Trapiche 2010 750ml Shiraz / Syrah Red Wine Reviews

Trapiche 2010 750ml Shiraz / Syrah Red Wine

1 consumer review

I Heart Bargain Wines

Dec 11, 2008

Pros:VERY inexpensive, tasty

Cons:Not exactly prime Malbec

The Bottom Line: Although this may not be a phenomenal Malbec, it's a really good bottle of wine at a really attractive price.

It’s the holidays so every penny really counts. I bit a bullet last week when, after a particularly taxing day, I only had about $8 to buy the bottle of wine I had been looking forward to all day, and unfortunately none of my normal bargain bottles were available at the store I stopped into. I reluctantly made my way to their “cheapie” section, and recognized most of the offerings as not even worth the $6 they were priced at. Then I saw the Trapiche Malbec, from Mendoza, Argentina, stickered 2 for $14. I had tried the Torrontes varietal of this producer before, and although that particular varietal isn’t one of my favorites I did find the wine impressive for $8. I combined that knowledge with the fact that I had yet to taste a Malbec that I disliked (although I definitely like some better than others), took a deep breath, and brought the bottle to the register.

As indicated on the product name in this database, this is their “Estate”, or entry level, wine. Trapiche actually produces a few levels of wines. The label was purple and white, and fairly simple, with a bird flying over a mountain, and the bottle was Bordeaux shaped and dark brown. It’s 100% Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina and has 13.5% alcohol by volume. I didn’t let the synthetic cork rattle me as I opened the bottle and poured myself a glass.

It poured deep colored but almost purple, with some bright blueberries and plum on the nose. This indication towards sweeter fruits (as opposed to black cherry and blackberry) was a bit discouraging, I admit. I tend to enjoy Malbec for the supple, soft but full dark fruits, with a hint of oak. After a sip, my nerves were quelled. It has the classic full body, with a little vanilla laced around the full fruit, yet didn’t taste heavy. The was only a bit of oak to balance the fruit; the finish was a bit more acidic than many Malbec wines I have had in the past, but in general it was fairly soft. The fruit was also a little bright for a Malbec as well, but setting varietal expectations aside, this was a really good bottle of wine at an excellent price.

I sip this wine often on its own, but it goes nicely with red meats, pasta with red sauce, and cheeses-especially hard, flavorful ones like manchego or pecorino.

Trapiche
isn’t my favorite Malbec, but has easily become my favorite “cheap” wine. At $7 a bottle I wasn’t expecting much, was very impressed with what was offered. I’ll buy it again when my pennies are pinching!

Other inexpensive wine I enjoy when watching my dime include:
El Portillo Malbec

County or Appellation: Mendoza
Price: 7.00
Wine Rating Scale: Better than most

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 2012 750ml

Enjoy this wine from Cuyo Mendoza produced by Trapiche and is a Argentinian Still Wine 2012 vintage that is 750ml.
WineChateau.com

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 2012 750ml

This wine is from Argentina, Cuyo region, Mendoza sub-region. MALBEC Wine Argentinian Still Wine
Shop Rite Wines & Spirits

International Wine Shop
2011 Mollydooker Shiraz Velvet Glove Syrah Wine 750 ML Red Wine

2011 Mollydooker Shiraz Velvet Glove Syrah Wine 750 ML Red Wine

Rich supple complex and expressive this is dense with smoky blackberry wild blueberry tomato leaf and exotic spice complexity finishing seamless...
JJ Buckley Fine Wines

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 750ml

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 750ml

Grand Wine Cellar

Trapiche Syrah Oak Cask 2011 750ml

This wine is from Argentina, Cuyo region, Mendoza sub-region. SYRAH Wine Argentinian Still Wine
Elephant Discount Wine & Liquor
2009 Mitolo Shiraz GAM Syrah Wine 750 ML Red Wine

2009 Mitolo Shiraz GAM Syrah Wine 750 ML Red Wine

A full-bodied very ripe rendering of Shiraz Mitolo’s 2009 G.A.M. offers hints of raisined fruit to go with its notes of coffee smoke roasted mea...
JJ Buckley Fine Wines

Trapiche Syrah 750ml

Trapiche Syrah 750ml

Grand Wine Cellar

Trapiche Syrah Oak Cask 2011 750ml

Enjoy this wine from Cuyo Mendoza produced by Trapiche and is a Argentinian Still Wine 2011 vintage that is 750ml.
WineChateau.com