Valspar Corporation Plastic Paint

4 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: OK

Valspar Paint for Plastic; inferior

Jul 10, 2010 (Updated Jul 10, 2010)

Pros:Color matched the chair. Nice instructions on the website.

Cons:Poor coverage and drippy.  Spray nozzle hurt my finger.

The Bottom Line:

I would not recommend Valspar, due to the thin consistency (poor coverage), tendency to drip (while correcting issues created from the consistency), and discomfort experienced during application.

This review started out as a comparison of 3 products: Krylon, Valspar, and Rustoleum.  Please see my reviews for Krylon and Rustoleum on their separate pages.  My apologies for some necessary overlap.

Condition of my patio furniture
I took on the challenge of spray-painting six plastic patio chairs and a table instead of replacing them. All the pieces are fairly old, I'll say 6 -7 years or so, and have never been refinished. They were all fairly weathered from being outdoors most of that time, and subject to the elements of the four seasons.

Weather conditions for applying paint
I deliberately chose a day to paint when there was little, to no wind. I worked in a shaded area, and the temperature was about 80 degrees with low humidity.  (Ideal conditions are 50 - 90 degrees, and humidity no more than 85%.)

Furniture preparation
The first thing I did was to wash any dirt, dust, mildew, or bugs off the chairs and table, using a sponge, soapy water and a greenie pad for the more stubborn grime. (Each brand of paint has its own suggested method for cleaning plastic. I didn't observe any brand's instructions, specifically.)  I let the sun do the drying, and I did not apply paint until the chairs were totally dry.

Valspar® Plastic Paint
I had originally started my paint project using Krylon paint, and had finished 2 chairs with that brand.  Not being in a rush to complete the job, I happened to be in Lowes the following evening. There, I picked up a can of Valspar® Plastic Paint, also in Hunter Green. (I knew there was a chance it wouldn't match the Krylon, but I chose to walk on the wild side.)  This paint comes in nine colors which are viewable from their website:  http://www.valsparspray.com/.  Additionally, the website offers step by step video instructions. Of course, I matched up the paint color with the Krylon color in an inconspicuous spot, and found that the colors matched perfectly.

One problem I had with the Valspar is the spray nozzle.  My finger got tired of holding it down shortly after completing the first chair and I noticed I had a red dent in my finger from applying the necessary pressure.  The second problem was coverage. I applied it in the same sweeping motion, as the Krylon, but it was thin and just wasn't uniform, and as I re-sprayed the necessary areas, to enhance the coverage, it seemed to make matters worse. I tried holding the paint closer to the chair, for better coverage, but that just made for drippy paint.

The paint took about 15 minutes to dry to the touch, in areas I didn't have to repaint. The end result was a flat dark green color, but still some patches weren't covered as well as others.

Notes:
All three spray paints state that primer is not necessary on plastic.
All three brands were in the $5.00/can range.
One can of paint covered two full chairs with some left over.
All brands need full 5-7 days to become chip resistant

Valspar Premium Gloss White Spray Paint: Item 65000

Valspar Premium Gloss White Spray Paint: Item 65000

Untitled Document PRODUCT IMAGE Valspar Premium Gloss White Spray Paint: Item# 65000 DESCRIPTION Valspar 410-65000 12 oz Gloss Premium Spray Paint, Wh...

Valspar 8-oz Gas Light Interior Satin Paint Sample AR224GASLIGHT

Valspar 8-oz Gas Light Interior Satin Paint Sample AR224GASLIGHT

Try your color before you paint the entire room. Test color in the natural light of your home among your furnishings. Covers a 4' x 4' area.

Valspar Quart Interior/exterior Flat Blue Zone Marking Paint

Valspar Quart Interior/exterior Flat Blue Zone Marking Paint

ebay template Store Home View All Listings View Auctions Only View Buy It Now Only On Sale Feedback Ask A Seller A Question Add my Store to your Favor...

Valspar 4432-03 Allis Chalmers Orange Tractor And Implement Paint - 1 Quart

Valspar 4432-03 Allis Chalmers Orange Tractor And Implement Paint - 1 Quart

Irresistible Deals 4 You NEW Valspar 4432-03 Allis Chalmers Orange Tractor and Implement Paint - 1 Quart - We only sell Brand New items. - This item i...

Valspar Gallon Metal Paint Bucket 007.0060689.000

Valspar Gallon Metal Paint Bucket 007.0060689.000

Gallon size paint can. Includes lid and handle. Great for paints, stains, crafts or storage.

Gallon Valspar 6404313 Brown Anti-rust Industrial Enamel Oil Paint Sale

Gallon Valspar 6404313 Brown Anti-rust Industrial Enamel Oil Paint Sale

VALSPAR PAINT ANTI-RUST GALLON SIZE BROWN GREAT SALE PRICE SHIPPING IS 8.00 FOR EACH ADDITIONAL GALLON OF PAINT.Offers rust protection. Resists cracki...

Valspar 8-oz Green Water Interior Satin Paint Sample 007.0178909.003