Toshiba 750 GB,External,5400 RPM (E05A075PBU2XK) Hard Drive Reviews

Toshiba 750 GB,External,5400 RPM (E05A075PBU2XK) Hard Drive

Excellent Product for the Price

Feb 26, 2011 (Updated Nov 9, 2012)

Pros:Affordable Price
Durable
Light Weight
Portable
Easy to Use

Cons:The mini-USB port, and jack needs to be unplugged when transporting. Easy to damage.

The Bottom Line: This product is an excellent buy. It serves the purpose, and is affordable. It's also an excellent alternative to bulky, overpriced Western Digital hard drives.

The Toshiba Canvio (E05A075PBU2XK) 750 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive has to be the best investment I’ve made within the last two years for my computer and files. I used to have to put files and such on DVD data disks. While cheap and easy, disks damage easily. I needed something that wasn’t too expensive, wasn’t Western Digital, and that I could move from computer to computer quickly and easily. I did pay a little more than I normally would for any hard drive with this one ($79.99), but I had it on good authority that this was a solid, durable drive. (My wife is hard on computers and peripherals.) She got me one as a gift for Christmas.

Users will be able to quickly plug this hard drive in, and in seconds start backing up all their valuable files. (The hard drive is easy to use. So far I've plugged it into over two dozen computers, and it's worked with them - even older USB 1.0 computers with Windows 98.) I have about 400 GB's worth of system files, drivers and programs loaded on it so that I can quickly repair or load utilities onto any of the 10 computers on my home network, or the computers of my clients. It has been a life saver on many occasions. I have satellite internet so downloading programs and files every time I setup a new system, or have to format and reinstall the OS on older ones, is a problem. Before I had this I had to try and put everything on flash drives or disks. The problem was remembering which flash drive or disk the files I needed were.

The hard drive is easy to use. Simply copy/paste, or drag and drop the files you want to back up or store. Depending on the size of the files it could take a while to transfer, but that's true of any hard drive. The speed, I've found, depends more on the host computer than on the hard drive – the hard drive itself is 5400 RPM. On a modern (2.5GHz or better processor) system you’ll get the full 60MBps USB 2.0 boasts. On my old 1.73GHz laptop I get more like 35 to 40MBps.

I did get rid of the Toshiba files preloaded on the drive. To be honest, I’ve never had any faith in any preloaded software on hard drives. Preformatted is fine.

Did I mention durable? In two years I've owned this hard drive, I've dropped it a few times. Once was from about seven feet on a marble floor. In the past, I've lost hard drive function on external drives with a drop of three feet on thick carpet. This hard drive just keeps going without a problem. It’s got hard plastic all the way around and a rubber bumper around the edges. I don’t advise dropping it onto hard (or even soft) surfaces just to test it. The demon Murphy still lives and breathes in all things.

The Toshiba 750 GB external USB hard drive is a great for storing my media files (movies, music, pictures) while leaving plenty of space for other uses. The average movie file made by users is 700 MB or less. This means that I could store a thousand movies or more on my Toshiba drive. Along with all the system files, drivers and programs I loaded on this drive I also have over 200 home movies in .avi, .mp4, and .mkv format. Even with all of that I still have a little under 300 GB left to play with.

The only problem users may run into with the Toshiba 750 GB external USB hard drive is with the mini-USB plug. The wire should be unplugged from the hard drive every time it is transported. While not common, failure to do so can result in damage to the mini-USB port on the unit. Trust me; you don't want to have to get a company to extract data from a damaged hard drive. Even if it takes them fifteen minutes to extract all the data, you're going to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars. It's a good idea for you to have a file recovery utility. There are several free programs for this online. I've used Zero Assumption File Recovery, Recuva, and PC Inspector File Recovery. (These programs will also locate recently deleted files if you accidentally delete something important to you.

Can I stress durability enough? I have at least four other external hard drives that have died because of falls, overheating, or just plain being defective/cheap. This drive doesn’t get hot, and it’s way beyond being cheap/defective garbage like a WD MyBook.

Conclusion

All in all, the Toshiba 750 GB external USB hard drive is the answer for anyone who needs a lot of storage space without all the problems of Western Digital hard drives, while still being affordable. I also own a 500GB and 1TB Toshiba Canvio external hard drive. None have failed me, and the 750 GB (the first one I owned) has outlasted several internal hard drives I’ve had in recent years.

Toshiba Canvio 500gb External Portable Hard Drive Usb 3.0 5400 Rpm Hdtc605xk3a1

Toshiba Canvio 500gb External Portable Hard Drive Usb 3.0 5400 Rpm Hdtc605xk3a1

Ultra-slim and compact, the Toshiba Canvio is a 5,400 rpm hard drive that is easy to carry along. You can save adequate amounts of data on this Toshib...

Toshiba Hdtb107xk3aa Canvio 750 Gb Usb 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive - (black)

Toshiba Hdtb107xk3aa Canvio 750 Gb Usb 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive - (black)

Toshiba HDTB107XK3AA Canvio 750 GB USB 3.0 Basics Portable Hard Drive - (Black)Canvio Basics 3.0 products have been designed and manufactured in accor...

Toshiba Canvio 500gb Usb 3.0 Hard Drive, Black Hdtc605xk3a1

Toshiba Canvio 500gb Usb 3.0 Hard Drive, Black Hdtc605xk3a1

1.888.209.5772 About me Contact Us Shipping Payments FAQ Toshiba Canvio 500GB Portable Hard Drive, 8MB Buffer Memory, USB 3.0, Black SKU: TOHD500BB Mf...

TOSHIBA HDD2J53 500gb-5400rpm Notebook Drives Hard Drives

TOSHIBA HDD2J53 500gb-5400rpm Notebook Drives Hard Drives

TOSHIBA - 500GB 5400RPM 8MB BUFFER SATA-II 2.5INCH NOTEBOOK DRIVE (HDD2J53). . IN STOCK.
Server Supply

Toshiba Canvio 500gb Usb 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Hdtc605xk3a1 (black)

Toshiba Canvio 500gb Usb 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Hdtc605xk3a1 (black)

Toshiba Canvio Basics 750 Gb Hdtb107xk3aa Portable Hard Drive Usb 2.0 & 3.0

Toshiba Canvio Basics 750 Gb Hdtb107xk3aa Portable Hard Drive Usb 2.0 & 3.0

Brand new in box, authentic, and factory sealed Toshiba Canvio Basics 3.0, 750 GB USB 3.0 2.0 Portable Hard Drive.- Plug and play operation - Drag and...

TOSHIBA HDD2J51 750gb - 5400rpm Notebook Drives Hard Drives

TOSHIBA HDD2J51 750gb - 5400rpm Notebook Drives Hard Drives

TOSHIBA - 750GB 5400RPM 8MB BUFFER 2.5INCH SATA-II NOTEBOOK DRIVE (HDD2J51). NEW FACTORY SEALED. IN STOCK.
Server Supply

Toshiba E05a050cau3xw 500 Gb Canvio Black W/ White Accents 3.0 Usb External Hard

Carry your data along, wherever you go with the compact and anti-slip Toshiba CANVIO E05A050CAU3XW hard drive. Transfer your files at a blazing speed ...

Toshiba HDTD205XK3D1 500GB Canvio Slim II Portable External Hard Drive for PCs - Black

Toshiba Canvio Slim II Portable External Hard Drive is ideal for taking your storage on the go. This drive offers high capacity storage in a slim and ...
MacMall