Trapiche 2010 750ml Shiraz / Syrah Red Wine Reviews

Trapiche 2010 750ml Shiraz / Syrah Red Wine

I Heart Bargain Wines

Dec 11, 2008

Pros:VERY inexpensive, tasty

Cons:Not exactly prime Malbec

The Bottom Line: Although this may not be a phenomenal Malbec, it's a really good bottle of wine at a really attractive price.

It’s the holidays so every penny really counts. I bit a bullet last week when, after a particularly taxing day, I only had about $8 to buy the bottle of wine I had been looking forward to all day, and unfortunately none of my normal bargain bottles were available at the store I stopped into. I reluctantly made my way to their “cheapie” section, and recognized most of the offerings as not even worth the $6 they were priced at. Then I saw the Trapiche Malbec, from Mendoza, Argentina, stickered 2 for $14. I had tried the Torrontes varietal of this producer before, and although that particular varietal isn’t one of my favorites I did find the wine impressive for $8. I combined that knowledge with the fact that I had yet to taste a Malbec that I disliked (although I definitely like some better than others), took a deep breath, and brought the bottle to the register.

As indicated on the product name in this database, this is their “Estate”, or entry level, wine. Trapiche actually produces a few levels of wines. The label was purple and white, and fairly simple, with a bird flying over a mountain, and the bottle was Bordeaux shaped and dark brown. It’s 100% Malbec from Mendoza, Argentina and has 13.5% alcohol by volume. I didn’t let the synthetic cork rattle me as I opened the bottle and poured myself a glass.

It poured deep colored but almost purple, with some bright blueberries and plum on the nose. This indication towards sweeter fruits (as opposed to black cherry and blackberry) was a bit discouraging, I admit. I tend to enjoy Malbec for the supple, soft but full dark fruits, with a hint of oak. After a sip, my nerves were quelled. It has the classic full body, with a little vanilla laced around the full fruit, yet didn’t taste heavy. The was only a bit of oak to balance the fruit; the finish was a bit more acidic than many Malbec wines I have had in the past, but in general it was fairly soft. The fruit was also a little bright for a Malbec as well, but setting varietal expectations aside, this was a really good bottle of wine at an excellent price.

I sip this wine often on its own, but it goes nicely with red meats, pasta with red sauce, and cheeses-especially hard, flavorful ones like manchego or pecorino.

Trapiche
isn’t my favorite Malbec, but has easily become my favorite “cheap” wine. At $7 a bottle I wasn’t expecting much, was very impressed with what was offered. I’ll buy it again when my pennies are pinching!

Other inexpensive wine I enjoy when watching my dime include:
El Portillo Malbec

Price: 7.00
Wine Rating Scale: Better than most

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 2012 750ml

Trapiche Malbec Oak Cask 2012 750ml

This wine is from Argentina, Cuyo region, Mendoza sub-region. MALBEC Wine Argentinian Still Wine
Mitolo - 2009 Shiraz GAM Syrah Wine, red Wine

Mitolo - 2009 Shiraz GAM Syrah Wine, red Wine

A full-bodied very ripe rendering of Shiraz Mitolo
JJ Buckley Fine Wines

Trapiche Syrah Oak Cask 2011 750ml

Trapiche Syrah Oak Cask 2011 750ml

This wine is from Argentina, Cuyo region, Mendoza sub-region. SYRAH Wine Argentinian Still Wine
Mollydooker Shiraz The Boxer 2013 750ml

Mollydooker Shiraz The Boxer 2013 750ml

This wine is from Australia, South Australia region, Fleurieu sub-region and Mclaren Vale appellation. SYRAH Wine Australian Still Wine
International Wine Shop
Black Opal Shiraz 2011 750ml

Black Opal Shiraz 2011 750ml

This wine is from Australia, South Eastern Australia region. SYRAH Wine Australian Still Wine
Yalumba - 2006 The Octavius (Shiraz Old Vine) Syrah Wine, red Wine

Yalumba - 2006 The Octavius (Shiraz Old Vine) Syrah Wine, red Wine

Black plum and black fig flavors sweeten this shiraz which aged in small oak octaves Wine & Spirits. Rich in flavor and generous in style this is well...
JJ Buckley Fine Wines