Tylenol Pm Extra Strength 100 Caplets Reviews

Tylenol Pm Extra Strength 100 Caplets

What do Tylenol and Benadryl have in common? Tylenol PM.

Dec 28, 2006

Pros:Easy to swallow, alleviates minor aches and pain, makes most people drowsy

Cons:Not my choice for pain relievers, sleep aid is just an antihistamine, hung over feeling

The Bottom Line: The sleep aid is a simple antihistamine which makes some drowsy but don't expect to sleep like a brick when you take this.

My oldest son pulled a muscle and was in all kinds of pain. He couldn't sleep and was miserable. He hates medication but he really did need it this time.

I bought Tylenol Extra Strength PM Caplets, Extra Strength Pain Reliever & Sleep Aid for him and for the family when the need arose.

This medication is really just Tylenol with an antihistamine added. It's not a big secret formula but it works fairly well to relieve pain and cause some drowsiness which helps people to sleep. However, there is a bit of a hangover feeling the next day after using it - at least for my son and I. Also, Tylenol just doesn't seem to tackle my pain like other pain relievers do.

About This Product

Contains No Aspirin
You can feel good knowing Tylenol PM:
is non-habit forming
contains no aspirin and won't irritate your stomach
helps you wake up refreshed (best if taken at least 6 hours before you need to wake up.)

www.drugstore.com

The Packaging

These caplets come in a red and blue box with a white bottle inside. The caplets are blue and oval shaped. They're fairly easy to swallow and medium sized. I bought a 150-count box and did not see any smaller quantities but I assume there must be. Who needs that much pain reliever/sleep aid around their house?

My Use

Well, at first, I didn't use it. I gave two caplets to my son who relented when the pain was at its worse and took them. He said his pain was a little better about a half an hour later and he did feel drowsy and ready to sleep. He hadn't slept in a few nights so he really needed it. He woke up from the pain about six hours later and felt groggy. He had to be to work but was going slooowww. He perked up after about 45 minutes and was no longer feeling that hung over feeling (which neither he nor I have ever felt but I assume that is what it feels like).

That night my son told me he was never taking the medication again because he didn't want to get hooked on it. I told him it was ONLY Benadryl not some strong sleeping pill and he relented and took two caplets again before bed. He slept for about six hours before getting up and taking Motrin. That worked better for his pain and he slept fine after that.

I have long taken Benadryl or its equivalent at night if I was really wound up and couldn't shut my brain up. I often take my stress to bed with me and lie there thinking, thinking, thinking. That is usually OK unless I have to be up and be somewhere and need at least a few hours of good sleep. Antihistamines make me drowsy and help me to sleep. So, when I reinjured my neck recently and was having trouble lying in bed without feeling throbbing pain, I took Tylenol Extra Strength PM Caplets, Extra Strength Pain Reliever & Sleep Aid before I attempted sleep. The pain started to fade away some after about 30 minutes.

Tylenol is not my pain reliever of choice but it was there and it had the antihistamine in it which I was hoping would help me to sleep and not wake up from the pain every time I turned my head.

I fell asleep without a lot of fuss and slept for a few hours until my stupid neck started acting up again. No amount of antihistamine can block out the kind of pain I was in and allow me to sleep through it, darn it.

I tossed and turned for a while and, once the medication wore off, took Aleve and that helped quite a bit. Once the pain was gone, I could sleep.

I have since taken this medication when I had cramps and it works pretty well for that. The combination of non-aspirin pain reliever (You don't want to take aspirin products during that time) and the antihistamine allows me to get a good night's sleep. However, I do feel a little drowsy and not as sharp when I wake up. That happens when I just take antihistamines alone at night so I wasn't shocked by it. It takes about 30-45 minutes to feel really awake.

So, does this work? Well if you have pain that reacts well to Tylenol, the antihistamine will make you a little drowsy and help you to sleep. I think it is ridiculous to call the antihistamine a "sleep aid" when I take it for allergies all day long and never once have fallen asleep while going about my life.

You could take a couple of Tylenol and an antihistamine and get the exact results. Still, these caplets have a place in some people's medicine cabinets and will help relieve pain and make you drowsy which will, in turn, help you to sleep.

Usage

Adults and children 12 years of age and older: Take 2 caplets at bedtime or as directed by physician. Do not exceed recommended dosage.
Children under 12 years of age: Do not use this adult product in children under 12 years of age: this will provide more than the recommended dose (overdose) and may cause liver damage.

Ingredients

Active Ingredients: Acetaminophen (500 mg) (Pain Reliever), Diphenhydramine HCl (25 mg) (Sleep Aid)

Inactive Ingredients: Carnauba Wax, Cellulose, Corn Starch, FD&C Blue 1, FD&C Blue 2, Hypromellose, Magnesium Stearate, Polyethylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Starch Glycolate, Titanium Dioxide

Conclusion

Diphenhydramine HCl is the same ingredient as in Benadryl - a simple antihistamine. If you don't get drowsy when taking Benadryl or other antihistamines, you won't with this medication.

Tylenol Extra Strength PM Caplets, Extra Strength Pain Reliever & Sleep Aid does help to tackle minor pain and aches and does make most people a bit drowsy. If you are in pain and need a little help to fall asleep, this medication could be a good one for you. The Tylenol tackles many types of pain and the antihistamine usually causes drowsiness in most adults.

You don't have to worry about being addicted to this since it is only a small dose of a common antihistamine that causes drowsiness. You also don't have to worry that you will fall so heavily asleep that you won't wake up if you need to.

For occasional use, this is a good product for people who react well to Tylenol. I don't find it helps my pain much. It's not a favorite in my household but it does have a place, especially when I have cramps and find myself tossing and turning and unable to sleep. Sure, I could take Tylenol and a Benadryl or equivalent and get the same results but taking a couple of these is easier and seems less like I am loading up on pills.

The only real drawback is the somewhat drowsy feeling I have in the morning that I have to shake off before I feel like my hyper self. You may not experience this. I am quite sensitive to sedating medications.

This is a somewhat misleading medication - saying it has a sleep aid when it is just a common antihistamine - but it does work to help alleviate pain and make people drowsy. I give it 3 stars based on personal experience in my household. Other pain relievers work better for us.

You could achieve the same results with any acetaminophen product and any antihistamine - but why go through the trouble when Tylenol does it for you?

If Tylenol alleviates your pain, this formula may be a good one for you for nighttime relief and to help you fall asleep.

Tylenol PM Extra Strength Caplets

Tylenol PM Extra Strength Caplets

Find sleeping aids and travel sickness at Target.com! Recommended by doctors and delivers fast-acting pain relief. Uses: temporarily relieves minor ac...

Tylenol Extra-strength Caplets 225 Count

Tylenol Extra-strength Caplets 225 Count

For sale Tylenol PM Extra-Strength Caplets 225 Count. Depend on this extra-strength formula to relieve throbbing, aching pain. These caplets also work...

Tylenol PM Extra Strength Caplets - 100 Count

Tylenol PM Extra Strength Caplets - 100 Count

Tylenol PM Extra Strength Caplets - 24 Count

Tylenol PM Extra Strength Caplets - 24 Count

Extra Strength Tylenol - Pain Reliever - Nighttime Sleep Aid 225 Caplets

Extra Strength Tylenol - Pain Reliever - Nighttime Sleep Aid 225 Caplets

Extra Strength TYLENOL PM Acetaminophen, Diphenhydramine HCI Pain Reliever, Nighttime Sleep Aid - 225 Caplets Pain Reliever Nighttime Sleep Aid Non-ha...

Tylenol Extra Strength Caplets (2 Pack)

Tylenol Extra Strength Caplets (2 Pack)

Have Questions? Frequently Asked Questions | Contact Us | Store Policy Tylenol Extra Strength Caplets (2 Pack) OUR SKU# ZCO1007 | MPN: LIL97477 Condit...

Tylenol 225 Caplets. Nighttime Sleep Aid. Non Habit Formula Free Ship Nib.

Tylenol 225 Caplets. Nighttime Sleep Aid. Non Habit Formula Free Ship Nib.

EXCEDRIN Extra Strength 300 Tablets, Brand New Pain Reliever This is a New Large Sealed Bottle of Extra StrengthTylenol PM 225 Caplets. For effective ...

Tylenol Extra Strength

Tylenol Extra Strength

This item is sold by cases of: [100] items.Tylenol Extra Strength Individual sealed packet of 2 caplets. This tylenol extra strength pain reliever is ...
Tylenol(R) Extra Strength, Box Of 50

Tylenol(R) Extra Strength, Box Of 50

Reduces fever and great for temporary relief of minor aches and pains Can be used for headaches, muscular aches, backache, minor pain of arthritis, th...
Office Depot