Toro Personal Pace CARB Walk Power Mower (20352) Reviews

Toro Personal Pace CARB Walk Power Mower (20352)

Free Shipping Home Depot

Many design & manufacturing flaws

Sep 18, 2009

Pros:Low price
Easy, consistent starting
No priming required for starting

Cons:Handle setup, folding
Gas, oil cap shape & use
Clippings blow through many gaps

The Bottom Line: Skip this model due to flaws in design changes.

I bought this Toro Model 20332 to replace a Toro Model 20073 that I had for several years.  In the first few minutes of use, I found multiple design and manufacturing flaws with the Model 20332 Toro mower.

Upon arrival, the front left wheel was bent right out of the box.

Design flaws - a gap between spring-loaded bagger door and plastic assembly, along with the gaps (plural) between the Bag-On-Demand door and the assembly frame it sits in allowed clippings to blow forward onto deck and engine.  Solved it with a length of duct tape along the top of the door spring gap.  Other gaps found underneath deck - the cover to the side clippings discharge opening has gaps, allowing clippings to blow through then stick out and get stuck.  Gaps between metal deflector shield welded to top of blade deck had the same problem.

Handle design is flawed.  Model 20073 required pressing bars of handle together at the bottom to pull handle over a metal stop to fold handle; it only took 5 seconds.  Model 20332 has plastic knobs which are hard to turn.  You have to unscrew the knobs almost completely then pull the handle forward to fold it, which is much more difficult and takes considerably more time.  Handle setup out of the box was extremely difficult for one person, requiring the entire handle assembly to be held in place while screws were threaded through handle holes on each side.

Gas cap has been moved to the right-hand side.  The gas cap has smooth edges and no support tab for turning, unlike previous model with grooved edges, and cap is too close to the top mower cover, making opening and closing more difficult.  Oil cap is difficult to close as well.  Dipstick had no markings on it for oil level, despite the description in the operator's manual.

It did start the first time and on the first pull, and on subsequent starts.  There's no need to prime the Briggs & Stratton engine as on the Tecumseh engine.  Not happy that air filter changes now require a tool to open and close the air filter cover.  A thumbscrew or latch for this would have been a wiser design.

The bag that the manual and other materials came in is a thin, yellow door hanger bag, as opposed to the clear, thicker, velco-fastened bag from the previous model.

I was disappointed with the changes in this model.  I will not buy a Toro again, and I wouldn't recommend this model.

Shop for Outdoor Power Equipment at The Home Depot. With the Personal Pace system that matches your walking speed and a 3-in-1 mowing system, the Toro...
Home Depot