am extremely happy with it.

One thing to note is that you should hook it up to your computer before you use it, create a Tomtom account (free), and update the unit with the latest software and map corrections. There is a lot of free downloadable content for this unit, most of it community-generated. You can download lots of free voices, car icons, startup and shutdown images, and custom POI (Points Of Interest) databases.

The SE model even pronounces street names, which is a feature usually found only on more expensive units.

The only cons I can find with the unit are

1. It does not come with preloaded points of interest, you have to load those yourself with your Tomtom account, which could be a hassle for non tech-savvy users.

2. The power cable hooks directly into the unit as opposed to the mount that adheres to the windshield. This means that you have to disconnect the cable every time you remove it from your vehicle.

3. The speaker could be a little louder, although it should prove to be more than adequate for people who are not driving a convertible (or in my case, a ragtop jeep with mud terrain tires).

TomTom ONE 125's distinctive design puts a full-size touchscreen and the power of GPS in a slim, lightweight device. Switch on and go right out of the...