Ultralux 55 Watt Full Spectrum Desk Lamp

I was SAD until you came along and lit up my life

Oct 17, 2005 (Updated Dec 3, 2005)

Pros:Wonderful lighting, long lasting bulbs, stays cool, dimmer switch, can be used year round.

Cons:Seems expensive until you experience the benefits

The Bottom Line: If you suffer from SAD or winter blahs, this lamp can help. Clear full spectrum light will increase productivity and visibility and make you feel great!

I have a condition called “Seasonal Affective Disorder”. It’s not quite as scary as it sounds but it is troublesome. In the fall and winter months, because there is so little sunlight here in New York, I get sluggish, low, tired, and generally less productive than in the brighter months. Some people have it so bad that they become severely depressed and need medication seasonally. It was once suggested to me but there was no way I was going to put a chemical in my body from September until May, then quit, and then start all over again year after year.

I decided to go the alternative route. My first purchase was a large 10,000 LUX full spectrum light box that I used to use every day for an hour. My next purchases were less exclusive to me but for everyone in the family because more people get the “winter blahs” than admit or realize it. Not all have actual SAD but, if you feel less productive, sleepy, or just generally not as good in the darker winter months, there is a way to feel better – without drugs.

I bought two Ultralux 55 Watt Full Spectrum Desk Lamps a couple years ago along with two floor ones. They’re not cheap but they sure make those lazy, hazy winter months more productive for me – and everyone else in the house.

The Official Word

This is just a little bit about this lamp:

Dimmable Task Lamp & Powerful Light Therapy Fixture All In One Unit "Bring the optical brilliance of sunlight indoors with the flick of a switch. You will be able to see details more clearly and colors accurately. These powerful full spectrum lights can also be used to treat “Seasonal Affective Disorder” or S.A.D. Fully functional Task Lamps for reading, artwork, sewing and any type of other work station application.

What is this Lamp?

The Ultralux 55 Watt Full Spectrum Desk Lamp is a versatile desk lamp that produces bright, wonderful light while you read, work on the computer, write, or do anything you would normally do with a desk lamp on. It’s not beautiful but it is so functional.

The lamp is a gooseneck one on a heavy base. It comes in both black and white and looks a lot like a typical office lamp. It has a dimmable switch so you can decide how much light you want. I generally keep mine somewhere in the middle or even at the lower end unless I am using it for theraputic reasons. It has a powerful 55 watt full spectrum bulb that is as bright as a 250 watt incandescent or a 300 watt halogen one. Full spectrum lighting is what our eyes and our brain need to get the benefit of light therapy. The short story is that certain chemicals are produced when we get enough full spectrum light and they lift our spirits and, in my case when used properly, alleviate symptoms of SAD. A plus to this lamp (among the many others) is that it takes 75% less electricity than a standard halogen lamp and never gets too hot.

The lamp is about 16" tall. The rectangular head of it is 16" long by about 6" wide. The base of the lamp, which is weighted so it doesn’t tip over easily, is 10 x 8".

You use this lamp anywhere you need good, clear lighting. While you work, you get the benefit of mood lifting full spectrum light.

Depending on how far away the lamp is from you, you could use this lamp as light therapy – which is how I used my larger light box all winter long. I now use this lamp on the highest setting for an hour a day and find it to be just as effective and much less restrictive that a big light box. If the lamp is set further away or kept dimmer, you still get plenty of benefits but it won’t give you the medical therapy that true SAD sufferers need.

The gooseneck arm can be adjusted to your preference but is not fully adjustable all the way down. The last 1/3 of the arm is adjustable.

My Experience

After buying the large light box several years ago and actually using it daily, I saw marked improvement in my SAD. I even took the light box with me all over the country during the winter months so I didn’t miss a day. I was so elated to feel human again after years of dragging all winter. When I decided that our house was just too dim, I purchased the desk and floor lamps. I did plenty of research first to find the best price, best lighting options, and overall most versatile lamp and this one is it.

I use one desk lamp on my computer table and one on my nightstand in my bedroom. The dimming switch comes in handy when my husband is sleeping and I am reading because it is quite bright on full strength and I don’t want to wake him up. Usually, though, I keep the switch in the middle and bask in the faux sunlight.

The lamp, which is made up of metal and plastic, is sturdy and fits pretty much much any dcor. It’s not fancy but it blends in fine on desks or nightstands. The light is a much clearer light that regular halogen light. It’s bright white but not so glaring that your eyes hurt or that it’s annoying. Quote the contrary, I find the light extremely pleasant and it helps me to concentrate on my tasks.

My kids and husband all use the light on this desk where I am typing this review. I never told my kids that it was anything more than a simple desk lamp. If they knew, they wouldn’t use it, thinking it was some sort of “weird light for depression” which, in a way, it is. They use it whenever they are in the room and have never had a problem with it in any way.

Everyone can use a little more sunlight and this lamp simulates the good part of the sun without the bad ultra violet rays. This is NOT a tanning lamp and you can sit in front of it for hours and not gain any sort of color from it. Those tanning rays and other harmful ones have been filtered out, leaving the light we all need to make Vitamin D and to feel energetic in.

The bulbs seem to last forever. The instructions say they last 10,000 hours. I have had my lamps for well over two years and they show no signs of blowing. When they do, replacement bulbs are about $30.00, sometimes much less depending on where you purchase them.

One other plus is that this lamp is portable. It’s very easy to pick it up and plug it in anywhere and use it. I sometimes bring mine into the basement when I am working out on my bike or elliptical machine to give me a little motivation. I tell ya, it’s like being in the tropics without the palm trees, sand, water, and cabana boys. Hmm. Well, it’s like being in the sun devoid of the harmful rays anyway.

I know I always feel better when I am outside on a nice day. This lamp emulates that feeling and no SPF is required. It’s safe for all ages and people with or without winter time blues will love it.

Nothing is better than good, clear lighting when you’re trying to get a task done or to read a book.

I think everyone, especially in the northeast where we don’t get a load of natural sunlight, should have at least a couple of these lamps around. They’re high quality, the bulb is long lasting, and the light is pure. And, if you suffer at all from the winter blahs, what better way to alleviate them than to flip the switch and let the sun shine in?

Buying Info

Full Spectrum Lighting is available at many health and lighting stores as the benefits of it are really becoming known lately. This lamp can be purchased at a variety of online stores that sell lamps. It is not exclusively a light therapy lamp and is sold for crafts, sewing, and reading so you can find it on many different types of sites.

I have not seen this lamp at a brick and mortar store but, to be honest, I never looked. I have all I need and I don’t generally look for what I don’t need. I am sure there are lighting stores that carry this particular lamp as it is one of the more popular lamps of its kind.

I paid about $130.00 for mine but prices vary and comparison shopping can save you cash.

Conclusion

I’m not SAD any longer thanks to a combination of my Ultralux 55 Watt Full Spectrum Desk Lamps and my accompanying Ultralux 55 Watt Full Spectrum Floor Lamps. I will be reviewing the floor lamps soon.

Buying full spectrum lamps seems simple but beware. Some aren’t bright enough or don’t last long enough like my Floor Ott-Lite Vision Saver Lamp which I bought before I got these. That one pooped out on me after only about four months and was not bright enough to give me any true benefits.

The Ultralux 55 Watt Full Spectrum Desk Lamp is compact enough to use on any desk, well made, has a very convenient dimmer switch, and the bulbs seemingly last forever.

It’s a great investment whether you want to boost your energy during the dim months or just want a good, clear lamp to use while working on projects or reading.

I’m very satisfied with my lamps and I no longer slow down and drag around all winter long and that is a big plus for my whole family. This lamp would make a great one for a kid’s desk when he or she does homework. Let the sun shine in and give your child crisp light to work by and watch productivity improve.

I’m convinced the combination of these lamps saved me from having to take antidepressants during the winter months and I feel just as energetic in the haze of winter as I do in the bright light of summer now.

5 stars for helping me to live happily year round.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions I haven’t addressed in this review about this lamp or full spectrum lighting and light therapy in general.

Read my review of a not so great full spectrum lamp: Ott-Lite Vision Saver 18 Watt Floor Lamp

55 Watt Full Spectrum Replacement Bulb UltraLux Desk/Floor Lamp

55 Watt Full Spectrum Replacement Bulb UltraLux Desk/Floor Lamp

Full Spectrum UltraLux Replacement Bulb. New sturdier bulb design. For UltraLux 55 watt Floor Lamp or Desk Lamp
36w Full Spectrum UltraLux Replacement Bulb Desk/Floor Lamp

36w Full Spectrum UltraLux Replacement Bulb Desk/Floor Lamp

Full Spectrum UltraLux Replacement Bulb. Use for: UltraLux 36w Floor or Desk Lamp (not for use in any other brand of lamp). Wattage: 36 watts, Length...
Ultralux 13w Swing Arm Full Spectrum Task and Reading Lamp

Ultralux 13w Swing Arm Full Spectrum Task and Reading Lamp

UltraLux 13w Swing ArmFull Spectrum Task lamp and Reading lamp. Full Spectrum Swing Arm light for all your close-up detail work. Great for sewing, ar...
UltraLux 36w Brass Dimmable Desk Lamp

UltraLux 36w Brass Dimmable Desk Lamp

UltraLux 36w Brass Dimmable Desk Lamp. Patented dimmable flex arm lighting system puts light where you need it. Powerful 36 watt full spectrum bulb is...

UltraLux Black Clip on Lamp

UltraLux Black Clip on Lamp

UltraLux Black Clip-On Lamp. Portable full spectrum light for all your close-up detail work. Clamps on easily to a desk or other surface. Great for se...
70w Full Spectrum UltraLux Serenity Replacement Bulb

70w Full Spectrum UltraLux Serenity Replacement Bulb

Full Spectrum UltraLux Replacement Bulb. Use for: Ultralux 70 watt Serenity Table or Floor Lamps. Wattage: 70 watts, CRI: 91+ Kelvin: 5500, Lumens: 4...
UltraLux 13w Portable Full Spectrum Task and Reading Lamp

UltraLux 13w Portable Full Spectrum Task and Reading Lamp

UltraLux 13w Portable Full Spectrum Task lamp and Reading lamp. Full Spectrum portable light for all your close-up detail work. Great for sewing, art...
26w UltraLux Full Spectrum Replacement bulb

26w UltraLux Full Spectrum Replacement bulb

26w Replacement Bulb | Use for: Older model UltraLux I (discontinued 26w model) and ParaLite | Wattage: 26 watts | Length: 6.50 | CRI: 91+ | Kelvin: ...
42w Full Spectrum Replacement Bulb UltraLux I Light Box

42w Full Spectrum Replacement Bulb UltraLux I Light Box

Full Spectrum UltraLux Replacement Bulb. Use for: UltraLux I Light Box 42w Unit. This lamp will fit most fixtures that use 3U 42watt CFLs. Wattage: 42...
UltraLux 70w HD Executive Tochiere Full Spectrum Floor Lamp, Black

UltraLux 70w HD Executive Tochiere Full Spectrum Floor Lamp, Black

UltraLux 70w HD Executive Torchiere, Full Spectrum Floor Lamp in a black finish. Provides as much full spectrum light as a 300w halogen but operates m...