Topps 1984 Darryl Strawberry Rookie Card 879187 Reviews

Topps 1984 Darryl Strawberry Rookie Card 879187

Epinions Product Rating: OK

The Topps 1984 Darryl Strawberry Rookie Card Is The Epitome Of Good Times, Bad Times

Mar 22, 2011

Pros:Nice looking card.

Cons:No value with limited upside. Brings up thoughts of "what might have been"

The Bottom Line:

The Topps 1984 Darryl Strawberry Rookie Card is only for true diehard fans because it's virtually worthless and has an extremely limited upside.

I've just recently begun the momentous task of going through the boxes and boxes of baseball (and, basketball and even hockey) cards in my house. I briefly sifted through them when I bought my house a few years ago. But now it is time to really get down to the nitty gritty and do some cleaning. Sadly, probably 95% of my cards are completely worthless. It's a shame because I really loved collecting them when I was younger. I am hoping to find a few to hold on to just to help remember the good times.

Darryl Strawberry was my favorite player when I was growing up and I made it my quest to actually own every single one of his cards. Now, things were different back in the 1980s. There were basically three companies that produced cards, Topps, Fleer and Donruss. So, it was relatively easy to have every card of a specific player. This started to change in the 90s as more and more companies produced more and more cards. So, it became very challenging to achieve my lofty goals. I did my best and now I'm dreading it as I have literally hundreds of his cards which are basically worthless.

A few of his cards do actually have some value. One of those is the Topps 1984 Darryl Strawberry Rookie Card. I can still remember pulling this card out of a pack and I was so excited. I was a big Mets fan at this time and he was my favorite player. Over the course of the summer of 1984, I accumulated several of these cards for my collection. That trend continued as his popularity increased, not to mention the card value. At its height, the card was valued in the $20 dollar range. As it was the cheapest of his rookie cards, the Fleer and especially the Donruss skewed even higher, I accumulated even more of these over the years.

Not only was Strawberry my favorite player, but the 84 Topps cards were one of my favorites. I liked the dual picture of one large "in action" shot and then the smaller close-up picture of the player. And, with the team name written vertically on the side in team colors, it just made for a sharp looking card. The Strawberry card featured his nearly flawless, not to mention, beautiful swing along with a smiling youngster. It was if he was truly happy playing a kids game.

Now, for those unaware, Strawberry was a very successful player early on in his career. But, after a series of missteps with drugs his career spiraled out of control. Miraculously, he was able to get his life together and after battling cancer he regained some of his success as well as the respect from many fans. Sadly, it all was for not as after retiring from the Yankees, he again fell back into his old ways.

During the course of his career, the value of the Topps 1984 Darryl Strawberry Rookie Card varied dramatically. In 1984, it was a hot card and began the gradual ascension to around $20 at the height of his popularity in the late 80s. However, as his career cooled off, so did the value of his card. It began to drop at that point and slowly descended until finally settling at this point to around the $1 range. Just a quick search on eBay finds that there are no shortages of these cards available for purchase should the mood strike you. However, I can't recommend doing that unless you are a die hard Darryl Strawberry fan. And, if you are (or were) you probably have plenty of these cards already. There is simply no upside to this card and its value has no possibility of increasing.

Note: The picture featured in the listing is actually the 1984 FLEER rookie card of Darryl Strawberry

1992 Darryl Strawberry Starting Lineup Figure-card & Poster

1992 Darryl Strawberry Starting Lineup Figure-card & Poster

STARTING LINEUP NEW, UNOPENED NOTE: PACKAGE HAS SIGNS OF SHELF WEAR DARRYL STRAWBERRY COLLECTOR CARD AND POSTER INCLUDED

1988 Darryl Strawberry/ Starting Lineup/ York Mets/ Original Package Sealed

1988 Darryl Strawberry/ Starting Lineup/ York Mets/ Original Package Sealed

Hello, you are purchasing a 1988 Darryl Strawberry Starting Lineup figure and baseball card in its original package. The package has minor wear, but i...

Mounted Memories Darryl Strawberry New York Mets Autographed The Straw that Stirs Sports I

• This magazine has been personally hand-signed by Darryl Strawberry. • Officially licensed and authenticated by Major League Baseball and comes w...

Mlb Gartlan Darryl Strawberry Mini Porcelain Figurine

Mlb Gartlan Darryl Strawberry Mini Porcelain Figurine

MLB Gartlan Darryl Strawberry Mini Porcelain Figurine in stock!! This Listing is for Gartlan Darryl Strawberry. THIS WOULD BE A GREAT ADDITION TO YOUR...

MLB 12 x 15 in. Darryl Strawberry New York Mets Player Plaque Multicolor - 1215STRAW

Shop for Souvenirs and Fan Gear from Hayneedle.com! Darryl Strawberry is celebrated on a 12 X 15 cherry wood plaque featuring a licensed 8X10 photo, o...
Hayneedle

Los Angeles Dodgers: 1992 Baseball Card Monthly #58 Darryl Strawberry Los Angeles Dodgers NM

New York Met jersey : Darryl Strawberry New York Mets #18 Majestic Cooperstown Collection Throwback Jersey - Royal Blue

365 Day No Hassle Returns! It doesn't matter when they played for the Mets ” every former player holds a special place in your heart. You can't deny ...
Fanatics

New York Mets Darryl Strawberry Autographed 8x10 Photo

New York Mets Darryl Strawberry Autographed 8x10 Photo

Own this 8X10 photograph of Mets great Darryl Strawberry taking a swing at the plate, hand signed by Darryl himself An MLB Authentication Program tam...