Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower (Troy) (13AN77KS011) Reviews

Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower (Troy) (13AN77KS011)

Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower (Troy)... Plain and Simple riding mower for you.

Aug 16, 2010 (Updated Sep 4, 2010)

Pros:Basic mower for your basic home. No extra's on this mower.

Cons:They could at least included the mulcher. Mtd/Troy-Bilt are nickel and diming now.

The Bottom Line: No bells or whistles here unless you attach them to the mower. You can add deck wheels if you like.

Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower

You know there is such a great difference in riding zero turns than regular riding mowers. Thank you Lord for the hydraulic pumps. I was asked by my Pastor a few weeks ago if I could give this church member a helping hand for the rest of the year since her grandson was shipped out overseas to Afghanistan. I said sure and I know her property since she leaves right up the road from me. When I got there we chit chatted a bit and then she handed me the keys to the shed.

As soon as I open the door this red and with red/pink detailing Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower was sitting there. This machine was bought last fall and her grandson took excellent care of all her equipment. I rubbed the cover and it felt like it had wax on it. Any way I lifted the front cab up and saw that the gas was almost empty. So I filled the 1.5 gallon tank and checked the oil and it was fine, so I finished all the prep work and sat in the seat. The spring loaded low back seat has been a standard for Troy-Bilt and MTD for many years it is cushion seat that contours to your upper thighs and butt. Starting the mower was easy, but I had to put ear muffs on since this is a single cylinder engine they are nosey.

Shift on the Fly means no more clutching to put it in a faster gear. The only thing I hate about it is that it jerks a little when changing speeds. Top speed is 5 miles and hour on normal flat land, but when you have 495 pounds going downhill it is a tad faster. Riding her inclined land at the front of the property was fairly easy with this mower, but always remember to shift your body totally the opposite to even the balance out. There is a PTO handle to pull when you want to start your blades, but if you need to go into reverse you need to push it in because there's a kill switch for the deck so this machine doesn't mow in reverse. There are no luxuries on this mower except for a cup holder. For $ 999.99 dollars it's just the basic lawnmower. For the mulching plug or 2 pin bagger to pick your grass up they are separate items that you have to buy. The plug is $39.99.

This Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower has a deck that is propelled by 2 home styled blades just mainly shoots the grass out of the side opening. The front tires are beaded stripe lawn and turf style, and the rear tires are Z grooved to hold up better on hilly sections of your property. This mower had the plugged/mulch attachment but with the length of the grass and how wet it was I decided on cutting it twice. Clumps form when you mow/mulch wet grass and it clogs the inside of your deck. So cutting it first and letting those clipping dry in the sun made it look sharp the second time I went over it. This mower you have to lower your speed as you turn. The front wheels allow you a turning ratio of 18 inches, very different than a zero turn mower.

On this Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower there is a limited 2 year warranty on engine and transmission, axles. The Briggs and Stratton engines are nice, but on a small mower like this and along with the deck vibrating it's really not bad at all but coming from a zero turn is like going from a BMW to a Ford Escort.

Overall Assumption: This little riding mower isn't bad for it just to being a "plain and simple" model. You have to navigate wider turns. The 1.5 fuel tank is good for almost 2 acres of land depending your speeds and the symmetrically lay-out of the property.This rider mower has no deck wheels to prevent scalping. My experience is cutting from the next highest up which is 3.5 inches. It has 5 different choices, but on level one you are cutting dirt. If your looking for a riding mower that's pure and simple the Troy-Bilt 17.5-HP Manual 42" Riding Mower is for you.

Thanks for reading !!!