Totino's Pepperoni Pizza Rolls Frozen Food 7.5oz

Your Taste Buds Will Thank You! "Totino's Pizza Rolls": The Tiny, Tangy, Tasty Treat.

Oct 31, 2007

Pros:A quick snack, variety of flavors, pizza without the mess.

Cons:Can be expensive if not on sale.

The Bottom Line: Enjoy pizza without having to tip the delivery driver!

I was most reluctant to try Totino’s Pizza Rolls. I’d never had much luck with these types of finger foods in the past and I didn’t want to end up with a huge bag of them in the freezer waiting for Freezeus, The God of Freezer Burn, to come and claim them.. That’s before I learned that you can buy them in 15 count boxes, that amount I could deal with. The brood are always sniffing around for some type of snack so I like to have stuff around that they can make themselves or at the very least, not burn the house down trying to cook them. These can be cooked in the oven, microwave or toaster oven and come out tasting great but don’t ignore the warning on the package that states, “filling will be very HOT”, they aren’t lying about that. I won’t say that these are the most nutritious things on the planet but there are far worse things that they could be snacking on.

Totino’s Pizza Rolls

You can pick these up in three flavors; Cheese, Pepperoni and Combination [sausage, pepperoni and cheese]. There’s the mega gut buster 72 count bag or the tiny little 15 count box and I think there’s a size in between there. Someone said that they have a Sausage [only] one but I’ve never seen them or caught a mention of it on the website so I think they saw the Combination ones and got a little confused. For those concerned with food allergies, this contains wheat, milk and soy products and as you might have guessed, isn’t vegan friendly. When I was reading the ingredients words like "rehydrated enzyme modified cheese" and "rehydrated pasteurized process nonfat mozzarella cheese" really jumped out at me. In fact, when you read over the label for the Cheese pizza rolls there is a hell of a lot of different cheeses in it. Something tells me I would be better off not reading what’s in these or I might not buy them any more. If you want to satisfy a craving for pizza but don’t want to have to order one or make a huge frozen one, these little nuggets are a great pick.

Cooking Them Up

As I said, these can be cooked in the oven, microwave or toaster oven but you will get the best results in the toaster oven. If you cook them in the microwave they tend to sink in and not look all that great but after all, they are for eating, not admiring. To microwave them I pop them in for 63 seconds [yes, I have it down to a science] then flip them over and cook them for another 63 seconds. They come out hot but cool off in a few minutes. In the toaster oven, I set it to 350 degrees and let them bake for six minutes then flip them and let them cook another three minutes. You have to let these cool off before you try and eat them or you will burn your mouth and throat. The oven is pretty much the same routine but they take a few extra minutes to cook. The over is the best way to go if you are making more than one box at a time. There’s no way to tell them apart once you have taken them out of the box so if you have picky eaters, keep them divided if you are making more than one kind of pizza roll.

Nutritional Values

These values are per serving which consists of six rolls. I am using the cheese variety as an example here so the Pepperoni and Combination ones may contain a few more calories or milligrams of sodium. Additionally, each serving gives you 10% of the RDA of calcium and 8% of the RDA of iron.

Calories: 190
Sugar: 4 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Sodium: 480 mg

Price

If you are a coupon shopper you will appreciate this one. These were recently on sale for $1.00 a box and there were coupons in a NASCAR insert for $1.00 off two boxes or bags. That dropped the price to .50 cents a box. Now, it gets even better. There is a rebate offer for $5.00 when you buy ten of any Totino’s Pizzas or Pizza Rolls, frozen Pillsbury products or frozen Green Giant products. So I bought ten of them, used the coupons and ended up paying $5.00 for them. Then I cut out the UPC codes, attached the register receipt and filled out the form to get $5.00 back so I got them for free [minus the postage]. Normally these cost anywhere from $1.35 to $1.75 depending on the type of store you shop in but I wait until they are on sale. The rebate that I mentioned is valid through 08/31/06 so you have plenty of time to qualify for it. You can purchase the larger sized bags of these but unless they are on sale or you have a coupon, buying them in the 15 count boxes is the most cost efficient way to go.

Things To Know

• Like almost all the other General Mills products [sales division], this has a .10 cent coupon for Boxtops For Education. You simply clip it out, send it in to school with your child and their school can use them to buy supplies, internet access or anything that they may need. For more information on getting your school signed up with this program, visit their official site at: www.boxtops4education.com.

• The isn’t an expiration date or "best by" date on the boxes, this may be different for the bagged pizza rolls. There is however a Product Identification Panel on the bottom with a toll free number that you can call if you have any problems with the product. You can also visit the website at www.pillsbury.com.

The Bottom Line

The brood usually microwave theirs, they don’t want to stand in front of the toaster oven and ‘wait’ for them to cook. It’s something that they can make on their own if I am busy or out of the house and I know they aren’t going to go overboard and make five boxes at a time. Maybe my offspring are different from other hatchlings, they will only eat about five or six of them and they are satisfied. I know that they’ve made them because there will always be a few waiting on a plate for me along with the Boxtops For Education coupon, UPC code and a note letting me know which flavor they made. Ahh, I’ve trained them so well. These aren’t something that I eat often but when I am having a craving for pizza, this is a lot less dangerous than having to order and eight cut and have it crying out my name.

As always, thanks for the read!

~^V^~ Freak ~^V^~