TyphoonMax X500 Reviews

TyphoonMax X500

Inflation Can be a Good Thing

Jan 23, 2007

Pros:Well built, quality product. Works as advertised.

Cons:Nothing major. Use of the gauge alone could be better.

The Bottom Line: This is far superior to any of the bargain inflators I've bought in the past. This one's the real deal.

It was one of those impulsive, spur of the moment purchases of something I didn’t really need, of something I already had. I was drawn to this one by its price, its features, and the pie in the sky promises on its packaging. The Typhoon Max X500, manufactured by Interdynamics is an air compressor used to inflating car tires or other inflatables. I carry a little tire inflator in my car for emergencies. It replaced another tinker toy device that expired after a couple years. My present inflator plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle of the vehicle, bounces in circles while the tire inflates with painful slowness, and can be heard in the next county. It has a small, somewhat accurate tire pressure gauge made all the more difficult to read by the nonstop walking of the inflator. The Typhoon Max, I figured, had to be better.

Features and Stats

From the packaging:
Uses Direct-Drive motor technology for ultra-fast inflation
Quieter operation and longer product life
Removable gauge for quick, convenient pressure checks
Powerful work light
Innovative chuck handle for easy, comfortable connection to the tire stem
Retractable 15 foot cord for speed and convenience
Storage compartment for two foot hose
Adaptors for sports balls, bicycle tires and other inflatables, even potato heads
Up to 3x faster than standard 12V compressors
Three year limited warranty
Heavy Duty Power Inflation

And from the web site:
Extensive shock proof cushioning
High impact brass chuck
Extra strength gauge housing and lens
Die cast metal handle end caps
Gearless system avoids heat and wear to assure long life
Extra large, easy to read gauge
Ergonomic chuck handle for quick connection
Adaptors included for recreational inflatables

How to Use

Attach chuck at end of hose to tire valve and turn to screw chuck onto tire stem.
Plug cord into cigarette lighter of vehicle and turn switch on to start.
Inflate to required pressure, turn switch off, remove hose from tire valve.

IMPORTANT – Keep your engine running while operating the compressor. This will shorten inflation time and safeguard you battery’s reserve power.

My experience
Though I was swayed by the promises above, I didn’t remove the compressor from its packaging for several day, unsure if I would keep it. Though I found little information on the Internet about the Typhoon Max, I did notice that it was being sold for 60 dollars by most vendors. I paid thirty at BJ’s. Finally convincing myself of the great deal I had scored, I removed the X500 from its packaging and headed outside to the cars.

This is a heavy tool, about ten pounds according to our scale. It looks and feels well made, and appears to be constructed of durable, high quality materials. Its metal handle with soft rubber grip fits the hand comfortably. The removable gauge is large and easy to read even for my weak eyes. The rubber bezel circling it gives it a look and feel of quality. Tire pressure is measured in pounds (psi) and kg/cm² for those who prefer metric. With a slight turn and some jiggling the gauge can be removed and used as a conventional tire gauge. Push nozzle onto the valve stem and read pressure.

I had some trouble removing the gauge from the tire stem when used in this manner. The pressure can also be read by attaching the chuck to the stem of the tire with the compressor off. Both methods produced the same reading, but I found it easier to just attach the chuck and leave the gauge in place.

The power cord is plenty long enough to reach all four tires. I open both front windows and run the cord through the window on the side of the tires I’m inflating. The retractable cord feature is convenient and much better than the troublesome tangled cord of my other inflator. To retract the cord, just turn the reel on the back of the compressor clockwise.

None of the tires on either of our cars needed air, but I wanted to test my new toy.
To do this I removed about five pounds of pressure from the Subaru’s rear tire and hoped the Typhoon Max would perform as promised. It did. This compressor is not quiet, by any means, but it didn’t budge from its spot during operation, and did its job with impressive speed. I also tested the light on the side of the unit. It is more than adequate for any nighttime emergency, and there’s no danger of it going dim like a flashlight, as long as the car’s engine is running.

I like how the chuck attaches to the stem. It’s as easy as screwing on a valve stem cover. There’s some minor air loss during the attachment process, but that will occur with any tire inflator. The tire gauge reading seemed alarmingly too high while the compressor was running. I’ve since learned that to get an accurate reading of the pressure, it’s best to temporarily turn the compressor off. The tire pressure cannot be preset so the compressor will not automatically turn itself off. For this reason the compressor must be monitored carefully and continuously during operation.

Two screws hold the light’s lens. It would seem to be a simple procedure to replace the bulb.
If you open this thing inside expect a sudden and foul odor like new tires close up. This is probably because both ends and the handle are encased in black rubber.

Two adapters are included for sports balls and other inflatables. They’re wedged tightly in a recess on the side. I’ll need a screwdriver to pry them loose if I ever need them.

The cover for the air hose compartment is attached to the body with a chain. This is a handy and thoughtful inclusion, because it would be very easy to lose this piece.

This is a well-made piece of equipment that should serve its owner well for many years. While using this instrument I feel the essence of the community of mankind for “to air is human.”

Interdynamics

Interdynamics has its headquarters in Tarrytown, NY and a research facility in Yonkers, NY. They’re been serving the automotive aftermarket for over thirty years. They invented the first 12-volt air compressor and created the first do-it-yourself A/C recharging kit. The company produces a variety of automotive products including: air conditioning products, air compressors and inflators, buffers and bonnets, and coolant return kits. Among the retailers carrying their products are: BJ’s Warehouse Club, AutoZone, Auto Barn, Lappen Auto Supply, JC Whitney, Camping World, Bass Pro, National Auto Stores, Wal-Mart, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, and Target.

Many thanks again to the G.M. for adding this product quickly and courteously.

Kenwood X500-1 500watts Mono Car Amplifier Brand

Kenwood X500-1 500watts Mono Car Amplifier Brand

Maximize the bass response of your car’s stereo system with the Kenwood X500-1 car amplifier. With peak power output of 1000 watts, this Kenwood car...

Kenwood Excelon X500-1  500W x 1 @ 2 Ohm Car Amplifier

Kenwood Excelon X500-1 500W x 1 @ 2 Ohm Car Amplifier

500W x 1 @ 2 Ohm Car Amplifier 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms,Class-D design,preamp inputs
Crutchfield

Kenwood X500-1 500W Mono Amplifier

Kenwood X500-1 500W Mono Amplifier

Low & High-Pass Filter Bass Boost & Cooling Fan 500W RMS x 1 @ 2 Ohms
Kenwood Excelon X500-1 Performance Series Mono 500-watt Power Amplifier

Kenwood Excelon X500-1 Performance Series Mono 500-watt Power Amplifier

X500-1 Kenwood eXcelon X500-1 500W RMS Monoblock eXcelon Series Digital Power Amplifier UPC Code : 019048197566 Product Description :Monoblock eXcelon...

MyPrinterParts

BestTonerShop

100% New Compatible C500S2KG LEXMARK X500 X502 TONER CARTRIDE BLACK 2.5K Each
Besttonerbuys

GenuineBrandSupplies.com

DELL X700J 500gb-7200rpm Sata Hard Drives

DELL X700J 500gb-7200rpm Sata Hard Drives

DELL - 500GB 7200RPM SATA 16MB BUFFER 7-PIN 3.5INCH HARD DISK DRIVE WITH TRAY(X700J) FOR POWEREDGE T410/R710/R510/R410 SERVERS (X700J). . IN STOCK.
Server Supply

Projector Lamp VLT-X500LP / 499B028-10 for MITSUBISHI LVP-S490 LVP-S490U LVP-X490 LVP-X490U LVP-X500 LVP-X500U S490 X490 X500 S490U X490U X500U / YOKOGAWA D-4100X

Mwave.com