Up the ladder, down the slide--so much to fun play outside

Nov 13, 2004

Pros:Sing-song repetition, cute colorful pictures, fun story.

Cons:None.

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend this book because my son and I both love it.

Up the Ladder, Down the Slide by Betsy Everitt is an excellent children's book. The pictures are bright and colorful. The people and animals are drawn rather abstractly, mildly child-like. The story is a sing-song rhyme about going to the park, playing with friends, and sharing. The print is large, and there is only one sentence per page. An excerpt from the book (spread over 5 pages): "At the park we say come over. Share the big blue blanket. Push the swing. We all sing. Up the ladder, down the slide, so much fun to play outside." As the book progresses, the children spread out their blanket, share their blanket, have a snack on their blanket, then fold their blanket and go home, stopping between each blanket activity to go up the ladder and down the slide. My son's favorite part of the pictures is the little red bird, who plays on the slide and eats the food with the children.

We got this book as a gift when my son was a baby. My son is 4 1/2 now, and he still likes to read Up the Ladder, Down the Slide with me. It has repetition, so my son can "read" parts of the story.

I recently began teaching toddlers in a Kid's Day Out program at my church, and we have a strict rule about going up the steps and down the slide on the playground, so I use this rhyme every day that we go outside--"Up the ladder, down the slide, so much fun to play outside." I also did a layout in my son's scrapbook of him playing at the park and used "Up the ladder, down the slide" as my title.

There is nothing that I dislike about Up the Ladder, Down the Slide.