Although I once was a fan of Garmin, recently their quality control has taken a nose dive and I have replaced no less than 6 units in the last two years. I only kept trying them because they had free traffic so I was pleased to find that Tomtom's new units have this feature.
Recommend this product?
But the TomTom falls short in many areas and ironically it has to do with them "simplifying" the interface for moron users which leaves out many functions I took for granted.
1) No turn-by-turn directions!
2) Wont tell you if your destination is on the left or right side of the road.
3) Cant adjust brightness (other than day & night) this is not a small thing for motorcycyle users because this means the battery drains much faster- see:
4) Battery wont hold a full charge (to be fair I have experienced this with Garmin units too).
5) Map is only oriented "north up" which can be confusing.
6) Slow processor- on one occassion I passed a turn before it told me about it.
7) Hints are annoying, they assume you have never used a GPS before. Will even give you a hint for a function you just performed 5 second earlier.
Read all comments (1)