Tootsietoy O Cedar 12 Piece Housekeeping Set

O Cedar Makes My Life Easier -- Tootsietoy O Cedar 12 Pc Housekeeping Set

Aug 16, 2003

Pros:Quality construction, functional, inexpensive, great teaching tool

Cons:None!

The Bottom Line: I recommend this product for either boys or girls. It's a great tool for teaching responsibility, on top of being lots of fun!

Tyler (our 19 month old) loves to clean. He still won’t pick up his toys yet, but the kid loves to sweep, mop, vacuum, and dust. Kind of weird for a little dude, but I’m not complaining – let him go for it! My 13 year old boy is allergic to cleaning in any form, my 6 and 7 year old step-sons won’t make a move without hearing the Barney Cleanup Song (I’d rather pay a stranger good money than hear that), so this unsolicited help is a refreshing change. The problem is Tyler gets hold of my cleaning accoutrements, which are obviously much bigger than he, and cause more harm than good. A broom handle upside the head is definitely not pleasant, and our bird has developed a nervous condition from his cage being whacked so much (poor Englebird).

Tyler squeals from disappointment when we tell him, “no,” or put them away. I hate to quash his janitorial aspirations, but safety is key. I jokingly told my hubby we should get him a kiddie broom. He said, “Yeah, if you can find one that’s not pink,” with that hairy man-ape smirk. All machismo aside, the next time I hit Wal Mart, I went looking for one. I hit pay dirt when I found the Tootsietoy O Cedar 12 Piece Housekeeping Set.

Dad was happy. . . it wasn’t pink.

Description of Contents

The O Cedar 12 Pc. Housekeeping Set has a red and yellow color combination and are co-branded with the O Cedar logo. With the exception of the “spray cleaners,” all pieces are actually fully functional. These toys are pretty much a miniaturized version of O Cedar house cleaning products; lightweight, well-made, and durable.

Contents include:

”Angler” Broom -- This broom is 2 ft from handle top to bristles. The handle is hollow, yellow plastic tubing with a red loop hook at the top for hanging up. The bristles are soft, yellow, and densely populated plastic fibers that tape to an angle, just like the real “Angler” broom. The bristle housing is red molded plastic and bears the O Cedar logo.

Sponge Mop -- The mop is also 2 feet in length, bearing the same color combination and construction as the broom. The sponge is yellow and measures 6 ½” X 1” X ¾”, and is the cheap micro-cell type. Like most sponge mops of this caliber, the sponge is glued to the base and is prone to coming loose. There is also a wringing handle attached to the mop head that snaps to the handle when not in use.

Whisk Brush -- This brush measures 7 ¼” in length, with a red handle and yellow bristles. The bristles are soft, like those on the broom. This is an inline brush, with the handle slightly higher than the brush head. The brush head is an inch wide, 3 ¼” long, and the bristles are 1 ¾” long.

Dust Pan -- The dust pan is all red molded and thick plastic, with the O Cedar logo. The handle measures 3 ¼” and the pan is 5” X 6”, flared out at the end. The deepest part of the pan is almost 1” deep. There is also a plastic ring hinged on the top of the handle, I assume for hanging purposes. The hinge allows the ring to bend to the back of the pan at a 90 degree angle.

Scrub Brush -- The scrub brush follows the same construction – red, angled plastic handle with hanging loop, and yellow bristles. The bristle head of this brush is round, with ¾” bristles.

Bottle Brush -- The bottle brush reminds me of a miniature toilet brush, actually. It is about 7” in length, with a 3” brush. The brush has thinner, shorter bristles, which are bound to a wire and coiled around – like a toilet brush.

Apron -- This is the cheapest part of the set. It’s simply a yellow plastic apron with cloth strings, and bears a humongous O Cedar logo. Tyler won’t wear it, but he loves to string it around his Hokey Pokey Elmo. I guess he thinks that’s funny.

Dust Mitts -- There are two dust mitts, made of thin, yellow terry cloth, and have a simple stretch cloth band for holding them on the hands.

Spray Bottles -- There are also two of these pretend spray bottles. They are 5: tall, and shaped like a real spray bottle, though the molded plastic is all one piece and it doesn’t actually function. These bottles have red, white, and blue labels that say, “All Purpose Glass, Tub, & Tile Cleaner.” I, for one, am glad they don’t actually work. That’s a mess waiting to happen, which kind of defeats the purpose of the set, I think.

Age recommendation: 2 years and up. The only real safety issues are the possibilities of whacking. You, them, your stuff. . . Other than that, it’s a safe set!

Play

Tyler really digs this set . . . “My boom” (broom), and “My mop!” It’s fun to watch him pretend to spray (complete with spraying sound effects) and wipe down everything. And I mean everything from the coffee table to my car. He’s getting quite adept with that broom, whisk brush, and dust pan, too. He actually cleans with it! He sweeps up little piles and brushes the mess into the pan, then empties it into the garbage with a hearty, “YAY!” He wipes everything and everyone with the dust mitts, and tries to find things to clean with the brushes, though their actual use is escaping him right now. He seems proud he is helping and I certainly encourage it. I’d be a fool NOT to!

My Thoughts

The whole macho “girl thing” stigma attached to this type of toy is a bunch of hooey to me. Boys should be encouraged as much as girls to be responsible, respectful and helpful, and I feel this toy is a great way to promote that. Not only are they learning a valuable skill, they get a self-esteem boost from being a real help. When Tyler is cleaning, I always give him great praise, and he feels good about himself. You can tell from the puffed-out chest, smiles, Yays, and hugs that are received in return.

So, if you have a boy or a girl, I highly recommend this product, or any of the other housekeeping sets that Tootsietoy offers. I wonder if I’d have gotten this type of toy for my other boys, if they would be more helpful and responsible than they are today. Time will tell for Tyler, but I think he’s definitely on the right path!

This O Cedar 12 Pc. Housekeeping Set was purchased at Wal Mart for a little over $10, which I consider a real bargain. It’s quite a quality set for the price. If you can’t find this locally, you can go online at Tootsietoy’s web site: www.tootsietoy.com. All of their products have links to sites where you can buy online. Much quicker than searching on your own!

I’m going now to put some cup hooks in the garage at Tyler-level, so he can have a good place to store his new “tools!”

Happy Housekeeping!
Donna

Type of Toy: Other
Age Range of Child: Other

Tootsietoy Vintage- Mr.bubbles Set-5 Wands- Bubble Tray& Bubble Recipie-made Usa

MR. BUBBLES TOOTSIETOY BUBBLE TOY EXTRODINARY 4 PIECE VINTAGE SET BY TOOTSIETOY MADE IN THE USA INCLUDES A 11/4 INCH WIDE BUBBLE TRAY TWO XTRA LARGE W...

Tootsietoy Play Tool Box (h1876)

Tootsietoy Play Tool Box (h1876)

Item Tootsietoy Play Tool Box New Description ThisTootsietoy Play Tool Box New is in Brand New Condition . Box shows some wear Item pictured is the it...

Tootsietoy Vantastic 2200 Die Cast Hippie California Sports Van 1976 Vintage

Tootsietoy Vantastic 2200 Die Cast Hippie California Sports Van 1976 Vintage

Tootsietoy Vantastic California Sports Van 1976 Brand new, never opened, never used. Packaging shows signs of wear from almost 40 years of storage (se...

Tootsietoy 12 1/2 White Rubber Tires 1/16th Axle Hole

Tootsietoy 12 1/2 White Rubber Tires 1/16th Axle Hole

TOOTSIETOY AUCTION FOR 1 DOZEN 1/2 WHITE RUBBER TIRES 1/16TH AXLE HOLE) AIRPLANE PARTS/TIRES AND ITEMS IN STORE

Tootsietoy Ford Tri -motor Airplane Gold Prop

Tootsietoy Ford Tri -motor Airplane Gold Prop

TOOTSIETOY AIRPLANE GOLD PROP FORD TRI - MOTOR AIRPLANE PROP HIGH AND LOW ** WING PLANES AND MORE CHECK OUT OTHER AIRPLANE PARTS/TIRES AND ITEMS IN ST...

Tootsietoy Hard Body 1:43 Scale '32 Ford Hot Rod Show Car C.1988 Strombecker

Tootsietoy Hard Body 1:43 Scale '32 Ford Hot Rod Show Car C.1988 Strombecker

DONALDJR's COOL CLASSIC TOYS Local Pickup Available @ the Yard Birds Mall in Chehalis WA The scale is not mentioned on the blisterpack...Actual scale ...

Tootsietoy 4 1/2vintage Look Rubber Tires 1/16th Axle Hole

Tootsietoy 4 1/2vintage Look Rubber Tires 1/16th Axle Hole

TOOTSIETOY 4 1/2 VINTAGE RUBBER TIRES TIRES ARE FULLY TINTED FOR THE VINTAGE AGED LOOK HARD TO GET A GOOD PIC 1/16TH AXLE HOLE) SEE MORE TOOTIETOY ITE...

O-Cedar Big Easy Flat Sponge Mop Refill

O-Cedar Big Easy Flat Sponge Mop Refill

The O-Cedar Big Easy Flat Sponge Mop Refill is a super-absorbent sponge that fits the O-Cedar Big Easy Sponge Mop for all of your cleaning purposes. T...

Tootsietoy 4 1/2 Aircraft White Rubber Tires 1/16th Axle Hole

Tootsietoy 4 1/2 Aircraft White Rubber Tires 1/16th Axle Hole

TOOTSIETOY 4 1/2 WHITE RUBBER TIRES 1/16TH AXLE HOLE) AIRPLANE PARTS/TIRES AND ITEMS IN STORE

O'Cedar Big Easy Mop Refill 9

O'Cedar Big Easy Mop Refill 9

O'CEDAR BIG EASY MOP REFILL *9 x 3-1/4 x 2 *Cellulose sponge, extra large *For Big Easy mop, Ace no. 1003185 *Bulk