S&S Worldwide SL8748

Delightful Color and Movement in the Garden - Triple Wind Spinner

Jun 8, 2010 (Updated Dec 7, 2010)

Pros:well made wind spinners, rainbow colors, easy to assemble

Cons:won't last forever

The Bottom Line: Fun wind spinners for the yard.  Please read my important assembly tip for these Triple Wind Spinners. -- Update at the end of the review.

Our family enjoys a touch of whimsy in the yard.  One of our yard decorations is this Triple Wind Spinner.

Description

This wind spinner has three circular nylon pinwheels mounted to a 30" plastic pole.  The pinwheels are in three different sizes - 10", 12", 16" -  (the smallest at the front, the largest at the back).  Each wheel is constructed from different colored nylon strips that are attached to a ring.  The colors of the strips are: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.  The plastic pole is like a stick, and has a pointed end that sticks in the ground.

Some assembly is required.  The pieces come in a clear plastic bag with one sheet of instructions.  There is only an illustration on the instructions (no words), but assembly is straightforward.

Assembly

The package includes: two poles that connect together, three wheels, two spacers, and a black plastic nubbin that holds everything in place.

It took just a few minutes to assemble the wind spinner.

The top pole is shaped like the letter "7".  The spinner wheels attach to the top horizontal part of the "7".  First slide the 16" wheel onto the pole, then a black plastic spacer, then the 12" wheel.  Add another spacer, and slide the 10" wheel onto the pole.  The black plastic nubbin fits at the end of the pole, holding all the pieces in position.  Once the top section has been assembled, slide the pole into the second pole to complete assembly.

From past experience, I know that the black plastic nubbin will eventually come off the pole.  When that happens, the small piece can easily become lost in the lawn.  So as a preventative measure, I added one drop of glue inside the hole on the nubbin that attaches to the pole.  I used glue designed to work with plastic.  Make sure to only use one drop, and that the glue only touches the nubbin and pole.  You don't want to accidentally glue any spinning parts.

Our Experiences

We love these bright, colorful spinners.  Two of these graced our yard for several years before the sun bleached the nylon.  With enough weather and wind, the nylon will eventually begin to fray (but not for a few years in our area).

Since the family enjoyed those spinners so much, I bought two more of them earlier this year.  These spinners are big, so you will need an area where you feel comfortable placing them.  I have one located in the front yard at the edge of a large flower bed.  The other one is in the backyard in the vegetable garden.

The manufacturer stated that the wheels spin the "slightest breeze".  Not quite.  A breeze will not produce much spinning action.  The smaller wheel will turn before the larger ones.  However, get some nice wind, and the spinners twirl like crazy.

I was hoping that placing one of the spinners in the vegetable garden might scare away birds and wildlife.  I'm fortunate that the animals pretty much leave the garden alone.  Or they visit it but don't stop to nibble.  The other day I saw a rabbit sitting near the spinner, and it didn't pay any attention to it.

Our family likes these spinners.  They add a bright touch to the yard, and it's always fun seeing them twirl in a rainbow blur.

Purchasing

I bought these spinners online from S&S Worldwide for $7.99 each.

Summary

These Triple Wind Spinners are constructed well, and we enjoy the dash of color and movement in our yard.  Children smile when they see them, too.  I would buy them again.

Update -- December 7, 2010

We still love these wind spinners.  However, two of them broke in the exact same spot on the pole during an end-of-season wind storm.  Maybe I can figure out a way to jury rig them in the spring.  Because of the breakage in the same spot on both spinners, I am reducing my rating to average.  Despite the breakage, we still love the look of these spinners.

I hope you found this review useful.

Enjoy the day,
Dawn

Please read my other reviews:

Swan Soft & Supple Garden Hose

Swan Tuff & Flexible Water Hose

Apex Leader Hose (for hose reels)

Easy-Reach Hose Reel Cart