-38%
Traditional Medicinals Tea Everyday Detox 16 Bags Reviews

Traditional Medicinals Tea Everyday Detox 16 Bags

+$5.95 shipping LuckyVitamin.com

Traditional Medicinals Everday Detox is Bearable, for the Benefits

Jul 16, 2008 (Updated Jul 18, 2008)

Pros:Taste is bearable, 30% organic

Cons:Long brew time, price, box lasts approx a week

The Bottom Line: This is a good quality detox tea that is drinkable (not unbearable!). A bit pricey but good if you're looking for a week of detox.

After having my first child, I've been thinking a little bit more about things like detox. I have a pretty healthy lifestyle but I haven't been able to ditch all unhealthy things, so once in a while I think about purging my body of any pollutants I can. After a brief chat with an employee at the health food store, although pills were more effective, I didn't want to deal with a true regimen of taking pills and drinking half my weight in water daily for a week. So tea it was!

"EveryDay Detox® promotes healthy liver function.* It also helps digest fats and promotes digestion by aiding in the manufacture of bile.* EveryDay Detox® is based on a Traditional Chinese Medicine formula to benefit and nourish liver and kidney functions, organs that play important roles in detoxifying your body. Gynostemma, schisandra and lycium have shown significant antioxidant and liver detoxification activity.* EveryDay Detox® can be used daily because it does not contain any harsh laxative or purgative herbs. We wish you good health!"

Everyday Detox

I usually buy this brand of tea at the health food store, since they can be hard to find in the grocery store (at least in limited selection). I bought this box of 16 tea bags for about $5.29. Each tea bag is individually wrapped and comes with a string and a tag.

Ingredients
Schisandra fruit, Lycium fruit, Organic schisandra fruit.
Proprietary blend of Gymnostemma herb, organic ginger rhizome, licorice root, Organic kukicha twig, Organic black pepper fruit.
30% organic ingredients.

My Thoughts

"For maximum benefit, medicinal tea must be properly prepared. Pour 8 oz freshly boiled water over a tea bag in a cup. Cover cup & steep 10-15 minutes. These steps directly influence the amount of beneficial components that will end up in your teacup! Gently squeeze the tea bag to release any remaining extract. Drink 2-3 cups daily. To enhance benefits, add fresh lemon juice to taste."

Unless a tea gets bitter, I generally leave tea bags in the cup, and since I spend my mornings running around after my baby girl, this tea is left to brew for the full 10-15 (and often more). If it's not in my stainless steel mug, it usually requires a reheating somewhere along the way.

This tea brews an amber color. The aroma has a gingery, peppery scent, with other scents mixed in.

I wasn't expecting much from the flavor, since detox teas can often be unbearable (or other blends with medicinal uses). I find that this tea isn't the most pleasant flavor - I certainly without a doubt would not choose to drink a tea that tastes like this. However, the taste is drinkable and I don't gag or shudder (really bad teas honestly make me shudder). I do have to warn though, if you leave the tea bag in the cup a really long time and drink an overbrewed, cold version of this tea, it is more or less unbearable. I left a bag in a cup all day (I had forgotten about it), but made myself drink it, considering the price of each tea bag, and it was tough to get down. I suppose the biggest thing is that it gets pretty spicy.

Brewed the recommended length of time, this tea definitely has a spicy zing to it. Since the ginger and pepper taste and aroma stand out the most to me, I would also assume that is where the "zing" comes from as well.

This does leave a little aftertaste. I would probably describe it mostly as a licorice taste.

Results?

Well, I can't really attest to any kind of results. I don't have any health problems, so I can't say that I had any issues that cleared up.

As a result of drinking the tea, I had no physical effects - I didn't feel sick, I didn't have any "bathroom issues"... nothing.

I also don't know that much about detox, nor have I stuck to the 3-cups-a-day regimin (more like 1-2). But from the ingredients and Traditional Medicinal's quality of ingredients, I would guess this is more effective than some other brands (like Celestial Seasonings). If anyone has any thoughts on this, please let me know! I've tried Googling the efficacy of detox teas, to no avail...

Overall

I wouldn't say this tea tastes good, but it is certainly drinkable if you are looking for some detoxing. Although this is a good quality tea, the price adds up if you drink 3 cups a day, meaning a box will last you only a week.

Traditional Medicinals: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/

Traditional Medicinals - EveryDay Detox Tea - Promotes Healthy Liver Function - 16 Tea Bags Traditional Medicinals EveryDay Detox Tea promotes healthy...
LuckyVitamin.com

Traditional Medicinals Everyday Detox Herbal Tea Directions For maximum benefit medicinal tea must be properly prepared. Pour 8 oz. freshly boiled wat...
Promotes Healthy Liver FunctionHerbal Dietary SupplementEveryDay Detox promotes healthy liver function. It also helps digest fats and promotes digesti...
EveryDay Detox Tea 6 x 16 Tea Bags From Traditional Medicinals