Underwood Deviled Ham Spread, 4.25-Ounce Cans (Pack of 24)

Underwood Deviled Ham Spread ~ Don't Judge it by its Cat Food Looks

Jan 13, 2009

Pros:Spicy taste, good on sandwiches or crackers, easy to store protein source

Cons:No way to reseal the can

The Bottom Line: Good to have in the pantry for a quick, delicious sandwich or cracker spread. Bold, spicy taste.

I've been a big fan of Underwood Deviled Ham Spread for years, and always keep some in the pantry as a quick sandwich option.

~ Product Description

Underwood Deviled Ham Spread comes packaged in a 4.25 oz. can that has a metal lid equipped with a pull tab. The can is wrapped in paper. There is no plastic cover for leftovers, which we are told should be refrigerated.

Check out the simple, natural ingredients in this ham spread:

Ham (cured with water, salt, brown sugar, sodium nitrite), and seasoning (mustard flour, spices, turmeric.) That's it - ham and spices!

Underwood makes a few suggestions for uses on the wrapper: Use this in sandwiches, wraps, salads, dips, tacos and quesadillas.

~ Nutritional Information

Each 1/4 cup serving contains the following: (There are two servings per can.)

Calories - 180
Total Carbohydrates - 1g
Fiber - 0g
Sugars - 0g
Protein - 8g

Yes, it is rather high in sodium, but low in carbohydrates and sugar, while still having high protein.

~ My Experience

When you first open a can of Underwood Deviled Ham Spread you can notice a nice, spicy, hammy scent. You might see a little coagulated fat, especially if the can has been stored somewhere cold or cool. It is very moist, and yes, it looks like cat food - I can't think of a better way to describe it. It doesn't crumble, holds together well, and is easy to spread, even after it has been opened and refrigerated.

I use this almost exclusively as a sandwich spread. Sometimes I'll put mayonnaise on the bread with a piece of lettuce, or other times nothing but the ham spread on a slice of bread. You could also add a piece of cheese on your sandwich.  It's great! I love this also as a cracker spread - delicious!

The taste is quite spicy, and in fact might even be too spicy for some people's tastes, but I think it's perfect. Children usually enjoy this.

While Underwood suggests this for a salad, that wouldn't be my choice, nor would I use this in tacos, but maybe that would appeal to someone else.

This is a great protein product with a longer shelf life, and good to just have on hand. If you know someone with, say, dental issues, this is a good meat alternative that is easy to chew.

One can will yield two regular-sized sandwiches, or one BIG sandwhich. If you do have leftovers, there is no plastic lid to reseal the can, but that's the only con I can think of.

~ Final Thoughts

Underwood Deviled Ham Spread is always in my pantry for a quick, easy sandwich or cracker spread. It has a bold, spicy taste that is delicious and satisfying. If you have never tried it - check it out!

Underwood Deviled Ham Spread 4.25 Oz Can

Underwood Deviled Ham Spread 4.25 Oz Can

UNDERWOOD DEVILED HAM SPREAD 4.25 OZ CAN EXPIRATION DATE ALWAYS FRESH Posted with eBay Mobile

UnderwoodŽ White Meat Only Chicken Spread (4 Pack) 4.25 Oz Cans